If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#274579 by rco331 Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:22 pm
I almost fell for this....until she told me I had to order my own laptop and supplies etc. I received a check today which of course I will not be cashing but wanted to have some 'evidence'. Not that it will stop them. They will just become someone else.

This is some of our conversation through yahoo messenger:

About the company:

CK Birla Group!!!. , is establishing a branch office/Central Database Station in your area in the next couple of months.... Due to the volumes of our service client base, we are currently recruiting via online potential employees who would eventually have an office space.
bylextech: We are looking to expand into over 15 new locations within USA,in the next 2 years.Since our company is expanding at a very fast pace, we are looking for candidates who want to grow in a growing industry and get to management levels in less than one year.
bylextech: For now, this is going to be an online and work from home job. The working hours are flexible where you could choose to work from anywhere of your choice. CK Birla Group!! is a technology-driven diversified industrial company serving attractive global markets, including automotive systems, electronic devices, aerospace and defense, industrial and medical. Bylex Technology is accelerating the pace of change to drive stockholder value. Our focus on thinking forward is reflected in our innovative solutions for customers, capital deployment, competitive repositioning and cost optimization activities, and strengthened leadership team. While our priority is a substantial, near-term impact to further improve our operations and financial performance, we have not lost sight of the longer-term opportunities.

bylextech: Before you start work you will receive a payment(Check) ,you will be using this payment (check)to set up your mini office by purchasing some office equipment and accounting software, immediately you get this payment you start work fully.
bylextech: Do you know your clerical speed?

Do you have an idea of how to use ms excel?

When I asked for a website to be able to verify the offer she gave me <removed the link to the website as it appears to be a legitimate company the scammer is using to add credibility to his scam Mike W> which only had contact info for India and the email bounced.

SO THANKFUL MY INSTINCTS WERE SHARP. So stupid.
Advertisement

#274614 by Mike Wilson Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:28 pm
Hello rco331,
I am happy to hear that you discovered the scam before losing money. Please post any email addresses and telephone numbers they used in this scam to help other victims avoid this criminal.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#277400 by Scammer Hater Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:17 am
I just went through the same thing, via a job posting for a virtual assistant posted on UpWork, and had an online interview with Mr. Orlando Campbell with CK Birla Group. I was immediately hired, sent an employment offer to sign, and was told a digital check would come in my email on Monday that I could scan and direct deposit to my bank. These funds would then be used to purchase software for the position. I was asked which bank I use and the daily deposit limit. I wondered if this was a legitimate offer and then saw the scam warnings on this website. The company website I was given is www.ckbirlagroup.com, the yahoo messenger contact is [email protected], and the email I received an employment offer from is also [email protected]. The person who initially messaged me through UpWork to contact the hiring manager, Orlando Campbell was Carrie Randall.

After reading complaints I will not be depositing the check or having further conversation with these individuals.
Please Be Careful!
#277404 by HillBilly Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:08 pm
welcome to scamwarners, Scammer Hater.

If the scammer uses the US Postal Service to send the fake check ( I can't say I know what a "digital check" is), please report it to the US Postal Inspector's office. You can find them here : https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-is.cfm

The USPI has a lot of authority and jurisdiction so the chance of them finding the scammers and permanently putting them out of business is good. Take all of your emails, IM's ( if you record them), etc to show you are a victim of this crime with you ( or use their electronic form from your living room :D )

Drop all contact with the scammers, if you haven't done so already. And please don't tell them you know it is a scam or that they are listed here. Block their emails, telephone, and any other means of communication they may have for you.

If they use a different method of shipping the check to you, contact the fraud department of that company for more information.

also realize this :
Chances are good your scammer is not sophisticated enough to steal your ID, they only wanted your money.

You should create some "Google alerts" for all of the personal information given to these scammers. Go to www.google.com/alerts and set up one each for “complete address" , ”bldg # street name" "Drivers license #" "SSN" "FirstName LastName" and "LastName FirstName", “email address”, and what ever other data you have given. be sure to use only one alert per quotation query.

use the quotes " " as above for each one of the alerts they set up with Google. It is not likely the ID will be compromised, but I think its better to err on the side of safe, rather than sorry in this case. If the alerts ever show results, address them at that time.

If it is a passport # then contact homeland security (USA) ( Department of State) and report it compromised to be issued a new passport #. If a different country then contact the issuing authority of that country, and be sure to report it as compromised so you can be issued a new PP #. If they do try anything stupid, you do not want it coming back to haunt you in any way.

You should try to report the scam to your local police, if you are in the USA then also the IC3, and if you are in the UK then actionFraud. If you are not in the US or UK try going to http://econsumer.gov/ and see if yours is a member country.

#277411 by Scammer Hater Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:43 pm
Thank you for your reply!
I have already notified my bank to monitor for suspicious activity. Originally they were going to FedEx a check overnight but then asked if they could email the check instead, saying it would be more convenient. I would then print it, and scan it as a direct deposit via my bank application software on my iPad. I have deposited paychecks this way in the past so I knew what he was talking about. I am suppose to check in with him online on Monday to receive the check but I'm not going to show up! Thank you for your advice and for the suggested contacts.
#277432 by HillBilly Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:51 pm
Scammer Hater wrote:Thank you for your reply!
I have already notified my bank to monitor for suspicious activity.

you are certainly welcome. I don't know your circumstances, but if it were me I'd close the bank account that has #'s the scammers have, and open a new one with a different account #. Many banks will do this free of charge under your circumstances ( fraud). But again, I don't know all the details, so talk to your bank about it. If the criminals decide to try and use your bank account # as a means to write fake checks against the account, it could hold you liable for criminal charges. Even though you are a victim... I know it sounds messed up, and to me it surely is, but it is how the rules are written..... the bankers helped the law makers write the laws, not the people that use banks..

see this for more info : http://www.fakechecks.org/fraudtest.html