If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#280082 by aprogers Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:00 pm
I'm not sure if I'm on the right board, I just joined today. My mom's bank account has been hacked and money taken three-four times since this past April. She only has her social security check each month to live on - this has been taken. Bank of America knows about this, of course, and we've had to go thru a great deal just to get her account number changed and notify the Social Security Office of the number change. Due to this happening she's been behind on her rent three times since April and the landlords are getting very upset. Now, the bank has, supposedly, put alerts and flags and etc. on her account - this still happens. A couple of weeks ago she called to get her balance and was told she was overdrawn by $6000.00. She's never even HAD $6000.00 in her account. And it gets better. Apparently some woman named Janice P. Keisler, on December 18, withdrew almost $2000.00 from my mom's account. That same day - and this is how the bank explains it - she debited my mom's account with $6743.00 and then withdrew it I'm guessing in cash. This larger transaction looks like this:

BK OF AM CRD ACH
DES: PAYBYPHONE ID #
INDN: #
ID: 3001190310 PPD
$6743.54

The smaller withdrawal:

CHASE DES: EPAY ID#
INDN: JANICE P KEISLER CO
ID: 5760039224 WEB
$1575.00

The bank has given us so many different answers, but has not explained to my satisfaction how they honored a withdrawal of an amount she did not even HAVE in her account. They gave this name, no location.

If this had been the first or even second time, it'd be a little more understandable than this: they approved these transactions (1) amounting to about $5000.00 MORE than was even in my mom's account; (2) they approved these even with the alerts and flags on her account without even contacting her, confirming with her that this person was legitimate, asking her, or even questioning the withdrawals.

As it stands now, I have a lot of names that I cannot link together, a bunch of unfamiliar numbers on her Caller ID, and NO assistance from the bank. I've called the police to file report and they've not called back.

I want to know what legal action my mom can take against this individual and also against the bank. She is 84, ill, in constant physical pain from a spinal disease, and has to live on next to nothing. This happening, and all the previous times this has happened, has just beaten her down. Emotionally she's a wreck, mentally she's a wreck, physically she's a wreck. She lost two kids in the time span of 1 year, and has gone through enough. I know some woman calls her and she'll be on the phone for hours - some woman from Florida and I think (I could be mistaken) by the name of Joan. She's gotten calls from Jamaica often every three minutes for the entire day. The Jamaican creeps threaten her and will not stop calling. She gets calls from some "Social Security Agency" telling her she qualifies for some grant and she says they only confirm all of her info, meaning they already HAVE her info (SSN, account numbers, etc.). And she gets calls saying she's won a zillion dollars and all she has to do is pay $500 in "taxes" first.

My mom believes these people - she's so desperate to have something good and happy happen she'll believe them. i am absolutely livid, both at the mutants who are doing this AND with Bank of America.

Here are the names and info I've managed to gather so far:

Janice P. Keisler
Bob Washington who just happens to "handle frauds" - he tells her he's helping her
Joan *
Jane Gay
Lafayette Williams
Security Agency
Delta 3 (company w/ a Florida prefix)
Tony Rios (I think it's Rios) in NY that "handles frauds" - says he's helping her. He says he's in NY with a fraud agency - this agency does not exist and the phone number goes to a personal cell.
Alaska - some statement in the mail saying her check had "bounced" and they need her to honor it immediately - I recall seeing some outgoing mail from my mom about 3 weeks ago addressed to a "Joan" and that Alaska statement was in the envelope. Two men actually came to her door saying she had to pay a delinquent utilities bill so the utilities are not shut off - she wrote them a check for $500.00, the bank has that check.

I thought banks had to replace money within 3 days of a fraud report and then they have 45 days to investigate and if they find during the investigation that my mom is responsible they take that returned money back. Am I wrong here? Isn't that what banks are supposed to do? They've been 'working' on this for almost three weeks now and no mention of replacing her money. Right now her balance is about $6000.00 overdrawn.

Sorry for the long post, and if I posted this in the wrong area. I am just so angry and upset and feel so helpless because there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

#280084 by Bryon Williams Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:14 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

It appears that your mother is a victim of many scams.

I suggest you contact a family attorney for advice. In most cases the initial consultation is free.

You may also be able to contact Social Services and see if they have an elderly division that may be able to help.

You will need to take control of all her finances and not allow her to have a check book or the banking account information.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/