If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#280474 by lady queen Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:00 am
I would like to ask assistance if you can help me verify this account.

He is claiming that he is General Michael S Hendricks and he has a facebook account [email protected]. He also claiming that he is under military. He asked me to send an email to his commander to request for his retirement and he gave me this email address

General Commander - [email protected]

how can I know if who is the person? Where else can I find the true identity of this person since I have suspicion about this?
Advertisement

#280479 by AlanJones Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:18 am
It's a scam and you are not in contact with a member of the US military.

Random strangers on the Internet do not request retirement for soldiers and the military would not be communicating with them about anything else either. Everything relating to the sodier's benefits is dealt with "in house" with no involvement of real family, let alone strangers.

Just delete all the emails and block them and don't respond any further.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#280483 by lady queen Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:37 am
How do scammers utilize information from their victims using like bank information? can they hack the accounts? just curious
#280486 by AlanJones Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:43 am
They have no interest in the information you have given them and can't gain access to your bank accounts (unless you actually give them all the details they need to log in). All they are interested in is stealing from their victims by asking them to pay made up fees for things like soldier's retirement and vacation.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#280492 by HillBilly Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:42 am
Hi and welcome, Lady Queen.

Please read this article and all of the footnotes it contains for more information on how you can protect yourself from these types of scams.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6527

If you have never been told not to click on links in emails, now is a good time to practice it. Always use a bookmark to go to a site, not a link in an email. it is just good practice.

Along those same lines, never download a file from someone you do not know and trust either. And always keep your antivirus / malware software up to date.