If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#281517 by Minimuscleman Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:33 am
My name is Stan,
As the old saying goes “A fool and his money are soon parted”.
I was deceived and ripped off out of $2000 utilizing $500 Amazon Gift Cards. I have been without a vehicle for a few months and was searching for a good deal when “Behold!” I spot the deal of the century on Craigslist under the “free stuff” section. The fraudulent advertisement said “2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4×4 Cummins Diesel for $2011”. My eyes popped wide open and said to myself “This is too good to be true(which it was)” and I immediately contacted the robbers(Unknown 475-243-2371) on the listed phone number and left a voicemail saying I was interested in the vehicle and to call me back. The first robber co-conspirator called me back and said that the truck belonged to his mom and that he would text me her e-mail so I could contact her. I said “Great! Send it to me.”

I received the e-mail address([email protected]) of the next co-conspirator scam-artist and immediately emailed her saying:

“Good evening,
I saw your advertisement on Craigslist for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 for $2011.00 and I am interested. I can be reached by phone at XXX-XXX-XXXX or by email at [email protected] to make an arrangement to see the vehicle at your convenience if it has not already been sold.
Thank you”

The robber e-mails me back:

“Hi there,
My name is Jennifer and I’m emailing you about the 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4×4 Cummins Diesel that I have for sale. The truck is in very good shape, no known mechanical issues, is in good condition. The SUV was never involved in any kind of accident. Clean title with no damage whatsoever, 45,000 miles on it, 5.9 Cummins Diesel Engine, 4-Wheel Drive, Options include power windows, power locks, power mirrors, power drivers seat, overhead electronic info center. No leaks, no rust, non-smoker and no pets. I legally own a clear title, free of any liens or loans, under my name. The price was reduced to $2,000 as I want to sell the truck as soon as possible. Due to my divorce I owned this truck and I already have one so I don’t need it and I’m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. If you have any other questions, or need more info, please feel free to ask.
P.S. I have attached you more pictures of the truck in this message.
Best regards,
Jennifer”

I replied back:

“Hello Jennifer,
My name is Stan and I am very interested in the vehicle. Myself and my dad can probably come by tomorrow morning to inspect the vehicle if that is possible or we can come by later in the week if you prefer. I am available to come see the vehicle in the mornings on Mon, Tues, Wed, and anytime on Thursday and Friday.”
The thief replies back:
“Hi again XXXXX,
As I’ve already told you in my first email, I recently got divorced and I got a new job and moved to Topeka, KS for a new start. The truck is here and is already at the shipping company in Topeka sealed and ready for the shipping. My presence won’t be necessary because I prearranged the deal with Google Wallet. The deal includes free delivery and the truck will arrive at your address in 2 days. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don’t like about the truck you can send it back on my expense.
If you are interested in knowing more info about how the whole process works, I can ask Google Wallet to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Google Wallet will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the information that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller.
If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information please reply with your full name, address and ph# and they will contact you right away.
Best regards”

Red flag #1: Packed and ready to ship from Topeka, Kansas? I live on the East Coast.
Red flag #2: Why ship a vehicle across state lines you are trying to get rid of for $2011 dollars when you can get rid of it locally?
Red flag #3: Who and what is Google Wallet? I should check them out first before jumping into this deal(I didn’t).

My peanut brain asked these questions but the peanuts took control of me and I only focused on the great deal I was about to get before anyone else.
I replied back to the cyberspace criminal without thinking:

“Thank you Jennifer,
I reside (on the East Coast) and that’s a long way from Kansas. I do not know if you are only dealing locally regarding shipping but if you are willing to ship out of state then I am willing to proceed with the process. Please let me know if this will be a deal breaker.”
I took the bait like a mindless trout with the hook, line, and sinker in its mouth ready to be dragged out of the water.

The internet huckster then replies back:

“Stanley, If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information please reply with your full name, address and ph# and they will contact you right away.”

I gave the swindler the requested information and she replied:

“Stan, I just forwarded your info to Google Wallet for processing. As soon as the info will be processed by them, they will initiate the transaction and after this they will email you all the transaction details. Anyway I’ll keep you informed as soon as I’ll have news from them. Please do the same and make sure you check your email often to confirm the receiving of their email. You should hear from them today.
Keep in touch!”

I then received an e-mail from the next fraudster pretending to be Google Wallet with a fake official looking online invoice requesting payment for the vehicle using Amazon Gift Cards. My peanut brain started thinking “Hmmm…that’s a strange way to pay for a vehicle” then I just ignored the thought a went on.

I blindly followed the robbers instructions to purchase four(4) $500 Amazon gift cards with cash and then give “Google Wallet” the serial and activation codes on the back of each card by e-mailing them photos of the gift cards and the receipt showing that I paid cash so “Google Wallet” could verify funds and then they would ship the vehicle from “Topeka, Kansas” to me on the East Coast. Like the sucker that was just born that minute the scam was completed.

I never received the truck within the three(3) days they said the truck would arrive and the thieves also tried to get me to send some more Amazon Gift Cards totaling $1000 for some “special insurance” in order to cover their so called five(5)day inspection period. My peanut brain finally realized I was being robbed.

When I e-mailed the devils and insisted that they tell me where the truck was currently located where I could verify existence of the product before any more Gift Cards were given, I never received any more responses from the gang of demons.

I got chastised by my family for being so gullible and stupid.

I contacted Amazon Customer Service and told them about the scam and submitted all of the Gift Card numbers where an investigation was begun. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for the funds stolen and the thieves tracked down and dealt with accordingly.

I could have avoided the whole situation if I followed the scam avoidance protocols explained on Craigslist information page.

I hope this summary of my scam experience helps somebody else out there.
Advertisement

#281520 by HillBilly Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:51 am
Hi and welcome, Stan. Sorry to hear you were scammed. Thanks for posting the email address and scripts used in this scam. it will at least keep some potential victims from becoming victims, there is no doubt of that. :)

I'll say this and hope you don't group me in with your family for it. Everything happens for a reason, its not always the reason we can see, but it is a lesson we have to learn. try to find some good out of it. everything has both good and bad in my mind. Many of us here on this site share that commonality with you. We were scammed prior to finding this site just like you.

Back to the scam. I hope you have reported it to Craigslist, your local PD ( if you have one), Regional, and National PD ( such as the IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx in the USA or Action Fraud http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ in the UK). While it won't bring your money back, talk to your accountant and it can likely be a write off on taxes as a loss with a police report as proof. Often times your local PD will refuse to take a report claiming jurisdiction is a problem. Ask to speak to the commander on duty if that happens. If the commander shares the same opinion just note names / date / times, location of this local PD, walk away and report the noted details of the local PD and the scam itself to the regional and national PD.

edit to add more jurisdictions of PD names... clarify one statement.

#281620 by vonpaso xlura Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:27 am
Could you post the email that contains the URL of the fake Google Wallet? We'd like to kill the website.

1-475-243 is in Connecticut, not Kansas.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10