If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#268154 by HillBilly Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:18 pm
Mike Wilson wrote: This is a scam and any payment sent to you will either be stolen or forged. DO NOT cash, deposit any checks or money orders from these criminals.

I'm guessing they have your real life details such as physical address with your latest post.

If you receive a package in the USPS mail, you should immediately take it, along with all of your email correspondence to your local US Postal Inspector's office. Find one here : https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-is.cfm (assuming you are in the USA).

You really need to cease all contact with this criminal. Do not tell him you know he is a scammer. Do not tell him he is posted here. Just sort of "drop off the face of the earth". He will likely come up with new characters / schemes to get you involved with now that you have been a fish that "took some of the bait". be very careful not to answer any emails from strangers.

Do not write back to any of his emails, do not answer calls from unknown #'s ( if he has your #), and put up some alerts about your own personal information, now that a criminal has it.

Chances are good your scammer is not sophisticated enough to steal your ID, they only wanted your money. He can however impersonate you now that he has your personal info.

You should create some "Google alerts" for all of the personal information given to these scammers. Go to http://www.google.com/alerts and set up one each for “complete address" , ”bldg # street name" "Drivers license #" "SSN" "FirstName LastName" and "LastName FirstName", “email address”, and what ever other data you have given. be sure to use only one alert per quotation query.

use the quotes " " as above for each one of the alerts they set up with Google. It is not likely the ID will be compromised, but I think its better to err on the side of safe, rather than sorry in this case. If the alerts ever show results, address them at that time.

If it is a passport # then contact homeland security (USA) ( Department of State) and report it compromised to be issued a new passport #. If a different country then contact the issuing authority of that country, and be sure to report it as compromised so you can be issued a new PP #. If they do try anything stupid, you do not want it coming back to haunt you in any way.

You should try to report the scam to your local police, if you are in the USA then also the IC3, and if you are in the UK then actionFraud. If you are not in the US or UK try going to http://econsumer.gov/ and see if yours is a member country.

Advertisement

#268161 by Tim Atem Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:02 pm
No, they're not sending money upfront, they are sending a FAKE check that they want the victim to deposit into their account. They will have the victim deduct the amount for the software and forward it through Moneygram or Western Union. Days, weeks or even months later, the bank will find out the check is fake and the victim will be out all of that money plus bank fees.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#270509 by szleach Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:41 am
I just recently signed up with Upwork to try and land a part time gig. My first day in the system and I received an email very similar to the rest of what ya all have received from a Mr. Jamie Ham with CK Birla Group. They requested I contact them ASAP through yahoo messenger for an interview/briefing. Guess what....they hired me. Apparently, they have sent me a check that I'm suppose to deposit in my bank account to cover the costs associated with the same software that a lot of you have listed. It's the same story. Hard to believe these people get away with this stuff. I will not deposit the check and I have cut off any contact with Mr. Jamie Ham who continues to send me messages via messenger and my phone. The phone # that his is texting me from is (321) 270-5147. This is super crazy and I'm completely disappointed that this wasn't for real. Could have really used the money :(
#270512 by Tim Atem Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:54 am
I'm sorry you were almost taken in by this scam, but be proud of yourself that you did your research before depositing that check.

What email addresses and Yahoo ID's were they using to communicate with you?

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#270567 by HillBilly Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:52 pm
hi and welcome, szleach. Please see my post at the top of this page for additional details on how to protect yourself from these criminals.

#273936 by hippiemom Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:08 pm
I am glad that I found this website before it was too late.

I received a request for Interview through Upwork today to have an interview via Yahoo Messenger with Mrs Victoria Taylor, HR Manager at CK Birla Group (YIM username: [email protected] )

During the web chat I was hired on the spot, first flag for me, the alarm bells started ringing when I was told that I would get a check in the mail to purchase the necessary equipment and software to setup my home office.

I am supposed to log on tomorrow to sign "a job offer" letter but now know to ignore that. Thankfully the only information they have on me is what is already available from my online resume.
#273944 by Mike Wilson Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:14 pm
Hello hippiemom,
I am glad that you found us before getting more involved with this scam. If the scammer gave you a link to a website please post this information and we will do some additional checks.

If you have any additional questions about this scam please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#274387 by Mypb313 Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:58 am
I had the same exact experience except the name was Johnson Wheeler. The details seemed fishy which made me google the company to see if it was a scam and I came across this site.

At this point I already signed the offer letter. I assume they use that to have your signature on file. I advised her not to contact me anymore. I have the check also but I will be reaching out to upwork and pnc bank about this scam and am so grateful I found this site before going off! :evil:

hippiemom wrote:I am glad that I found this website before it was too late.

I received a request for Interview through Upwork today to have an interview via Yahoo Messenger with Mrs Victoria Taylor, HR Manager at CK Birla Group (YIM username: [email protected] )

During the web chat I was hired on the spot, first flag for me, the alarm bells started ringing when I was told that I would get a check in the mail to purchase the necessary equipment and software to setup my home office.

I am supposed to log on tomorrow to sign "a job offer" letter but now know to ignore that. Thankfully the only information they have on me is what is already available from my online resume.
#274426 by vonpaso xlura Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:54 am
Could you post the new email address the scammer is using and any new phone numbers or websites?

When you talk to the bank, be sure to talk to the fraud department, not just some random teller.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#275291 by DesiJade Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:48 pm
It seems like this person is still at it! I received an invite on upwork for the company as well. Here is what I received word for word.
"Good Day Applicant,

Your resume has been successfully received from, reviewed and approved by the HR department and we believe you are qualified for an on-line interview via yahoo messenger with the hiring Manager Mr. Micheal GoodMan, please contact him via yahoo messenger ([email protected]) If you don't have a yahoo ID you are required to set up an account at (mail.yahoo.com) and download an instant messenger (www.messenger.yahoo.com) or googlehangout mail.com on [email protected] .

The Positions Available Are : F-T/P-T Customer Service Representative

The schedule time for the interview/briefing exercise is as soon as possible, You are to be available on yahoo messenger(IM) ASAP for the interview, Your swift and timely response to this position matters a lot as the job interview starts ASAP, If you have any questions or you wont be available at the interview ASAP, Please feel free to email Mr. Micheal GoodMan to reschedule another interview Date.. I wish you best of luck in the interview. A timely response is appreciated.

Thank you
Human Resources
HR Department"

I figured it was a scam to begin with because they had no reviews on upwork and how they hired me on the spot. Thankfully I did some research because I felt they were a little suspicious. I went through with contacting them on yahoo to see if my suspicion was correct. I did not provide any personal info, but based on what was stated within yahoo messenger (plus everything clearly being copy and pasted when chatting because this is a routine for them) , it turned out to be a scam.
#275314 by HillBilly Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:23 pm
thanks for posting the update and welcome to scamwarners, DesiJade.

the fact is these scum (scammers) will use anything that works to steal money from anyone, anywhere, anytime. They don't care who it hurts. As long as they can get 1 victim out of ten thousand tries, it is enough for them to keep looking for more victims.

#276040 by Kaitlyno Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:22 pm
They are still at on UPWork you would think UpWork would have a handle on this though. They are now operating as Rebecca Davis and Olivia Washington. Like OLIVIA Pope whose played by Kerry WASHINGTON. I have their conversation saved and I think UpWork should be also responsible as they host this site so many people on there shouldn't be endanger like this especially if it keeps happening on there. :evil:
#276044 by HillBilly Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:55 pm
hi and welcome to scamwarners, Kaitlyno

What you say does make sense ( in a perfect world), however the reality is slightly different. If they are reported at any free to join site, they simply make new names for themselves, fake business names, email addresses, and the like. This process will take them seconds to minutes to complete. Not to mention chances are real good if you read the TOU and EULA of the sites these scammers operate on, the sites themselves are not responsible for anything, you, the end user are responsible.

If we are tracking these scammers through known published fake companies, email addresses, names, and the like, then it is easier to follow them. If they change their info, we don't know the new info until another victim or potential victim comes forward and tells us.

There is a better explanation of what I just said here : http://www.scamsurvivors.com/forum/view ... f=6&t=3884

#276175 by ninafancy Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:55 pm
I just had the same experience with "Olivia Washington" via Upwork. I got the same email requesting me to contact her via yahoo messenger. But thankfully while we were messaging, I thought it all a little weird and was googling the CK Birla Group and came across these posts in scamwarners. Thank you!! Unfortunately, I did give her my email address before I cut her off, but nothing else she couldn't get from my resume. Her yahoo messenger id was [email protected].
#276264 by abcde45 Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:44 pm
I received the same message through Upwork from a Bolale Grace who then asked me to contact a Micheal GoodMan for an interview through Yahoo! Messenger. The Yahoo account they gave me to contact was [email protected]. I was also asked to send my full name, address and phone number so that the secretary could input my information to their system to an email [email protected].