If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#296275 by Pique Thu May 26, 2016 3:11 pm
Hello, I new to this forum and need help/pointers to stop this scam that is still ongoing.

I learned about this scam at the end of 2014, when my wife asked me for USD 80k for a business venture, asking for details she gave me 2 documents issued by a Nigerian ministry for a large oil field maintenance contract given to an "American" contractor. At one glance I could see that this bears all the hallmark of a scam and asked my wife to tell me what happened.

Apparently she had befriended this "American" on FB, he was a friend of another friend she had on FB and therefore trusted him, there was some common interest in charities apparently. It was this "American" who was the contractor. He now needed to buy equipment in China, and since my wife speaks fluent Chinese he would like to employ her with a very generous salary. But, before that he needed to pay a processing fee of 1% of the contract and he did not have any money for this. I told my wife to forget it, it is a scam. She then told me she had already wired him USD 60+k and that USD 80k was missing to make the 1%. He would return the borrowed money with interest once the 1% was paid. I said that we have to report this to the police which my wife refused as she did not believe he was a scammer. I went to the police alone, but in the country we reside the police will not take on the case unless the victim report. I did not know where else to turn, anyway, my wife did not have any more money and she promised to cease all contact with him.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I learned that my wife sent another USD 20+k to Nigeria last week. confronting her , she admitted that she had been in contact with this "American" and that he during this period had lost his daughter to cancer and that he himself now was serious ill in malaria, and without treatment likely to die soon. That is why my wife sent the USD 20+k

Since the police do not want/can help me I am at a loss of what to do. searching the net I came across this site and now put the question here, what do I do to stop this scammer.

I do have the ministry papers, I do have a few names and bank details. But I do not have and contact details to this "American"
Advertisement

#296276 by Bryon Williams Thu May 26, 2016 3:18 pm
It is a scam.

If he was truly an American then he could go to the US Embassy for assistance.

Please read these threads with your wife.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3607

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25

What country are you in?

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#296279 by Pique Thu May 26, 2016 3:32 pm
It is possible that this person is American, but I doubt it, all the money has been wired to Nigeria for the benefit of persons with Nigerian (African) names.

I have gone through the essence of the scam with my wife, but it does not matter what I say or show, she refuse to believe that she has been subjected to a scam, the main reason being;
1. She is Asian and loosing face is serious business to an Asian. It is therefor easier to live in denial.
2. She is grasping for any little thing to keep the possibility alive of getting the money back.

We do reside in Singapore.
#296280 by Bryon Williams Thu May 26, 2016 3:38 pm
The scammer is African no doubt about it.

You can not stop the scammer.

You can only stop your wife.

Its up to you how you take control of the money or bank accounts.

She will learn it is a scam when she comes to terms or go broke.

If the scam did not work the scammer would not be doing it. She is not the first victim of a scam now will be the last.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#296281 by Pique Thu May 26, 2016 3:52 pm
Unfortunately I do not have control over her bank ac. I have already protected my and joint bank ac. At the moment she does not have any money left to send, but she will in a month time when the proceeds from a property sale come in.

I can not make her understand that she is a victim of a scam and where I live I do not see any help at hand in breaking through to her.
#296282 by Bryon Williams Thu May 26, 2016 4:00 pm
Check your Pm's (Personal Messages).