If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#298809 by swillis Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:13 pm
I live in Edmonton, AB. I found a rental ad on Kijiji that was the perfect situation for my family. The house was the right size, price, location, pet friendly, everything. I contacted the person via email. He responded to me:

This house is vacant and is available for immediate move in, it will only be rented out to a potential renter who is able to take absolute care of it and all its facilities. Utilities wont be a problem as it has paid for 12 Months upfront as a post-paid utility bills. The Kitchen comes with all appliances, Washer and Dryer are already installed
However, Its not my wish to rent out my house but i am renting it out due to the transfer of my job to the BRANDON, MANITOBA it will be rented out for $1200/Monthly (Including Utilities) and a refundable damage deposit of $1200. all pets are welcome based on negotiable deposits. please Note that i want a tenant who will take proper care of it as if he/she owns it. If you fit into this criteria lets further the rental process right away. This house is only available for a serious renter who has cash in hand , if not please disregard this offer. The house is located at

8431 18 Avenue SW Edmonton (South West) Alberta,T6X 0R7

Awaiting an immediate response,

Fred

I should have known better, but I responded and told him a little about myself.

He replied:

Thanks for your interest as I am already in the Manitoba for my Job Transfer and that was why i wanted you to contact me directly, but you should go take a look at the house from the outside as soon as you can today preferably, If you like my house please do not Hesitate to get back to me to proceed with the rental Process, because i already have alot of people who are willing to pay the deposit right now, but i am being patient on choosing my favorite tenant. Attached to this email below is the Rental Application. Please fill it out and reply immediately.

START: ________END __________
Primary Full Name: __________
Home Phone: _________________
Cell Phone: _________________
Date Of Birth: _________________
Current Home Address___________
Current Landlord's Name: _________
How long at this address: __________
Reason for leaving: _________
Number and type of pets: ____
Party to an eviction? _______________
Total number of adults: _____
Total number of children Under the age of 18: __________
Reference Name ________________________
Phone_____________________
Address______________________

I CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above.
Date: ______________________

Again, I should have known better, but I filled out this form before looking at the house. I knew the listing was a good one and I didn't want to lose it.

This morning I went to look at the house. I noticed a Remax lock box near the front door railing. Looking in the windows, there were things like a water bottle on the counter, a kids table in the kitchen, hose ran from side of house to back yard, ball in the backyard, etc. When I checked the ad again to see if it was the right house, the ad had been removed from kijiji. It was at this point I knew it was a scam, but I didn't want to believe it.

I got home and googled the address and found http://www.rentboard.ca/rentals/rent.aspx?pstuid=efb26303-fcca-497c-92d7-75762004a3cd . It's listed through Remax, and the ad mentions different things the Kijiji ad didn't mention, like membership to the nearby lake club, it mentions a half bath. It also said not pet friendly and utilities were not included.

While I'm looking at the ad, I get a phone call from the guy I was in contact with. (It was 7AM.) He asked if it was a good time to talk, I told him it was 7AM. He asked if he should call back and I told him don't bother because I just saw an ad for the property that didn't match his Kijiji ad. He tried to tell me he had originally listed it through Remax but he decided to do it himself. I asked why the price was $800 difference and utilities were not included. He said they were trying to make money off it. When I asked how that affected the utilities, he hung up.

The name he was using was Fred Clancy. The phone number that came up on call display was 587-402-1567. His email was [email protected] .

Luckily, I never sent money. I was wary of that aspect from the beginning as it was. I did however give him my name, wife's name, both phone numbers, my birthday, my current address, and my references name and number.

Any advice?
Advertisement

#298810 by Bryon Williams Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:46 pm
The scammer just wanted your information to make his scam seem real. You should not have any problems.

Make sure you can physically go inside any rental property and meet the landlord face to face.

Date Listed 21-Jun-16
Price
$1,200.00
Address edmonton, alberta
View map
Bedrooms (#) 3 bedrooms
Bathrooms (#) 3 bathrooms
Size (sqft) 2347
For Rent By Owner
Furnished No
Pet Friendly Yes
Lovely 3 bedroom 3 Baths 2347 square feet house located in summer side. Very close to Anthony Henday
Monthly rent including utilities $1200
Damage Deposit $1200
House is unfurnished.
Finished basement. Fenced back yard
Double attached garage
Pets allowed, no smoking
Available for immediate move in.
Contact Me at [email protected]

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#298860 by HillBilly Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:29 am
swillis wrote: I did however give him my name, wife's name, both phone numbers, my birthday, my current address, and my references name and number.

Any advice?

I think you are concerned with the scammer having your personal information, is that correct? if so, read on.
Chances are good your scammer is not sophisticated enough to steal your ID, they only wanted your money. They can now impersonate you, though. ( meaning they can make it look like you are the scammer, among other things).

You should create some "Google alerts" for all of the personal information given to these scammers. Go to http://www.google.com/alerts and set up one each for “complete address" , ”bldg # street name" "Drivers license #" "SSN" "FirstName LastName" and "LastName FirstName", “email address”, and what ever other data you have given. be sure to use only one alert per quotation query.

use the quotes " " as above for each one of the alerts they set up with Google. It is not likely the ID will be compromised, but I think its better to err on the side of safe, rather than sorry in this case. If the alerts ever show results, address them at that time.

If it is a passport # then contact homeland security (USA) ( Department of State) and report it compromised to be issued a new passport #. If a different country then contact the issuing authority of that country, and be sure to report it as compromised so you can be issued a new PP #. If they do try anything stupid, you do not want it coming back to haunt you in any way

As I am sure you have now learned, if it sounds too good to be true ( you used the word perfect), it probably is. Be very wary of any deals like that. I am happy to hear you did not lose your money to them.

Never rent a home / exchange money until after you have signed a lease agreement in person, at the rental property. Even then in today's world it is best to check 2 or 3 times all sources of information prior to signing any agreement.

Edit to add: I just noticed the words about a reference and #. Be sure to tell that person what you have done and how they might mitigate damages from above.

also do searches on "privacy rights" ( use the quotes in your searches) to see what else is recommended in your area.

(587) 402-1567
Owner's name hidden for privacy reasons

Owner is based in Edmonton, AB
Landline - Iristel Inc.