If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#305339 by luccad Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:59 pm
I recently received a text from the # (619) 736-9104.
"Hi,Got your # from Care,can you pet sit?contact [email protected] or send your email."

I emailed the sender and said I'd be willing, asking for more info.

"How are you doing? My name is Williams,my wife Jessica and Tracy our 3 years old daughter. My family is relocating to your neighborhood. We are moving down on a transfer. We will acquire a property in your city, my wife is 6 months pregnant and this is going to be our second child so we want everything to move smoothly and stress-free,she's gonna have limited time for our babies and Dogs. This is where i hope you come in and help.I need someone to work 2 days per week 2hours per day. we need someone who is mature whether young or old, loves pets, reliable,attentive, honest and punctual.

Please do let us know the zipcodes you cover in the city to be sure we are within your axis.

You will be taking care of 2 Dogs. Frodo a yr old Australian Terrier and Monrell a 4 years old German Shepard for any two days of your choosing excluding Sundays and will have to take them on a walk at least once a week, make them comfortable while we are away sometimes. I can handle the feeding if am on hand but the rest i wont be able to do,you can work for us as long as you want. I trust you can do this for us.We are moving in on the 20th of Sept.

I will be offering you $300 weekly. Bonus will be paid if there are any overtime, If you believe you are fit for this position in as much you will prove yourself to be a reliable and good person, I will instruct my financial clerk to pay for the first week before our arrival so as to secure your service in advance and to show our commitment on our part and also purchase some needed stuffs in advance for them.

I will be waiting to hear from you pretty soon.
Thanks."

This was over Labor Day weekend, so I was slow to respond. After just 1 day, I got another email asking me to kindly get back to him. I did a few days later. At this point I was concerned, so I responded asking what city they'd be moving to and asking for some clarifications about the nature of the work. I also asked for his first name, since Williams isn't a common one and I wanted to be sure.

"Hi,

Thank you for the reply...No problem about working for us, we will be living close to your neighborhood .You did not mentioned the zip code you cover in the city. me and my family would be coming into town on the 20th of Sept. so let me know when its most convenient for you to start and also my financial Clerk will make out a check to you before our arrival. You will receive a Certified Check which you will deduct your wages of $300 for the first week and the remaining funds will be used to buy foodstuffs, leashes,toys,collars and the Kennel in which they will reside once they arrive, And also an aquarium, and fish food for Fin and Stiff, You will be getting the foodstuffs and some other items which you believe might be needed on or before the day of our arrival which will be the 20th of Sept. Actually our flights will arrive at night so you will be getting the foodstuffs in the morning and making all other preparations. And you will also need to check your mail more often as i might need to contact when i feel so.

I will also instruct my estate agent to mail the keys of the apartment to you and email or text you the apartment address, so as to do all other necessary preparations before we arrive. You have to get all this shopping before our arrival so that we wont have to start running around when we arrive, so my financial clerk would be needing the following information to make out the
check payment.

Full Name:
Full address with zip-code & Apt
Number:

All i need from you is total honesty and sincerity. I know you will be committed to the work, You will also have a nice period of time working with us.

Cheers!!!"

Then, a follow-up email came in before I could even respond to the first one:

"My first name is Williams my wife's name Jessica.And how was your vacation? my wife is 6 months pregnant therefore am not gonna be at home all the time, it's gonna be my wife at home and due to her condition, she will not be able to do some domestic works, i travel most time, that was what am trying to explain there. lol. You don't need to leave your area to relocate, just want to know your zip-code to relocate closer to you, and i will love if you can take the job on full-time basis......Although if it's part-time it's still ok."

I promptly responded that I didn't feel comfortable providing my personal info and turned him down.
So I never did find out if this was a scam, but I had seen enough similar wording around forums like these and decided not to take my chances. The "too good to be true" factor was high, as was the sender's flexibility and desire to pay me in advance through a "financial clerk."
Advertisement

#305358 by Mike Wilson Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:09 am
Hello luccad,
Thank you for posting the information on this scam. There is no doubt about this being be a scam involving a fake check where the scammer will want you to deposit the check and then transfer money to a third person via Western Union or Money Gram.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon