If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#364656 by Vlivengood Tue May 15, 2018 4:47 am
HELP! Super scared here - 80 year old live alone father has been horribly scammed by 3 men from Jamaica - Who claimed they had a million dollar business venture blah blah blah - He has given them access to accounts, he wires them money he buys and sends the cash cards to them anything you can think of he has done. Plus he shares personal family info about his medical status and his childrens information and where they live etc. "Cause they are friends now" So we just found out but its been going on for almost a year and he maxed out ever CC - took 2nds and thirds on home has car title loans pay day loans the hole shabang - to the tune of about 100 grand so far not calculating the compounding interest and fees and losses to come - I dont need to repeat the how and whys as they are textbook and he refuses to discuss or report to police or let us help in anyway - He gets a $7500 a month pension that is able to pay his mortgage and car payment and utilities and medical co pays and he is a former Government Employee so good insurance etc. but he is DEAD broke not a penny is asking us kids to borrow money says it is for medical. IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO MAKE THIS STOP. He is suffering from early stages of dementia but no formal diagnoses or anything. He gets EXTREMELY combative if we try and bring up. I just dont know where to start for help or if it is even possible. if he is unwilling to admit it and stop it.- Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I just dont know where to start.
Advertisement

#364670 by AlanJones Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 am
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the situation that your father is in.

I would suggest talking to his doctor about getting him formally diagnosed, and then seeking legal advice about getting power of attorney over all of his finances so that he is not able to send money.

Also try speaking to his bank and see if there is any way that they can put a stop to the transfers and if he is using services such as Moneygram or Western Union, the same with them.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#364671 by Tim Atem Tue May 15, 2018 5:15 am
I'm so sorry that this is happening to your family.

You need to see about taking over your father's finances as soon as possible. You may need to involve a lawyer or the court system to do it. Is there a social services agency in your area that you can turn to and file a report with? Unfortunately, your father is going to continue to send them money unless you legally remove access to his funds. You can also try going to his church, other family members, or even the police. If you can, get as much information about the scams as you can (email addresses, phone numbers, names that have collected money) and take it to the police.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5