If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!

#1218 by Pat Hamilton Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:21 am
@ robert46 - Welcome. I know it's difficult but please try not to worry too much. The important thing is that you realise you've been dealing with a scammer and have now ceased all communication with him, right? :) Once he realises that you are going to completely stonewall him from now on he will lose interest and focus his scamming on someone else unfortunately. When it comes to internet scams knowledge is power so the more you read around this site, and our sister site www.419Eater.com the more you will understand about how they operate and you will quickly realise what a lucky escape you have had.

If you feel comfortable sharing a few details of your experience with the scammer we will do all we can do put your mind at rest and suggest a few ways to deal with your current situation. You don't have to give us any of your personal information at all.
Advertisement

#1219 by SlayerFaith Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:24 am
Welcome to ScamWarners, Robert46. I'm sorry that it has to be under these circumstances.

When you say "all of my personal information", do you mean only name, address, and phone number... or do you mean your social security number, credit card, and/or banking information?

If they have ANY bank or CC information, you need to call your bank/ CC company immediately and have it changed. If they have your social security number, you will need to keep a close watch on your credit report to avoid identity theft.

Please let us know what the scam was and how much information the scammers have, so that we can advise you better on what steps to take. I suggest that you start a new thread to get a faster response from our victim support members.
#1271 by MattNW Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:05 pm
robert46 wrote:That is the reason I am here on this website I was doing a google search for my scammer and I was taken to many fraud websites and links . I am really scared since they have all my personal information...

If you bait from a different email addy there's little cause for concern. They won't connect the two due to the thousands of emails they send out.

Some personal info is OK as long as you didn't provide them with detailed info or something they could use to steal your identity. That's the greatest concern. If you have provided anything like this then report it to the police, financial institutions etc. and have any credit card, bank account or other info changed.

The reason for using safe baiting techniques is to guarantee safety. These scammers are criminals and some have been known to kill their victims. These are the facts. The reality is that you have little to worry about if you have broken off contact from any personal email addresses that can be traced back to you.

You would have to get the scammers extremely angry for them to come after you. Baiters try to make the scammers this angry. A simple victim doesn't. Once they see they can't con any more money out of you they will stop trying and move on to another victim or what they think is a victim. Hopefully that victim will be a baiter and that's when the trouble starts for your lad.