If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#7336 by orang97 Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:51 pm
Mod edit - Split from "Say Hello Here" thread - Jillian

Hi to everyone,

I am Ann, and I am presently in a whirlwind situation with a man in Nigeria who claimed to be the person of ENGR. SMITH BENSON, his working as a contructor, servicing and constructing oil pipes in the Delta region.

He tells me he owns the construction company. I met him at the website of BEARSHARE under the name SMITH4U6...and using an email add. [email protected].

We had this whirlwind relationship for about a month and in the course of our relationship, I have manage to send him 850USD to pay the travel agency his Visa processing in coming to my country. For the reason that in his line of work he can't just go onshore anytime...he already spent 7 months in nigeria and his contract will finish this June 2009. He reason to me that due to the tight security of the area they are not allowed to just be anywhere except in the rig area of their work.

In our relationship...he was always sounding true and just like a man inlove...we would communicate before he goes to work...after his work...and before he goes to bed...his 8 hours advance in time from my point.

Just this week everything was finalized for his trip here in Canada...his flight #KLO588, booking code ZIVK65. He has to leave Murtala Mohammed Airport 9:30 in the evening Monday and will arrived 8:40 in the morning Tuesday here in Vancouver. BUt what a twist of faith...on his way to the airport he met a vehicular accident and hit a pedestrian named Victoria EZE, which was hospitalized due to her injuries.

Around 1 am Feb.10, i recieved a call from a Nigerian Police named Inspector William Abey, informing me that my husband had an accident and they are forwarding the report to my email. At first i thought it was just a joke but at around 4 am i received again another call telling me that i have to call back because my husband needs me...they're that i went panic..but i can't do anything because at that time im in my work and cannot do anything except to wait for my off.

When I arrived home i openned my email and their was the Police report from Enugu Police Station stating the case of the accident...I called the number the Inspector have assigned for me to contact...only to find out that it was the same number Smith has given me before to contact him. In short we have talked and i can feel that his also devastated by what happened...i was supposed to pick him up in the airport that day if things did not go wrong.

His telling me his sorry and all his things were taken from him including his money. When i talked to the inspector he told me that as a wife all i can do is to send 500 hundred US dollars to bail my husband...

Several times did I convinced Smith to call his friends in Nigeria to help him out but he kept on telling me that he can't let them involve in his problems because its not in line with their business. I don't know what kind of theory was that...

In our short time in the net...I come to love the person in the picture and the thoughts that would chat with me every time...

Every time I call the jail...i don't know what to say but cry to him...begging him that if its one of the scam in Nigeria then he has to end it with me because im not rich and he can't get anything from me anymore...but im deeply involved with the man i thought is SMITH BENSON...

I am reading alot of scam from Nigeria and U.K... and by the way he calimed to be from U.K...and i am afraid i have fallen for one...its not about the money involved but for me its more of the emotional betrayal that's the hardest to overcome...

I don't know how can you help me to know the truth...because until then it seems that there will always be question in my mind about this whole thing.

Im planning to cut evry communication with him...but at the back of my mind how about if after all he is true and not a scam...then I can't forgive myself...

Please help me...

Sincerely,

Ann
Advertisement

#7339 by Arnold Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:38 pm
I'm sorry to have to tell you that is is certainly a scam. As you say, why would the police phone from the same number that he used? You didn't say so, but I've no doubt that the "police" will also have emailed you from a free email provider such as Yahoo, which no police force uses.
You'll find many similar examples on this forum at viewforum.php?f=13.As you say the emotional impact is worse than the money lost. Try not to blame yourself for what has happened. These people are very good at what they do, but everything you told you is false, apart probably from him being in Nigeria. As you will have paid the money by Western Union or Moneygram, there's no way of getting it back.

#7341 by The Enchantress Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:07 pm
Ann

I am truly sorry that this has happened to you. You are right the emotional betrayal is the worst. Take my word on it he is a scammer. Cease all contact with him now. What I hate about scammers is that they hurt decent, kind and caring women like yourself. If you wish please send me a PM I will gladly show you how to find the proof.

<big hug>

edit to add http://en.netlog.com/smithbenith link to netlog. Have photo and screenshot (in case he disappears)

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#7467 by Ralph Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:42 am
HI Anne and Dragon Heart,

Welcome to Scamwarners.

Ann, as the others have said already, it is most certainly a scam and both the scammer and the police are in it, you may also be contacted by lawyers or doctors, all of whom are part of the same group if not the same person

I had gathered a lot of information on another scammer who used similkiar tactics some time ago, perhaps taling a look at it will help you to understand how they work and how they make their lies look so convincing
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=670

I also believe you may find many things in these search results to provide the answers you seek
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... arch&meta=

Taking a guess but an educated one, his pictures are very likely to be found at http://www.focushawaii and if I may be so bold as to take a guess as to which one, thanks to our good friends at http://www.romancescam.com there is a fair chance that this is him.

I would be happy to help you with any questions you may have and if you could please post a new thread in the love scam section complete with some of the early emails then I have no doubt we can find ample proof for you.

I am so sorry that this man has broken your heart while raiding your purse, unfortunately there are many more just like him out there

Removed extra quote tag