If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#60028 by RaspberryPie Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:11 am
Hi there,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right topic but thought it would be worth sharing.

I am studying languages and am originally from Germany and currently at a work placement in the UK. When I tried to find a room a friend suggested me wwww.justlanded.com and of course, there was the perfect room available just a good ten minutes walk away from my office in central London for 320Pounds per month including all bills, broadband, etc. Fortunately, I have to say that I was aware of normal rental prices in London and that something had to be completely wrong with this ad. Anyway, I did contact this guy who named himself Samson Gary (Email: [email protected]) just for having a look how it would turn out.

That is the reply which I received within a few hours:

Hi ...,

The room is furnish and is for £320 pounds includes all utilities bill,well couple is accepted so when are you moving in?,but before i start telling you about it, it is only right that I let you know more about me being your potential flatmate so that you can know somethings about me..

My Name is Samson Gary,and I am a 27 year old easygoing male,i speak English and french very fluently and am in London at the moment Studying for my Master Degree. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling. In fact,I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon.

About my apartment, It is a two bedroom apartment and as I live in one room of the apartment, I have one rooms ready for move in. and the rooms have the following amenities:

Internet connectivity. (Broadband)
Heating and cooling system.
Electricity
Gas
Phone connectivity
Car Space, e.t.c

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the flat,the Kitchen, the living room and of course except my room, and you can also have your own visitors.The rent for the room is £320 pounds monthly,and this includes the utility bills an tax(all included) and you will be required to pay a security deposit of £200 pounds. This security deposit will be refunded to you at the end of your stay in my apartment.

I hope it suits you well and if you have any more questions you can surely ask me, also I can send you the tenement agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually move in.

Regards and waiting to read from you soon.You can sign the contract through e-mail upon payment so i can reserve the room for you till then,when is the actual date you are moving in.

Waiting to read from you soon.

Regards,
Sam

First of all I was irritated about all the spelling mistakes. As I am not an English native speaker, I know my grammar and spelling arent 100% correct all the time and as a lot of people from other countries are studying and working in London you cant just pin them down on missed letters and wrong spelling (as long as the person isnt pretending to be British) but I still was suspicious and alarmed by the monthly rent which might be resonable for Romford or further out of central London. So I asked him if he could send me more pictures of the flat what he did but, of course, they didnt match with the pictures of his advertising and he also said that I have to pay the deposit first of all which made me even more suspicious as on a more scam protected website where I finally found a room noone was delighted when I as a potential new tenant mentioned that I wont be able to come along for a viewing before moving in. I just stopped the conversation at this point because I was sure that he is a scammer.

Now, a few days ago I found this site here because a friend was also scammed via the same website (http://www.justlanded.com) by a girl, "April Alison Linsay, British citizen. Im a respectful English Lady...bla bla bla" and when we were at the local police department in London they just googled "her" name and found it on here. Anyway, I read about how to find out from which country Emails are sent and I still had the conversation with "Samson Gary" in my inbox so I checked it and - not a surprise really - Lagos, Nigeria. I dont know if his ad is still alive and on this website but I do hope that noone lost money on this guy. I didnt send him anything neither my scanned ID-card he asked for nor money. Maybe this experience will keep other people away from this guy, too, if he still should use the same ad and email.
Advertisement