If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#1099 by beth Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:22 pm
I WAS SCAMMED UNDER THE LOVE SCAM CATAGORY BY LARRY BROWN.
HE GOT A SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY FROM ME. I KNEW IN MY HEAD IT WAS A SCAM BUT MY HEART OVERRULED ME. IF ANYONE ELSE WAS SCAMMED BY LARRY . ID LIKE TO TALK TO YOU.... ALSO I WAS CONTACTED BY A MCRUSSELL AND A MARTINS.

LARRY WAS GOING TO AFRICA TO SETTLE SOME ORPHANAGE PROBLEMS HE WAS INVOLVED IN AND BRING HIS YOUNG SON BACK. WHILE THERE HE STARTED CHATTING WITH ME AND FELLL FOR ME.... HE ADOPTED 2 ADDITONAL CHILDREN WHILE THERE AND NEEDED MONEY TO COME BACK WITH THEM...
HIS PERSONAL ASSISTANT WAS ROBBED, HE HAD CHECKS HE COULDNT GET CASHED , U NAME IT, HE TRIED IT. HE FINALLY DECIDED TO COME HOME EARLIER FIRST BECAUSE HE COULD NOT STAND TO BE AWAY FROM ME ANY LONGER AND HE NEEDED TO GET THINGS READY FOR THE CHILDREN. I TOLD HIM TO FLY INTO A BIGGER AIRPORT AND I WOULD SEND HIM A SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY TO HELP HIM GET THERE AND I WOULD DRIVE TO THAT AIR PORT AND PICK HIM UP.
THANK GOODNESS FOR SCAMWARNERS....BUT THE THING IS,,,, I WAS SUPPOSEDLY WARNED EARLIER ABOUT THIS LARRY BROWN BUT I DID NOT RECIEVE ANYTHING.
ANYONE ELSE HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH THIS "GENTLEMAN"?
Advertisement

#1104 by Pat Hamilton Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:26 pm
Welcome beth. I am sorry that you were scammed and thank you for sharing your experience.

These scammers use an endless variety of fake names, fake addresses, fake everything so identifying them is almost impossible unfortunately. It's quite probable that other people will have been scammed by this person but using a different name and/or email address or maybe even the same one.

If you post one of his emails including the headers (delete any of your personal information) we might be able to find out more about him but I'm afraid it won't be enough to track him down.
#1124 by Michelle Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:16 am
Beth ...thank you for posting to your story. I am sure that it will serve as some kind of warning to others that read this. Love/Romance scammers can be some of the most difficult for you to detect, as they will write to you for weeks before asking for something such as a telephone or a small amount of money.

After you have done this, their requests for help will get larger and larger each time until you have no money left .... even then, they will ask you to borrow money from your family and friends to send to him.

In short, they not only steal hearts., they steal your money purse.

Beth ..... can I ask you ... has this scammer asked you receive any goods or checks for someone else ??

On a side note, I think that you first received a letter of warning from Michelle on 31st July and you acknowledged it. I'm not aware of anything being sent by ourselves before that date.

#1202 by MattNW Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:39 pm
It could be that you received a fake warning in the past. This is a common modality used by the scammers. They will say you are being scammed and then promise to return your money and/or bring the scammer to justice. It will never happen of course and eventually there will be fees you must pay and the scamming starts all over again.

A real warning will just state that you are being scammed. They will never offer to recover your money. There are examples here on this website of fake and real warning emails.
#1290 by beth Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:43 am
I ALSO HAVE FOUND OUT HE GOES BY THE NAME OF KELVIN SMITH
#1291 by Ed Williams Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:50 am
He probably goes by a vast number of names. These guys generally do. Unfortunately, there is very little you can actually do about him, but of course sharing your experiences here is of vital importance for other people who find these forums and have been in similar situations.

#1471 by Bert Slackbridge Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:52 am
^^^^^^

It's almost certain that the nom-de-plumes he uses are legion. Sorry to hear of your story.

#1542 by John Nord Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:44 pm
Beth, thank you for sharing your story so others can become more aware of these low-life scammers.