If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#8079 by Silverwillow Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:23 pm
So I responded to a nanny position on Craigslist and this is what I received in my inbox this morning...

Thanks to the internet access that made me locate you, my name is Mr Robin Anderson,My wife and I were living here in the City until that fateful day she was diagnosed and later died of breast cancer, I don't want to talk about this but i think it is Paramount since you would be working as John Nanny. John is 4 years old .I relocated temporarily to other city based on my business that is really booming here and my son will be arriving shortly back to the city next week, precisely on March 28, John is here with me right now for holiday,After a serious discussion with my father-in-law concerning a proper care for my Son, we finally decided to search for a good and responsible Nanny/babysitter.

Below you see our offers.

The hours are 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Monday - Thursday,
on Friday until 4.30 pm.

If you cant work during this period you can work during the Weekend. The monthly pay is $3000.00 for live out and $2500.00 for live in.$500 per week. We will be responsible for your transportation which in exclusive of your weekly salary regardless of the distance. You will be working with my sister and also a housekeeper for a while before I fully arrive back to the city We are strongly searching for someone of well mannered attitudes, neatness and good sense of relationship. We are a Christian family and we love our religion so basically everything we do is according to our doctrines, I don't mind your religion but just letting you know so we don't offend you. If you are interested in this offer, please answer all the questions below so i can have a brief idea of your personality :

1) What academic qualifications do you possess?
2) Do you have any relevant certificate to back up your babysitting/Nanny career?
3) How old are you?
4) Are you married?
5) Do you have any special attitude?
6) Do you have any crime records?
7) Do you have a valid driver's license?
8) Tell us more about your temperament .
9) Can we have one or two reference's from you, please send email and phone number for them.
10) Can you handle money if you are given an assignment to carry out?
11) Is your husband/boyfriend/parent in support of you doing this job? Let me know if you will be available for the work offer.
11) Do you have a bank Account.

If you have any questions as regards this offer, feel free to get in touch with me. You can work during the Weekend if you can work during the week due to other job or studies.
I await a response at your earliest convenience. If the hours are not okay by you let me know your schedule.

Robin Anderson

There are many red flags here, and I was bummed to find out that this wasnt a legit position. The email address he is writing from is [email protected] I'm so thankful to find this site as it helped me solidify my concerns of being fraudulant. Looks like this guy has been around the block a few times.
Advertisement

#8081 by The Enchantress Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:00 pm
Silverwillow

Welcome to Scamwarners.

I am glad you recognised the many red flags. This is a definite scam.

I hope you do find a genuine job very soon.

Thank you for posting the above information. I know it will help save other potential victims.

I have discovered a similar mail sent by [email protected]

I'm Robin Anderson 45 years old,my wife and i were living here in new mexico until that fateful day she was diagnosed and later died of breast cancer i have 1kid. my kid is inteligent and nice kid is name is Bobby is age is 4years old,i want you to take good care of him for about 1yrs and 2month.All i need from you is trust and honesty because i will not be at home with the kid and the kid stay alone with you due to my working status and for the fact that i travel alot i could not be at home to stay with him and as you know it there are alot of achievement in Usa and you will be treated as part of the family from the minute you arrive. my boy like playing video games Our family is a little hectic at times but fun loving and energetic .We are only 30 mins from the International airport.The Aupair will have access to the internet and a television and video in his/her room. you will have you own double room with ensuite shower facilities. I would expect the aupair to work for 25hrs per week Mon-Fri with weekends off you can start doing some other things here in Usa as you will have your working permit as soon as i'm okay with you u will have to do some housework.Till i hear from you, Here is my Contact Home address here in Usa and as soon as you've arived in the airport i shall come and pick you up at the airport flat 2 Clovis New Mexico am willing to pay $600 per week for my child care so get back to me if you are interested
Best Regard
Mr Robin
954-949-9205
Last edited by The Enchantress on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#8083 by Arnold Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:07 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners. Googling on "Do you have any crime records" comes up with many versions of this particular scam.
If you'd responded, you'd be asked to pay a fake travel agent by Western Union for a work payment, visa, etc.
It's a common scam, so your advert may result in more examples, I'm afraid.

#8100 by ameliasmom Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 pm
I just wanted to reiterate that this IS a scam. It was 'too good to be true'. He 'offered' me the position, willing to pay me $3000 before I even met the child... that I'd be picking them (his sister, housekeeper, child) up from the airport.

I'm glad I googled his email address. I also found him on craig's list this week and was upset to find that it was not legit. I posted an ad on craig's list to warn other people.
#8104 by Ralph Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:20 am
Hi Amelia's mum,

Welcome to Scamwarners.

I am glad to hear that you realised it was a scam before losing money and applaud you for your action in notifying others.

There are many scammers out there with a whole range of scams designed to suit all kinds of vulnerabilities.

Take care out there and please ask if you are ever unsure