If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#63783 by Guardian Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:57 pm
This guy is a smooth operater! He contacted me through Facebook claiming to be looking for an old friend when he came across my pics. Couldn`t resist saying hello. I just started chatting with him because the pic he posted looked pretty harmless. After three weeks of chatting, and him telling me everything I wanted to hear. I was falling for this con. He claims to be a Gemologist. Originally from Brisbane, Austrailia. Dad was British, Mom Aussie/ via his weird accent. He goes by the name Raymond Morgan. I believe this guy really listens to what the woman is saying and gives her in words exactly what she wants to hear. He also takes notes about friends, family and any other matters you discuss with him. He will often ask about your friends and family. He claimed to have gone to the UK to do a contract bid. The biggest one of his life. After chatting for a couple of weeks he says that he is really rich and can take care of us the rest of our lifes, but he had to know I wasn`t after his money or looks to begin with. Then when he wins the contract bid, he is so excited to be coming home to you!! lol The next day he messages that he has been attacked and robbed in the night coming out of a bar from celebrating his win.
This is when the plea for help starts. His Mom has been hospitalized in a coma. His only brother died in 9/11. and his father is gone. I am his only means of help. Even though a little voice was telling me not to, I sent him some money. I am not rich by any means and I made him aware of that fact. The little I sent him was not enough and he continued to ask me for more. Finally after too many quarrels with him. I decided to end our online relationship. That morning he tells me his Mom has passed. Wow, he certainly knows how to manipulate! So feeling bad I apologize and continue the chatting again. He gives me a few days where he is very sad and tries to make me feel guilty for abandoning him when he needed me most. He says he is stranded in the Uk and without my help cannot complete his contract bid and come home to me. I was preparing to go and pawn all of my jewelry and I decided to look up internet scams involoving Raymond Morgan. A whole page came up and the scams were being committed from the UK. I stopped contact told him what i had found. He still did not stop contacting me said I was wrong and was he the only Raymond Morgan?
I decided to do my own investigation the two phone numbers he gave which he said were UK numbers. Came back as no such area code in the UK. They were cell numbers from Charlotte, North Carolina,Here in the Us. I also checked his Yahoo mail which is: [email protected] This came back associated with about 12 other e.mails starting with a.mx...... through L.mx...... also associated with myspace account Raymond Morgan which the address says Lagos,Ng. when I looked it up it was Nigeria. After this he was still contacting me saying he missed me and how could I do this to him. I sent him a letter telling him what I found. Unfriended him on Facebook and Yahoo e.mail also blocked his four profiles I found he had created on Facebook. This guy is pretty slick I was lucky to only be out only a few hundred dollars and consider this a big lesson learned. I will not be so niave in the future.
Advertisement

#63824 by Bubbles Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:29 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners Guardian. I thought this deserved it's own topic, so I made it stand alone.

You are correct, they are good at what they do. Romance scammers are particularly insidious because they take your heart, emotions and your money. Thank you for posting your story here for others to find. Do be careful on the internet. Do NOT send money to people you meet on the internet, regardless how sad the story they make up.

They try to get you to feel what it would be like to be in the "terrible" situation they say they are in. A successful businessman would have more contacts than his mom in a coma. I am glad you did see through the lies he told you to get money from you.

If you have his emails please also post up the headers. Thank you

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#63827 by began steele Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:30 am
The facebook profiles will help too. Putting those links on here for Google is just as important for the bots and we can extract the photos too and repost them marked as scammer for Google, to be found by anyone else.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.