If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#9904 by lindy F Fri May 22, 2009 3:15 pm
I recently wanted to find a room mate so I registered on roommates.com. A person contacted me and was very interested and asked if I could contact her via a personal email since her registration was expiring soon. She used the name Aliyah Winifred. She told me that she would send me a check for about $3500 and I could take out the required first months rent and deposit and asked if I could send the rest to her "travel agent". I knew this was definitely a scam so I called the FTC and reported the incident. I recieved the check in the mail for $2950 and immediately ripped it up as the FTC instructed me to do. The check was from Michael S Gloukhov/Baja Fresh in Alexandria, VA.

Be careful on this site. If you do use this site, only contact members who have paid. I avoided being caught up in this and probably getting my bank accounts wiped.

Please be careful.
Advertisement

#9905 by The Enchantress Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners lindy F. Thank You for posting this information. :=)

It will alert others and save them from being scammed.

I am glad to see you have seen through this scam. Well Done.

If you have any questions or concerns please post and a support team member will assist you ASAP.

A search on scammer name revealed this mail.

Hi

Thanks for your response,i'm really interested in renting your room and i will be glad to rent your place...I'm such a person who like a clean environment and privacy.I need an hygienic environment as i will like to live in a healthy surroundings.However,as i won't be available to come check the place before my move in date which is 5th of May.Or if you can assure me of the room been a nice and hygienic one..

ABOUT ME
Name:Aliyah Winifred
Height: 5' 9'
Weight: 118
Body Style: Athletic/Fit
Activity Level: Active
Smoking: No
Drinking: Socially
Marital Status: single
Children: no kid
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Languages I speak: English
Ethnicity: Caucasian/White
Religion: christian
Education: MCSA/MCSE I'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail. My favorites are;My favorite cuisines:Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek,Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, Vietnamese My favorite music:Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks...My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/Walking..

My favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast
Food/Pizza,French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai,Vietnamese..My favorite music: Dance/Electronic, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop,Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.My favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing,Swimming and Hiking/Walking

However, I do sell African beads,i used to buy it in BENIN and send it to Europe and U.S.A for sell and i based in Spain but now want to be selling it to the states there and based there..I am into sales of Beads and i do travel alot and i normally come to BENIN to buy them in large qualities and travel over to Euro and Usa and sell..

Right now i am coming down to open my own private beading company and thats means i will be staying there......

I am a citizenship of the united state and i used to come visit my uncle when i was a kid during holiday but he and his wife are both dead at the moment...I will be staying for 9months and if everything works out fine then i will extend my lease.

I had 3 cars at spain and sold the 3 cars because i am relocating and like i said i am in west africa now and when i come to the VA from here i will buy a car and set up my own beading production company that will require about 100 workers,Large land space to accomodate machine or better still a ware house,These is to let you know i am coming to invest big time in the state.

I would love to know some more about yourself,And let me know the total cost of the room.I dont have a scanner non fax but i think i do have an attached pictures on my laptop which i will try and send it to you in my next mail.

Regards,

Your future roommate,

Aliyah Winifred

Also this site has many more examples of similar scams;

http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3156

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.