If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#10687 by Kristyh Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:17 pm
I was contacted on a trusted website that I am a member of, a little while ago, by a man calling himself Andrey Collins, He said he was a modeling/talent scout with CoModelz in Manhattan New York. He stated that he was looking for 10 models to work with his clients, Beauty Page Ventures. He said that the job was urgent and he needed an answer as soon as possible.

After concenting to rec. information about the job, I rec.'d a long detailed (and very poorly written) email from him stating the nature of the ad campaign and even details about the clothing I'd be wearing. He said that the photographers would rent a studio in my area so I did not have to travel. That I could bring a number of people with me to the shoot, in an effort to make me more comfortable with their photographers.

After 2 emails from him, I became suspicious *mainly because I don't trust people at all* I began researching his claims. I found that no such companies existed. There were SIMILAR companies the names were alike but off by one or two letters. The address he gave me, was a Call Center in Manhattan for something completely different.

He said that he would send me a 'booking fee' up front and as soon as I got the check I was to cash it, (At MY bank ONLY) and I was to keep my fee and forward $1,142 to the photographer for travel expenses. I was to notify him AS SOON as the fee was sent Via Western Union.

After confiring with some one at the FBI they told me cease communications with this person NOW. Do not call him, email him or accept his check.

Well, I didn't listen. I played him like a fiddle, got the check in the mail and found out it was from a FIRE DEPARTMENT. (I won't say where). So I immediately called the fire Department after looking up their information on line and spoke to a very nice, but very upset woman who had just rec'd not only my call but a call from one other person.

I then was asked to send all the communications and fax a copy of the check as well as the envelope to them. I did, and because of my actions and the actions of the other honest model, They were able to freeze their accounts and contact the police in their area. No checks were cashed on their account and they've taken the appropriate steps to capture this internet scam artist.

A few weeks later, I rec'd another letter very similar (and just as poorly written) as this one. I informed them I report fraud to the FBI and was reassured that it was not a scam. I ceased communications with them when I was sure of it. Then today I got a letter confirming my suspicions. It was from this website. Thank you for the warning Juliet.

Kristy
Advertisement

#10695 by Arnold Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:04 pm
It's a very common scam. The check initially clears as there is enough money in the account to meet it, and the victim sends much of it vis WU to the scammer who can be anywhere in the world. Sometime later, the Fire Department spots the unauthorized debit, and reclaims the money from you. Leaving you with a much depleted or overdrawn account. And possibly in trouble for passing a fake check.
It's unlikely that the scammer will be arrested as he's in Nigeria, etc. He's probably using a check mule in your country to issue checks in the belief they are doing a legitimate job. Until they are arrested, that is.
We call playing with scammers "baiting", and you may want to visit www.419eater.com next door. You'll find us there also, but under different names.

#10699 by Kristyh Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:43 pm
Bating? lol.. well I hope they catch him, and by my baiting him/her/it. I was able to protect the fire department from losing anything. I'm happy about that. Though I won't do it again, as I really didn't expect to be put on a police witness list of any sort.
#10700 by Kristyh Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Arnold wrote:We call playing with scammers "baiting", and you may want to visit http://www.419eater.com .

LOL.. I was just reading about baiting. LOL.. I like that. maybe I should bait them.. When I have time that is. lol keep 'em busy
#10705 by Holly Brown Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:49 pm
Keeping them busy is what baiting is all about. The time they spend on baiters (who are untraceable and have no intention of sending anything to the scammer) is time they cannot spend scamming real victims.

Baiters also bait to get information to post here and elsewhere so sample emails and email addresses can be found here when someone does an internet search on an address or a phrase from a suspected scam email.

Also it's fun. We'll look for you on Eater. :D

[email protected] if you want to ask me more questions.
#10712 by Ralph Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:59 pm
Baiting is loads of fun and perfectly safe when done so safely, if you do want to deliberately correspond with scammers, please be sure to learn the precautions first, the good people of 419eater will be happy to show you how.

Baiting does indirectly prevent many people from being scammed but more importantly it will teach you how to spot and protect yourself and others from scams.

I will be looking forward to seeing you there :wink: