If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#12807 by carseller Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 pm
Hi All,

I own a small used car dealership in Canada and I advertise some of my cars on various sites like Craigslist and Motoseller. Anyway, within the span of 10 minutes I received 3 identical emails asking about 3 different vehicles. I immediately knew it was a scam, but decided to do a bit more research.

First, here is the full content of the inquiry. I would point out some the the errors, but I don't want to educate any potential lads. The message goes though motoseller, so I cannot get any useful header information. The return email address is "[email protected]".

Hello Seller,
How are ya doing today seller..i browsed through the internet and found your advert on canada.motoseller.com and also i will like know the condition of the car as at now and also let me know the last price you are asking for it..and i wll like you to get back to me in time..Thanks

Dennis.

Name:Dennis Robert
Phone:7065494621

The phone number is not in my area code, nor in any nearby region, so I did a search. My suspicions were confirmed because that phone number is associated with SEVERAL craigslist rental scams. I wanted to post this warning for the benefit of others that may be selling vehicles. I hope anyone that takes the time to search for the name, email, or telephone number finds this warning before making a serious mistake.

I did not bother to reply to any of the emails, so I don't know the exact nature of the intended scam. I am fairly certain that the "buyer" would have wanted to send me a fake cheque for a larger amount, asking me to send the balance to his "shipper" via WU or MG.
Advertisement

#12808 by AlanJones Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 pm
Hi carseller and welcome to ScamWarners.

You are probably right in your assumption that this is an overpayment scam. You would have been sent a cheque for more than the price of the car and asked to send the rest to a 'shipper' by Western Union or MoneyGram.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#12811 by Clair Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:04 pm
Hi Carseller and welcome! Thanks for posting up the information. Please feel free to post the information on this or any other Craigslist/Motoseller scammers that you come across in the Online Auction section, here:
viewforum.php?f=6

Your posts could prevent somebody else from becoming a victim.