If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#55973 by island5gurl Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:42 pm
Im so glad I googled Matthew Medley up because if I hadn't I wouldv'e been in big trouble. He posted an
add about caring for his sister. He told me that a check would be in the mail and that he would pay up front. It's been a month now and I still haven't had the check yet and he keeps on saying that it will be on this day or that day. Today, he asked me to post something on craigslist for him. When I asked why couldn't he do it himself, he just said he would pay me extra to do it. When I googled him up, I found this page. Thanks heaps!

This is his email to me:

My name is Matthew Medley,45 yrs old,I received your message
and I am glad you are interested in being my sister's caregiver. My
Sister will be coming from (Myrtle Beach,SC) and she will be moving on
25th of May. 2011. She's 35 years of age. 165lbs and 5.3ft,she speaks
English fluently.We really need you to be honest and trust worthy in
this work. The work basis are below.

-- You are to be checking on her at least 4 times in a week for proper
caring and to know how well about her health .

-- You will be earning $500 for 1 week of handling this work properly.

-- You will be driving her to hospital when the need arise for proper
medical check up at least once in a month and if you don't know how to
drive, you will hire a car.

-- Your working days will be Mon,Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.You
will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days
which will not affect your other regular work as this will be a part
time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for
other assistance there will be no problem.

So kindly provide me your full name and mailing address so that we can
ensure the housing agent get her an apartment which will be more
closer to your house and I hope about 10-15 miles will not be too far
for you.

Also we will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a
Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical tools
like one touch basic machine,acu-check machine and test trips in any
nearest pharmacy store around. So i want you to feed me back with the
following details so that we can ensure you are ready for the work.

First Name :
Middle Name:
Last Name:
Full Street Address(not PO BOX) :
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Cell Phone Number:
Home Phone Number:

I will be sending you her living address very soon so that you will
know where you will be working.I will give you her address once the
rental agent find her a suitable house. I will be awaiting your email
soonest and we can proceed as you can understand that the date is
getting approach.

We look forward to working with you.

Thank you,

Matthew
Advertisement

#56080 by Katharina Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:02 am
Welcome Island5gurl!
Thank you for posting this warning.
A lot of potential victims do a Google search on the scammer's email address. Could you please post it? It would make your warning even more efficient.
Thanks again!
#72730 by shari02 Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:14 pm
I went on to craigslist, and saw a job for a caregiver. I applied (sending my resume), and today I received the following email from Denise Lewis -- email: [email protected]. What I hate about this, is that my resume had my address and phone number. So there is no telling what this person will do with my information.

Good Morning,
I have received your resume message. My Mother(Michelle Ross) will be coming from (LIVERPOOL, UK) and she will be moving on 15th of November 2011. she is 60 Years of age. 140lbs and 5.8ft. She speaks English fluently.We would have moved her to elderly care center here in the state but she hate being there,I really need you to be honest and trust worthy in this work. The work basis are below:
- You are to be checking on My Mother at least 4 times in a week for proper caring and to know how well about her health and i think you have little medical experience.
- You will be earning $400 for 1 week of handling this work properly.
- You will be driving her to hospital when she need arise for proper medical check up at least once in a month and if you don't know how to drive, you will hire a car.
-- Your working days will be Mon,Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.You will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days
which will not affect your other regular work as this will be a part time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for
other assistance there will be no problem.

So kindly provide me your full name and mailing address so that we can ensure the housing agent get her an apartment which will be more
closer to your house and I hope about 10 miles will not be too far for you.
Also we will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical tools
like one touch basic machine, acu-check machine and test trips in any nearest pharmacy store around.
So I want you to feed me back with the following details so that we can ensure you are ready for the work.
1. Full Name
2. Mailing Address,
3. City
4. State and Zip Code
5. Phone Number
6.Age, Sex and marital status.

I will be sending you her living address very soon so that you will know where you will be working.I will give you her living address once
the rental agent find her a suitable house.
I will be awaiting your email soonest and we can proceed as you can understand that the date is getting approach.
Thanks. Denise
#72752 by Bubbles Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:42 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners shari02, thank you for posting this information.

Scammers are interested in your money, not your identity. The will send you a check for your future services, then cancel your services and ask for money back. They will tell you you can keep some of the money for your trouble. The thing is, the check will be forged. Do not deposit the check into your account. Do not send them any money by Western Union.

In this case, they may ask you to send the equipment they ask you to buy to their address when they cancel. Don't buy anything and don't send them anything.

It is phishers who want your identity.

You can just ignore any future contacts. If you happen to receive a call from them, just tell them you don't want the job now and you destroyed the check. Once you say that, hang up on them and don't take any more calls from them. They will leave you alone.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#76834 by ScammedinOxford Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:33 pm
Hi,

Same scammer, I posted lessons offering French Tuition in Oxford and got this email first:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Good day to you and I hope you are doing good?. I would want to know
if you have slots to accommodate my son for lesson 2 to 3 times a
week as well as letting me know your Area of
Expertize/Specialization.Thanks for being there and hope to hear from
you soon.

Thanks.
smart john
---------------------------------------------------------------

I sent a reply asking about the level of his son's French, etc etc ... next email from "Smart John" was:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your reply,am happy to hear that you will be able to
accommodate Steven.I will be grateful if you can inculcate the
knowledge into my son if everything can work out fine as plan.Am from
London (England) ,and i will be arriving in your state this coming
month along with my family on a missionary course.I will be busy
although,that is why i decide to make the lesson arrangement and also
i have been willing to get him such lesson before so i think this is
the opportunity for him.UNICEF are sponsoring the program in
conjunction with local Company's From united states.They will be
responsible for all my expediences including the lesson charges so
they will be sending you a cashier check from the Tutor.I hope you
will be able to help Steven and he can gain allot before my visit end
there.He his 15 yrs and intelligent.The lesson is going to be for 4
weeks ,1 hours in a day (3 days in week).Which is going to be 12
lesson in Total.Also you don't have to worry concerning how he will be
Coming to the lesson location because i have already made all
necessary arrangement for all his needs infarct i have negotiate with
a Cab Company that will provide him a Cab and driver that will be
driving him to the lesson and driving him back home after the lesson
.How much is the 12 lesson going to cost ? And if there is any
material he his going to need for the lesson don't hesitate to include
it so that i can make the arrangement with the lesson charges Or
getting it along when he his coming.Just let me know Ok.

I will need the information below for the payment :

(1) Total charges for the 12lesson : ( 1hrs in a day 3 days in a week
for good 4 weeks )

(2) Full name to be on the check:

(3) Full Street Address :
City, State, Postal Zip Code to ship the check to:

(4) Two E-mail addresses & Phone number for easy communication:

Below Is My Name and address :

Address: Belvedere Road,
London, SE 1 7PB
Phone #: +447023072974

I will be waiting to read from you shortly

Thanks and God bless You.

Smart John
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this guy gave an address and phone number. The address is to a hotel in London, and the phone number ... well, Google it and the first hit is another scam-tracking forum! Apparently someone else used the same phone number in a scam about a year ago ...

I'm not sure if this is a known address or name (if Smart John really is his name?!) but here's one more to add to the list.

The one interesting difference is so far there has been no mention of a Nanny, but rather he is now using UNICEF ... surely this raises the stakes?
#101777 by Kathryn Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 pm
I'm glad I read this. I got an email from the same person using the exact same email.

Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 11:11 PM
Subject: Re: Home Health Aide position

Hello
Thanks for your email toward the Medical Assistant position i posted on Craigslist, I'm truly sorry for the lateness response to your message,It's great opportunity to have your email and i will be looking forward to read back from your prompt response. My Sister will be coming from (Oregon)and she will be moving in 18th of June 2012. she is 69Years of age. 140lbs and 5.8ft. She speaks English fluently.We really need an honest and trust worthy with patience kind of person for this Position. The work basis/duties are below.- You are to be checking on My Sister at least 3 times in a week for proper caring and to know how well about her health doing and i think you have little medical experience ?

- You will be earning $400 weekly handling this job properly.
- You will be driving her to hospital when she is needed for medical check up which should be at least twice in a month and if you don't know how to drive, you will hire a car for her.
-- Your working days will be Mon,Wed and Friday.You will have to prescribe the convenient hours during each of this days which will not affect your other regular work in case you have one as this will be a part time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for other assistance there will be no problem.So kindly provide me with the requested information below so that we can ensure the housing agent get her an apartment which will be more closer to your house and I hope about 5 miles will not be too far for you.Also we will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical tools like one touch basic machine,acu-check machine and test trips in any nearest pharmacy store around. So I want you to feed me back with the following details so that we can ensure you are ready for the work.

1. Full Name
2. Mailing Address,
3. City
4. State and Zip Code
5. Phone Number

I will give you her living address once the rental agent find her a suitable house. Will be awaiting your email soonest and we can proceed as you can understand that the date is getting approach.
Thanks

I haven't responded because something seemed a little off about it. For one thing, when I apply for jobs on Craigslist I don't use my yahoo email account. I use a gmail account, and yet this came to my Yahoo email account.

Anyway, I decided to do a search to see how much this equipment he wanted me to purchase would cost and I saw this post. I was also put off by wanting to know my age, sex and marital status.

Anyway, thank you for warning me about this, before I gave him any of my personal information. It's still creepy he replied to my yahoo account when that wasn't the email I used to contact him. I guess he used the resume I sent him to dig up personal info about me.
#109328 by vlmc1234 Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am
I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THIS WEBSITE! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

ANOTHER SCAM CAUGHT IN TIME

"Denise Lewis" [email protected] (this email and "Denise" is the same name mentioned in this post by someone else).

Any email SIMILAR to this could be a scam so be careful!

Here is the email she sent me (after I responded to her AD on Craigslist):
Hello,

Thanks for your email. I need a caregiver for my Mother, who will be coming from HAWAII (Honolulu) soon. she is 70 Years of age, 140lbs and 5.8ft. She can speak English fluently. We would have moved her to elderly care center here in the State but she doesn't like being there. I really need you to be honest and trust worthy in this work. The work basis are below:

- You are to be checking on My Mother at least 4 times in a week for proper caring and to know how well about her health and i think you have little medical experience.
- You will be earning $400 a week for handling this work properly.
- You will be driving her to the hospital when the need arises for proper medical check up at least once in a month and if you don't know how to drive a car, you can hire it.
- Your working days will be Mon, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. You will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days which will not affect your other regular work as this will be a part time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for other assistance, you are absolute free to do so.

To proceed, kindly provide me your full name and mailing address so that we can ensure the housing broker get her an apartment which will be more closer to your house. I hope about 10 miles will not be too far for you. Also we will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical tools in any nearest pharmacy store around you. If all this works for you, you can get back to me with the following details so that we can ensure you are ready for the work.

1. Full Name
2. Mailing Address,
3. City
4. State and Zip Code
5. Phone Number

I will be sending you her address very soon so that you will know where you will be working. I will give you her home address once the housing broker find her a suitable house. I will be awaiting your email and we can proceed as you understand that the date of her arrival is close.

Thanks!
#116305 by Cali8 Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 am
GOOD LUCK OUT THERE...I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS GOING ON!!! GLAD YOU GUYS GOT THIS GOING!!!!
Betty Wills [email protected]
Jul 27 (1 day ago)
Hello,

I noticed your post on Craigslist about the services you render...i am relocating to your area so I need someone who can render tutorial service for my 15 years old daughter ( Faith ) who needs tutorial in your specialized field. And she is a middle school student. So i would like to make a tutoring arrangement between you and my daughter for the month of July 2012, I would like you to tutor her within a period of 1 or 2 month, on a schedule basis of 1 hr Daily, 3 times weekly, totaling 12 times in a month.

I'm willing to pay your rates, so kindly get back to me with the total cost of tutoring her for a month / 4 weeks. And i will be paying you through a pay check or cashier. Thanks and i await your quick response asap...

Ceceilia Robert [email protected]

Is the lesson still available?

I respond, "Yes"

Ceceilia Robert [email protected] <--------change of email
Thank you for getting back to me. my son is coming for an holiday in
your area His full name is Eric Robert and he is 15years old I want
him to be busy in the time
of the day, because i will be in SPAIN Bacelona to visit relatives for
a month I want you to calculate the cost of 1hr per day for two days
in week for the a Month
and email me the total cost. and how much experience do you have in
that aspect?i have decided to let him attend your lesson and he will
be coming 1 hour in a day in
the Afternoon, also get back to me with your own convenient time and
days you want my son to be coming in 2 days in a week and when you
will be available to start with my son next week, i haves Someone
that will always drives him down to your lesson center..I will be
happy if you can help my son because my son is highly
interested and he discovered your post Adverts on Craigslist web site itsself.
Kindly get back to me with the following:

1.YOUR CHARGE FOR AN HOUR....
2.TOTAL CHARGES FOR 1 MONTH THAT HE WILL BE TAUGHT 2 TIMES PER WEEK..
3.FULL NAME AND ADDRESS WITH ZIP CODE....
4.YOUR PHONE NUMBER...
My due regards

Ceceilia
Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful.
They are sunshine, food and medicine to the soul

Finally the last one recieved in the last 48 hours:

Alicia Morgan [email protected]
Hello,
Good day to you over there, I need a tutor for myson (john) i got
your advert while surfing through the internet and i really want my
child to be taught by you. john is a very nice boy and easily catch up.
easy going his neat boy and gentle and intellingent, he loves
education and atlethics. Although, i understand you are in (U.S} but
i've arranged with my Nanny ASSOCAITE living there that my son is
coming to stay with him for his period of tutoring and he has agreed
with me,i'm based in UK...Kindly get back to me with this information
bellow

1.YOUR CHARGE FOR AN HOUR....
2.TOTAL CHARGES FOR 1 MONTH THAT HE
WILL BE TAUGHT 3 TIMES PER WEEK..
3.FULL NAME AND ADDRESS WITH ZIP CODE....
4.YOUR PHONE NUMBER...
Don't hesitate to e-mail with your total charges.

Thanks...............
Last edited by Bubbles on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#120371 by paola777 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 pm
I just recently had problems also. The person is using Cecilia Roberts also. gmail [email protected]
Ceceilia Robert <[email protected]> They claimed they wanted art lessons for their son I didnt give out any info, I am so thankful and I looked up the email address and found your post thank you!!!
#120551 by tlwirth Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:00 pm
I have a boat for sale on Craig's List and seem to get a lot of scammers. The first email seemed a bit "off" but I kept a dialog going. Lucky for me, I got another email from a totally different person with nearly the same email content. I then did research on line and learned of the "PayPal Scam."

The following emails have been sent to me:

Joseph William - [email protected]
Richard Charbonneau - [email protected]
Ferd Clack - [email protected]
Catherine Daniels - [email protected]
Pikqe Merida - [email protected]
Ice Smith - [email protected]

Wow, that's one month of scammers...Be careful out there!
#126698 by BbwBunnie Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 pm
I've received 2 such scam emails so far. Disheartening, as I'm trying desperately to make a name for myself teaching piano lessons and I get no decent replies, only fakes...

Addresses seen so far:
Munelabi4
Godmaylove75
Both are @gmail.com

Will keep track and post others as I receive them...
#126704 by Bubbles Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 am
Welcome to ScamWarners BbwBunnie , please post up some of the messages you have received. It helps people who are searching to see if they are dealing with a scammer.

I have made the email addresses whole so the search engines can find them:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#127504 by hnymeyer Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 pm
I advertised to tutor. The initial email was from [email protected] via craigslist.org:

Hi, I was going through the Craigslist Resume page and will like to confirm if you are still looking for work?

My reply elicited a response from [email protected]:
Hello,
Am glad to hear from you and everything sound good to me, Am Leo
thomas by name, my son is coming for an holiday in your (CITY), His
name is Eric and he is 15 years old .I want him to be busy during the
day, because i will be in SPAIN for business trip for a month that is
why i want him to be lesson, Am okay with your price and i have
decided to let him attend your lesson and he will be coming 2 hour in
a day in the Afternoon,also get back to me with your own convenient
time and day you want my son to be coming in 2 days in a week and
ihave Someone (Nanny) that will always drives him down to your lesson
center...I will be happy if you can help my son because my daughter
is highly interested in your tutor lesson and she can avoid to miss
it.

Kindly get back to me with your information below.

First Name:
Last Name:
Full address: Not P.O.BOX
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Phone Number: That i can send text message

The reason why i need the information is that the payment will sent to
you through Usps Or FedEx Courier, So that the courier can deliver the
payment to you. Hope you understand me better.
Thanks
#127514 by Bryon Williams Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:39 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners hnymeyer,

Yes, The email came from a scammer. Thank you for posting the email and email addresses.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/