If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#130897 by proof Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm
[email protected] tried to pull a scam on me too on craigslist.

They sent me the following email in response to my ad:

Fellicia Robert [email protected]
10:45 PM (13 hours ago)

Hello! let's do like this, actually now I'm not in town for now, I
came to visit my son so i wont be able to meet with you but am ok with
the price as seen on the advert, I'll proceed in issuing a Check out
to you and when you received the check , I will make arrangement for
pick-up. So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Phone Number:

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you
and i will let you know when its mailed out. I need you to be honest
with the sale as I am a God fearing person.

Thanks

I sent them this response in return:

I apologize but on my way back from Mars, there was a massive incident at the International Space Station as I waited for transport back to Earth. Apparently one of the Russian cosmonauts left the Jell-O making machine on and now the whole space station has filled up with grape Jell-O and we are all stuck in it and can barely move. I am afraid I will not be able to make it back to Earth anytime soon to complete this transaction. Please contact NASA and tell them we need help.

Thanks.
Advertisement

#146319 by babala Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 am
Hi To All :

I received email similar to the one posted above but was a bit altered. I almost reply on this email when i decided to google it. Judge for your self:

([email protected])

"Hello,

How are you doing today? I have received your message which is quite okay by me. My Sister will be coming to stay in your area, and she will be moving on 20th of March she is 62 Years of age. 140lbs and 5.8ft. We really need you to be honest and trust worthy in this Position.

The work basis/duties are below.

You are to be checking on My Sister at least 3 times in a week for proper caring and to know how well about her health and I think you have little medical experience? You will be earning £400 weekly handling this job properly. You will be taking her to hospital for medical check up which should be at least once in 2 weeks and if you don't know how to drive, you will hire a car for her. Your working days will be choosing by you. You will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days which will not affect your other regular work in case you have one as this will be a part time work for you and if you want to live with her in the house for other assistance there will be no problem.

So kindly provide me with the requested information below so that we can ensure the housing agent get her an apartment which will be more closer to your house and I hope about 6 miles will not be too far for you. Also i will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a Cashier Check or Money Order asap, so i can be assured I have secured you to take care of her and you will help her get some medical tools like one touch basic machine, Acu-check machine and test trips in any nearest pharmacy store around. So I want you to feed me back with the following details so that we can ensure you are ready for the work.

Full Name:
full Mailing Address (not P..O.Box please):
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Cell Phone:
Home Phone:
Best Time To Call:
Present Job Status/Position:
Email Address:

I will give you her living address once the real estate agent find her a suitable house closer to you . Will be awaiting your email soonest and we can proceed as you can understand that the date is approaching. I would have loved to talk to you over the phone about this , but I just recovered from stroke and hypertension which took my voice, but am very okay now, my hands and legs are fit now, just that I have not gained my voice.. I hope you can understand my issues .

Regards. Mr Braulio Reyes "

#146365 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am
This is the comedy end of scamming with a muddled mail that barely makes sense, and is confused as to whether it's referring to someone in the US or UK. He's probably scamming victims in both countries and is unaware that we use different terminology.

As you'll be meeting the sister you don't need a cheque, she can bring cash with her. :D

Unless they can dump a counterfeit cheque on you the scam doesn't work.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#146605 by FireFighterFemale33 Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm
Similar situation in trting to sell a piano. Unfortunately I accepted the payment and went through everything as asked. What I got... a -1800 bank account and a broken piano (what I was trying to get rid of). What upset me most wasn't the loss of money, it was the lack of anyone willing to help get this guy. I sent the money order to texas I could have easily sent it to a specific location and had them pick up the person that picked up the money order. I tried everyone I could think of and what I got was "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" etc etc. NOBODY helped they were all like, oh sorry! And they could not offer any more than that. Yet there are people scamming people every day its sickening. Only accept cash in person and never reply to an email/text message that just doesn't sound right!!
#146658 by Clair Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 am
Welcome FireFighterFemale33, The sad truth is that the scammer is probably in western Africa or eastern Europe so US authorities have no way of finding the thief. You said "money order" but I assume that means Western Union or MoneyGram. With those services it does not really matter where the money is picked up as long as the person picking up the money has the sender name, sender location and maybe a test question answer and the control number. Fake identification cards such as a passport or driver's license are easy to obtain. So if you sent the money to a specific person in Texas, he/she could claim the money at a local office in Nigeria. As long as they have the right information and a plausible form of identification.

While the local police in your town will not be able to catch the thief, it is still a good idea to file a report just so they have it on record. Also take a copy of the police report to your bank so they know the situation. You might be able to make a claim to your insurance company or claim a tax deduction for theft loss. Check with your insurance company and a tax preparer.
#164128 by becdoot Wed May 01, 2013 4:29 am
I posted an ad on Craigslist looking to sublet a room in my apartment for the summer. I'm a student and live in a very small college town. I got this reply from an "Amanda Christopher"

HI ..DO YOU STILL HAVE THIS ROOM AVAILABLE FOR RENT PLEASE? IF SO REPLY BACK TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS @ [email protected] WITH THE MONTHLY COST PLEASE AND ALSO THE PICTURE

I sent a generic reply and this is what I got back from munelabi4@

Thanks for getting back to me.. My full name is Amanda Christopher I'm
25 yrs old.(FEMALE) I was born in Ewa beach Hawaii, my Dad is from US
while my Mum is from CHINA .I graduated from Georgia state university
last year. I'm fun loving, personal, friendly, clean, caring and
respectful of others, a non-smoker, don't do drugs but i drink
occasionally, am single and have no children. I go to church every
Sunday. I am coming for my masters but am presently on research work
in Guam, .I would have loved to call you but this is a remote area
calls is hard to go through from here and i don't want to waste much
time. I'm really interested in renting from you, i would have loved to
see it but am very far, and with pictures I will really appreciate it.
I really want you to tell me more about yourself and i will like to
know if you have a if garage or parking space because ill have my own
car coming over, please let me know the total payment of the place and
all the Utilities of the room, payment will be done via US Cashier or
Certified Check from a reputable Bank .The following details will be
needed so that the payment can be issue out right away will very glad
to read from you soon till then have a lovely day and God bless.

Get back to me with the information to facilitate the mailing of the

check.

First Name:

Last Name:

Street Address:

City, State,

Zip Code:

Cell Phone Number:

Note:.. My Dad will issue out the payment for the deposit as soon as
possible, with that you can hold on the place for me till I come, and
payment will be shipped to your address via Ups or FedEx or Usps .
I'll be waiting to read back from you with the information requested
today.

Best Regards

Amanda

Note that the email changed from munelabi2 to munelabi4, that's what set me off. So I did a quick search and I'm really glad I did because I found this thread warning me of this scam!

Mod edit: Removed size tags, no need for huge fonts. DJ
#164137 by TerranceBoyce Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 am
Scammers like to make excuses as to why you can't phone them to avoid disclosing their real location through the telephone code, that won't agree with their cover story. Secondly a West African scammer will be immediately recognisable and you probably won't understand a word they say, and they know this will put you on your guard.

Never ever deal with anyone who won't give you their phone number and, if they can get computer access they can get a phone line. They're hiding from you and it's not sensible to do any business with anyone who hides from you.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#164144 by vonpaso xlura Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am
Whoever wrote that didn't graduate from any American university and probably didn't even graduate from a Nigerian university. The writing is that of an uneducated West African.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#166985 by Bryon Williams Sun May 26, 2013 9:23 pm
Hello and welcome to Scamwarners echofilm,

Thank you for posting and letting everyone know that [email protected] is still scamming. The scammer did not want you to reply through craigslist. He will risk his craigslist account with his scam messages.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#209445 by Mommajuggalo Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:36 pm
Just was scammed. Found an ad on craigslist for a caregiver needed. Same emails received as ya'll with a few different details. Email was [email protected] and number used was 530-638-7159. Thank god for this site. Only place that made it easy to find the right info. I gave em my name, email, phone number, po box, age and marital status before I found out it was a scam. I've blocked the phone number. Now.what should I do to protect myself?
#248868 by Gina Villalvazo Fri May 01, 2015 9:58 pm
Scammers are so common now! I rarely get a genuine response online! Ive had a bad experience on eBay, (don't ship to Nigeria!!)
Recently I was advertising on Craigslist for a service. These are the emails used: [email protected], and [email protected]
its emails to get information:

First:
Hi, my son 16 years old is very interested in your lesson but I am not available today due to a death in the family,the earliest would be tomorrow evening. Did you not receive the previous 2 messages I sent you? I can meet with you wherever it is convenient for you,I was thinking a Walgreens or Wal-mart would be good but I can as well come to your house if okay by you and finalize the charges per hour so What is the last price you are looking at per hour because I would want him to be tutored/teached 2 hrs per week. Do let me know your schedule and the cost of taking him 2 times a week ,I work mornings and I'm not off until (tomorrow evening) so would not be able to meet you until then, I am so ready to pay with cash once we meet tomorrow. Do you mind sharing a phone number with me too so we can set up a time to meet? Send me your number @ [email protected] in order to set up something asap. Regards

second email:
Thanks for getting back to me,Due to the death in the Family i will
not be able to come to meet as we schedule Kindly Calculate charges
for 2hrs in a day and 2 times in a week and total for 4 weeks My son
name is Eric and is 15 years old he is just a beginner .I want him to
be busy in the time of the day, because i will be out of state for
Funeral Ceremony for a month and i have someone that will always
drives him down to your lesson center. get back to me with your
convenient day and time Get back to me with the information to
facilitate the mailing of the check.
kindly get back to me with your full name and Mailing address so that
I can issue and send you the check for the advance payment for one
month lesson fee

-Full Name
-Full Address Apt # suite # OR P.O BOX #
- City
- ZipCode
-including your cell phone #

Gender AND Age
Regards
Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

BE CAREFUL, RESEARCH BEFORE YOU TAKE ANY ACTION
#333200 by Etty hill Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 am
Thank you for your info: I posted an advertisement for a caregiver.

I received two responses.

When I saw how similar they were I got suspicious...actually I should have been suspicious with the first one. How would someone give me a job of taking care of his mother without meeting me. I wouldn't do that.

I will post both so you can see the similarities.
"Hello,

How are you doing? Thanks for getting back to me,I have received
your email message which is quite okay with me. My mother will be
coming from Champlin Minnesota and she will be coming around next
week,she is 62 Years of age. 140lbs and 5.8ft. She speaks English
fluently.We really need you to be honest and trust worthy in this
Position. The work basis/duties are below.- You are to be checking on
My mother at least 3 times in a week for proper caring and to know how
well about her health and i think you have little medical experience ?

You will be earning $400 weekly handling this job properly.
You will be driving her to hospital when she is needed for medical
check up which should be at least once in a month and if you don't
know how to drive, you will hire a car for her. Your working days will
be ,Wed, Friday and saturday.You will have to prescribe the convenient
hours during each of this days which will not affect your other regular
work in case you have one as this will be a part time work for you and
if you want to live with her in the house for other assistance there
will be no problem. So kindly provide me with the requested
information below so that we can ensure the housing agent get her an
apartment which will be more closer to your house and I hope about 6
miles will not be too far for you. Also we will be paying you the
first week wages upfront via a Certified Check because you will help
her to get some medical tools like one touch basic machine,acu-check
machine and test trips in any nearest pharmacy store around. So you
will receive the payment of $1,850 and once you receive the payment
and get it cashed. You will be deducting your first week wages of $400
and the rest of the fund will be transfer by money gram to the Real
estate agent for the new apartment she will be staying in your area. I
will be sending the information of the rental agent to you after you
receive the payment, I am entrusting you on this payment that will be
coming to you and I will need your full trust along this line because
I must be sure of your honesty and full satisfactory of your well
being.So I want you to feed me back with the following details so that
we can ensure you are ready for the work and let me know if I can
trust you with this.

Full Name:
Full Mailing Address (including City,State, Zipcode)
Home Phone:
Best Time To Call:

I will give you her living address once the rental agent find her a
suitable house. Will be awaiting your email soonest and we can proceed
as you can understand that the date is getting approach.

Thanks.".

Second

"I received your response in the mail and I have subsequently decided to approve you for this job,Thus I'm very sure you are competent enough to handle this.My mother will be coming from Toledo,OH.She is 68,140lbs and 5.8",paraplegic,has diabetic her name is Melinda.This work requires your absolute honesty and dedication.

Here are the basics:-
You are to be checking on her at least 4 times/week for proper caring.
You'll be paid $400/week.
You'll be driving her to hospital when needed for medical check up at least once in a month.You can call a Taxi(at my expense)in case you don't have a car.Your working days will be Mon,Wednesday,Friday and Saturday.You will have to prescribe the convenient hrs during each of this days so your regular job won't be affected.
I will be paying you the first week wages upfront via a Certified Check because you will help her to get some medical tools like one touch basic machine,acu-check machine and test trips from the pharmacy.
Please complete the blocks below so I can look up an agent to find out an apartment within the radius of 10 miles maximum:
1... Full Name
2... Address
3....City
4...State and Zip Code
5...Cell Phone Number

I'll return your email to let you know the address where she'll be moving to when I received the above request.
Thanks,
Best Regards

PS:Send your response ASAP if interested."

Thank you for your help.
#333212 by Bill F Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:07 am
Hi Etty :D
Welcome to Scamwarners and thanks for posting up the 2 responses you received. Yes, you are correct, it's a scam.
If you have them please post their email addresses or phone numbers so others might be warned, too.
#333213 by Etty hill Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:12 am
Here is what I wrote back to both
Here are their names and emails.

I don't feel comfortable working for someone who would have me take care of his mother without meeting me in person.

Two options:

Your are a jerk and so desperate to have your Mother off your hands

Or

You are in the process of scamming someone who has only a desire to help.

Both are not good. I am sorry but I feel sick to think you would have taken advantage of a sweet polish woman who has integrity. I hope you have a conscience...perhaps you are trying to get easy money but there are victims to your crime and you will have to answer for what you are doing... in this life or the next.

[email protected]

Anthony waters

Gloria

+1 (443) 420-8853
[email protected]