If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#1985 by colonel Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:44 pm
It is so frustrating to see a new post everyday on a forum about someone getting an offer of help. ScamWarner and Scam Patroller have posted on that site and no one pays any attention to them. Here is todays "helper":

Hello,
This Mr Daniel Smith...I am the financial secretary of the Firestone Textiles Limited here in Milpitas...California...The company has decided to use this month to help the poor and the needy.during our last convention,we tried to raise some money with the help of our client.we want to help you with the $200.this site was recomended by one of the workers as a website for people who needs help.We will like to have your full name,contact address and phone number.. please mail back to [email protected]
Thanks GOD bless you Mr Daniel Smith

There is a new scam letter posted every other day on that site and the members refuse to believe that scammers could get to them in that site.
Any suggestions on what someone should do or should I just resign from that forum and forget about them. I hate to see them taken like this.
Advertisement

#1986 by Scam Patroller Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:51 pm
Yep, and all they have to do is Google the email address he posted:

http://www.google.com/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=utf-8

Previously the same email addres was used in a representative scam, different company name this time, KIN HING HONG TEXTILES LTD:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Lh ... ient=opera

The one eyed man is king in the land of the blind.

[edit]

I found the topic you were referring to, most seem to know it's a scam, although they should not be replying to the scammer:

http://www.robinhoodfund.com/forum/topi ... ost-138937

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, then it is.

http://www.419eater.com - http://www.aa419.org

#1987 by colonel Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:10 pm
Those people have no idea what they are doing. They think nothing of using their entire name as their e-mail addy and post it all over that site. Along with their town and state. Scary.
#1990 by Ed Williams Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:39 am
^^^Which in turn gives the scammers more real life info to target these people. Quite often people do receive emails to Mr Smith, when their name really is Smith. Usually this is blind coincidence but the more people leave their details posted around the web, the more the scammers can tailor their emails to specific people.
Everyone should remember 'People you don't know will not email you and offer you money'. End of story.

#1999 by Michelle Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:14 am
Unfortunately the main forum on a site like Robinhood Fund is so busy that it's members can't be expected to keep up with all the posts ...even if they wanted to !

The thing is that these kind of scams are being spammed as Private Messages and people are replying.

@colonel ... perhaps you could keep your eye on the site, rather than resign, and post those kind of posts over here.

#2031 by colonel Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: My dearest welcome me-Please.
Date: September 2, 2007, 8:45 am
My dearest welcome me-Please.
From Prince Domic Eres
After going through your profile from www.robinhoodfund.com , I decided to contact you for the relationship and bussines assistance .

Well, to introducing myeslf, I am Prince Domic Eres, TWENTY TWO years old now, I am a citizen of Sierra Leone in West Africa.

I am writing to solicit your noble assistance for the transfering and investment of Six Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars in your country under your guardianship.I am the only surivival son of late Chief. Anthony Eres. Before the death of my late father, he was the Director of Cocoa & Gold Dealers in Abidjan capital of Cote D'Ivorie , Sierra Leone and Accra Ghana respectively.My late father was poisoned by my uncle with ganged up of my father's bussiness associates in one of their dinner.

Before the death of my father, he called me confidentially and informed me in confidence of this sum of Six Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars he deposited in a bank here in Abidjan-Cote D'Ivoire. he further advised me to search for a reliable partner overseas who will assist me transfer and invest the money in overseas in case he did not survive in the hospital .Unfortunately, he died. I am soliciting your kind assistance in the following ways :

To provide me a good account information were this money will be transfered.
To help me seek for a good business to invest the money into.
To help me search for a better school to continue my education over there.
To help me come over there to start a new life there.

I have the Official Deposit Lodgement Slip , Deposit agreement bond and my late father's WILL which he made before his untimely death. So, I look forward to hear from you so that we will proceed and as soon as we retrieve the deposit, I will without wasting time come down to your country to witness the investing of the money, Meanwhile, you will be compensate with 20% of the money for your noble assistance.More detail will be giving to you in my next mail.

As I am writing to you now, I am hiding myself in a local Guest House hotel for the safety of my life due to that my uncle because he want to kill me in order to claims this money deposited by my late father with my name as the next of kin.

Please help me to accord this transaction with the due confidentiality it demands. I appreciate it if you will respond to me as soon as possible.I will send you my Identification in my subsequent mail upon hearing from you. This transaction will bring us into an everlasting relationship rooted on truth and fear of God.

Please reply me directely on this my private mail box for more detail
( [email protected] )
Also call my with my hotel direct phone number
+225 08822989.

May God Bless You ,while expecting your immediate response.

Best regards,
Prince Domic Eres.

Unfortunately this is a forum where the header info is not available to me.

#2032 by Scam Patroller Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:46 pm
Whilst there are no headers or IP address, he says he is from Africa, and the next best thing is the phone number, which is from Ivory Coast, West Africa:

+225 08822989
Number billable as: mobile number
Country or destination: Côte D'Ivoire
Original network provider*: Orange Côte d’Ivoire

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, then it is.

http://www.419eater.com - http://www.aa419.org

#2033 by colonel Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:37 pm
That was today's letter. There is a new one every day or so. I would like to find out if they are all originating from the same area. I have told the members that so many of them have responded to these guys that the forum has been labeled as an easy hit by the scammers. It would not surprise me that these all come back to one person in the end. But the members keep responding. Oh, well. I have plenty of baiting oppurtunities. I don't have to go out looking for them.

#2040 by Michelle Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:24 am
Just for the record and to add confirmation to Scam Patroller's post.

Mr (Scammer) Domic Eres. will reply to you from IP address 196.201.88.82 which places him firmly in the Ivoiry Coast <Cote d'Ivoire>

[email protected]

from domic eres <<e_domic10>>

Dearest Michelle

Good morning and many thanks to accept my request. Please i will like you to always communicate me through email address as you sent this message to me. Please get back to me with your direct telephone number so that i will details you more about the transfer first.
Thanks
Domic Eres.

#2080 by colonel Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 am
How are you doing?I understand you need finance.I was once in a situation just like yours.I was helped out by an invetment company located in london.If you are interested in contacting them for help you can send them an email via [email protected].

That is the entire message, no name, nothing. Must be really lazy.

#2081 by ChrisSmith Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:41 am
We see scams like that one quite often. Sometimes, it's an indicator that the scammer isn't very good at writing English, so the shorter, the less mistakes he makes and the less chance he has of being found out.
He also hopes that by writing something so short, he'll gain your interest and you'll be tempted to email for more details.

Either way, the results are the same as a long, well written scam.