If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#2172 by scammedman Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:43 pm
Good looking girl on Myspace, has a story about an African mother and a Belgian father. To finish it short I asked which country in Africa, she said Nigeria. At this point I finished conversation with her (she was really angry, wuhahaha!)

Her:
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =277900321
Photo: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=1448365
Advertisement

#2174 by ChrisSmith Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:49 am
You'll probably find your "her" was a "he"!!! :shock:

One way of catching scammers on websites like Myspace or on dating sites is to take a good look at the profile.
When genuine people sign up to these sites, they normally want to tell you a lot about themselves. They want to tell you who they are, go into detail about what they like, basically fill their profile page up.
A scammer will very rarely do that. He knows that his account could be on borrowed time, so why spend ages working on it? Not only that, but he won't have the skills to actually fill up the page properly. He'll generally post a few "borrowed" photos of a model that he's found elsewhere on the net and copy and paste a couple of words stolen from elsewhere. Always look out for bad grammar, spelling and words that seem out of place. This might not be an indicator in itself (a lot of genuine English speakers can't write too well) but if your guy/girl is claiming to be a businessman/woman, you would expect them to show at least some degree of literacy.

Another way to tell is by the Yahoo address. A lot of scammers use the "sweet_baby" line. Must be an African thing!!! The scammer will normally try to make his address seem alluring to attract his victim. You'll see "sexy_girl", "sweet_girl", that sort of thing. No modesty there, I'm afraid!!!

You've found a definite scammer there scammedman. Well done for outing "her". :=)