Room for Rent and other rental scams
Advertisement

#256696 by Cyenz Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:13 pm
Hi,

I have the same experience from the easyroomate singapore. Here is what she send me:

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 08:03:43 -0400
Subject: RE: Clean and stylish studio
To: [email protected]

Hello,

My name is Alena Svobodova and I just got an e-mail regarding your interest in my apartment in 3 Geylang Lorong 42, District 14, ( Building Aston Mansions ), 398026 Singapore.
I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment, because my company has won an auction for a big construction project in Liverpool, United Kingdom and now I am here. I'm a project manager in civil engineering, so my accommodation period here will be very large (more than 4 years). I bought this flat when I worked in Singapore as part of a 4 year contract, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent. I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there.
I prefer to rent my flat cheaper and but to a nice and responsible person, so I would like to know more details about yourself : How old are you, if you are married, if you have a pet, if you have a car, occupation etc.. I must say that I have nothing against the fact if you're a student and I love pets and they are welcome in the apartment. You should also know that I appreciate the sincerity.
In addition to the rest, here is some information about myself and about the apartment, so we knew a little more.
The apartment is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished, fully equipped, so you won't need anything to move in (you can also bring your own things furniture if you have).
The monthly rent for the ENTIRE flat is 735 SG$ including utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable, one parking space). You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of three months.
About myself, I am 56 years old, single woman, and as mentioned above I am a project manager in civil engineering, currently living in Liverpool, United Kingdom. You can move into the apartment the same day you receive the keys. I'm in Liverpool, but I already though at a solution so you can get the keys and visit the apartment to make an impression.
I appreciate your interest in my apartment and I'm looking forward to our future collaboration and friendship.

Sincerely,
Alena

Click the link for pictures: http://share.pho.to/9RfLF

Since the email sounds sincere, then I checked the name Alena Svobodova in the internet & nothing suspicious found, so I replied her with a bit of my background and ask some question. Also, I suggest for us to video call during weekends. And she reply me back like this:

Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3: 53 PM
To: [email protected])
Hi there,

Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind email. If you are still interested I agree to rent it to you. I promise you that you will love the place. You seem to be a nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems. I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.
Obviously you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details because you cannot rent an apartment that you haven't seen. I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.
The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Fenmead Escrow Account to make sure that we can trust each other.
Using Fenmead escrow account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Fenmead as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct of the transaction. Please click on the link to the Fenmead website where you can find the procedure explained : http://www.fenmead-ltd.com/howitworks.html

Here is the procedure explained :

The Escrow Account Fenmead works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Fenmead. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee ( 735 + 735 = 1.470 SG$ ), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
The delivery will be by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Fenmead at your home.
To initiate the process, I need the following information about you:
-Shipping Address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and name of recipient;
-Delivery Schedule (local time you'll be at home to receive the package and sign the receipt);
-Phone number;
You don't need to open an account with Fenmead because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
Then Fenmead sends you the keys and the contract already filled with your details; You will have 14 days to inspect apartment since the arrival date; If you want to keep the apartment, they give me the money, and we go on from there; If you do not keep the apartment, you send the keys/contract back to Fenmead and you get your money back.
This will be in writing in the Fenmead contract I will sign.
The Fenmead fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you pay the deposit.
If you agree to move forward I can send you a copy of the rental contract in blank.
I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Fenmead rental transaction.
Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Alena

Now, I found it a bit fishy. So I check on the internet about this Fenmead company, then this forum come out. And also, I found this website:
http://www.nfopp-regulation.co.uk/compl ... fraud.aspx
(below you will find this:)
Current and previous websites brought to our attention, that we have reported to Action Fraud:
http://www.fenmead-ltd.com - June 2015

Lucky that I found this forum. Thank you guys for sharing your story. Hope this will help others too. Pls be very sure before you transfer any money....
#257550 by Likkenoz Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:11 pm
Another one: Kotyzova Jana
[email protected]
Her (or his) ads are on www.ibilik.sg, https://it.bedycasa.com/ and www.easyroommate.com.sg/

Hello,

My name is Kotyzova Jana and I just got an e-mail regarding your interest in my apartment in 31 Alexandra Road, District 03, ( Building Alessandrea ), 159967 Singapore.
I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment, because my company has won an auction for a big construction project in Liverpool, United Kingdom and now I am here. I'm a project manager in civil engineering, so my accommodation period here will be very large (more than 4 years). I bought this flat when I worked in Singapore as part of a 4 year contract, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent. I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there.
I prefer to rent my flat cheaper and but to a nice and responsible person, so I would like to know more details about yourself : How old are you, if you are married, if you have a pet, if you have a car, occupation etc.. I must say that I have nothing against the fact if you're a student and I love pets and they are welcome in the apartment. You should also know that I appreciate the sincerity.
In addition to the rest, here is some information about myself and about the apartment, so we knew a little more.
The apartment is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished, fully equipped, so you won't need anything to move in (you can also bring your own things furniture if you have).
The monthly rent for the ENTIRE flat is 795 SG$ including utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable, one parking space). You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of three months.
About myself, I am 47 years old, single woman, and as mentioned above I am a project manager in civil engineering, currently living in Liverpool, United Kingdom. You can move into the apartment the same day you receive the keys. I'm in Liverpool, but I already though at a solution so you can get the keys and visit the apartment to make an impression.
I appreciate your interest in my apartment and I'm looking forward to our future collaboration and friendship.

Sincerely,
Jana

Click the link for pictures: http://share.pho.to/9Tf95

And:

Hi there,

Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind email. If you are still interested I agree to rent it to you. I promise you that you will love the place. You seem to be a nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems. I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.
Obviously you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details because you cannot rent an apartment that you haven't seen. I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.
The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Echoflow Escrow Account to make sure that we can trust each other.
Using Echoflow escrow account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Echoflow as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct of the transaction. Please click on the link to the Echoflow website where you can find the procedure explained : http://www.echoflow.net//howitworks.html

Here is the procedure explained :

The Escrow Account Echoflow works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Echoflow. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee ( 795 + 795 = 1.590 SG$ ), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
The delivery will be by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Echoflow at your home.
To initiate the process, I need the following information about you:
-Shipping Address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and name of recipient;
-Delivery Schedule (local time you'll be at home to receive the package and sign the receipt);
-Phone number;
You don't need to open an account with Echoflow because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
Then Echoflow sends you the keys and the contract already filled with your details; You will have 14 days to inspect apartment since the arrival date; If you want to keep the apartment, they give me the money, and we go on from there; If you do not keep the apartment, you send the keys/contract back to Echoflow and you get your money back.
This will be in writing in the Echoflow contract I will sign.
The Echoflow fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you pay the deposit.
If you agree to move forward I can send you a copy of the rental contract in blank.
I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Echoflow rental transaction.
Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Jana

BE AWARE
#266864 by bubsbubsoohlala Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:57 am
BEWARE!! KATHERINA RADEVA (POSSIBLE RENTAL SCAM)

On 8 Sep 2015, at 4:40 am, Katherina Radeva <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for your interest.
My name is Katherina Radeva and I have available this apartment.
The apartment consists: 2 large Bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom with shower and toilet and storage room.I am looking for someone to live in it, as soon as possible, because i recently divorced and I moved back to my country in London,United Kingdom. I am currently located in London.The renting period is from 3 months up to 5 years.
The rent for 1 month-$500 and deposit-$500 including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator).
You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys.
The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys,but I hope that we will find a solution.Obviously I need a safe way to complete this deal.I can send you the keys.
And solution is provided by a International shipping company DHL United Kingdom.
I will be waiting for your email.
Thank you.

On 8 Sep 2015, at 2:21 pm, Katherina Radeva <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi (my name),

Yes.Monthly rental is $500 with utilities all included.The the room air-conditioned.
You send money to DHL,no me.I will need to know your full shipping address.I will go to the DHL Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.DHL will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.DHL will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.At this point you will have to make a money transfer deposit on the DHL agent name assigned with this transaction for the amount we agreed. ( $500 + $500 = $1.000 ).After you make the deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to DHL (Reference Number, sender's name and address) DHL will verify the payment information and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .After you receive the keys, You will go and check the apt,for 3 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not, if everything is OK you will instruct DHL to release the money to me.

Thank you.

I kept asking about the address but she didn't gave me the address until I insisted my parents wanted the address. This is what she/he replied:

On 8 Sep 2015, at 5:28 pm, Katherina Radeva <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi (my name),
Ok.
Address : 38 Chay Yan St,Singapore.
Send me please your full shipping address.
Thank you.

Something felt amiss and I thus start researching and realised that this is possibly a scam.

Hopefully nobody falls prey to this scam!!