If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!

#4245 by Super Girl Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:57 pm
I too am trying to sell my house and am contacted daily by scammers. Either on the phone or per e-mail. Non of them have made it here to look at the house though. I don't know what I would do if one of them showed up on my doorstep.

That's the first rule when selling privately, if they don't or can't see the house they aren't serious. No one would buy a house without looking at it first.

Also got lots of calls from investors. But they were too busy to come see the house. We were to meet them in another city to close the deal. We drove to a meeting as it was close by as we were curious to know what they wanted.

Turned out they would give us lots more Swiss Francs-cash- than the house is worth and we would then give them the difference in Euros. Money laundering and who knows if the cash is real. Banks question every larger sum of money deposited these days as laundering is so rampant in Europe at the moment.

Would be too bad to go to jail because you were just trying to sell your house. Hands off these deals.

I followed up one buyer who said he was coming to buy the house. I knew he wasn't really coming though so I played along. Just before he was suppose to arrive he got caught in immigration and needed some money to pay some import duties on African artifacts he was carrying. Such BS. You can read the whole funny story on 419 Eater under House Purchaser gets caught in customs and needs $$$$$. Its under the publish your work here category.

What bothers me in all of this is my name and address are out there. That would be one reason to use a realestate agent I guess. Good luck with your house sale, and keep your fingers crossed for me too.

Super Girl - Smarter than a lying scammer
Advertisement

#4247 by Ralph Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm
Thanks for posting Supergirl and welcome to Scamwarners.

To save others the trouble Here is a link to your story

I presume you have been told about and are practicing safe baiitng :wink:

#4252 by Super Girl Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:56 am
Actually, a couple of the platforms where people can list their properties for sale privately have their own forums for sellers to share their experiences. They warn of all types of scams and gave guidelines on what to do or not to do. It was great to know from the beginning what would be coming before I even got my first mail.

The biggest problem with this type of business is you are trying to sell a very big ticket item by yourself. The idea of it selling quickly and people wanting to buy for investment reasons, cash deals, etc... are just too tempting. I guess that's why alot of people get taken in buy these lads.

Super Girl - Smarter than a lying scammer