If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
Advertisement

#174080 by richard.hussain Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:04 pm
So this person texted me from 5418617668, Calls himself/herself Stacey asking me to send him pictures of the car to [email protected]. It sounded odd but I sent those pics anyways and then I got an email in response to that as follows:
Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be
disappointed if i buy this Vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as
I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm
an Oceanographer and i am presently on a contract which will end in
couple of months,the contract is strictly no call due to the lack of
reception on the sea area,but I'm able to access my mail through my
laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal,its safe fast and
secure and i will be responsible for the pay pal transaction charges
so you can get your expected amount.If you don't have an account with
paypal,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to www.paypal.com and
Dad's birthday is fast approaching,am sure he will love this
vehicle,his a mechanic and a handy man,so if there is anything that
need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it.I have a
mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your
account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear
from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your last asking price:
Your Zip code for pickup:

Thanks.

Stacey.

When I ask this person Stacey or Stracey who is apparently an Oceanographer, whose TXT works and able to send an email to get on Skype I was told that he/she cannot due to the location and lack of reception.

Please be aware of this scammer..........
#176232 by cashenbrener Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 pm
Paul Wayman (or whomever is using that name) is still at it. I got the same text message from 214-462-7464 asking if I still had the car. During the ensuing email conversation I said it sounded fishy to me. I need to add that 'Paul Wayman' is using a Hotmail address, which is a bit of a red flag in and of itself.

No response to that provocation. He's much more interested in the transaction than in the object being sold. I emailed him a link to this site.
#183105 by Kaldore Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:34 pm
Just got an email from Don Cox ([email protected]) to buy a car I am selling on the internet and I thought it look suspicious so I google it on the internet and found this sit that confirmed my suspicions. Here is the text of the letter:

Thanks for the swift response and do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give it away as i am buying this for Dad and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal) here.I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that.
You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, that was why i sent you a text, i even wonder how my message deliver to your phone but for now we can only communicate through the same mailing channel.await your reply asap.

Thanks
#183357 by senenami Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:34 pm
Email I'm been contacted: [email protected]
Phone Number: (774)999-7785 (He dealt all the communications through text, pretending to be a marine officer. Again? :-)

Below is the complete mail.

Dear [email protected],

You have an Auction Payment of $10,000.00 USD from Marvin Jackson ([email protected]).

View the details of this transaction below:

Payment Details

Purchased From: senenami
Transaction ID:2BS316424Y2688534

Item # Item Title
Quantity Price Subtotal
261346854476 xxxx Toyota RAV4

$10,000.00 USD
$10,000.00 USD

Shipping & Handling:
(includes any seller handling fees)
Bank Transfer Charge(varies)
$2,000.00 USD

$150.00 USD
Shipping Insurance (optional): --

Total: $10,000.00 USD

This is to inform you that you are required to send $2,000.00 USD to the address below via Bank Deposit and get back to us with the relevant information which you will be provided with after the money has been sent, you are requested to email us the Scanned Receipt, used to make the transfer. As soon as we have received these information from you, we will credit the sum of $10,000.00 USD to your PayPal account.

Below is the Bank details you will be depositing the money to.

Agent's Bank Info:
Name: Adediran Ifelaja Beatrice
Account Number: 375012412832
Bank Name: Bank Of America

Address Status: Confirmed

Please note:
We wish to inform you that Marvin Jackson has made the payment and the payment has been placed on " HOLD" not until you have send the "pick up fee" meant for the shipment and sent us the Deposit Receipt of the Bank Transfer form given to you at the Bank after you might have sent the said amount.Be rest assured that your fund is safe with us.This is a new policy by PayPal to protect both the buyer and seller against online fraudulent activity and for the shipper to proceed in picking up the buyer's purchase.PayPal supervise the sale of cars,auto parts,boats and bikes on eBay Autos and Craigslist. Through this new policy sellers and buyers are rest assured of minimal fraudulent activities of transactions ranging above $500.00 USD.Once the money has been sent and you have sent us the Bank Receipt our system will verify it and once it is valid a total sum of $10,000.00 USD will be released into your account immediately and the Bank Receipt forwarded to the buyer's verified shipper for them to pick it up and proceed with the shipment.You are advised not to transfer the possession of your item to the buyer or third party not until you have received cleared funds.Cleared funds means once money have cleared from your PayPal account into your bank account or Credit/Debit Card depending on your PayPal payment option.A notification email will be sent to your PayPal registered email account and you can withdraw funds by logging into your PayPal account and clicking on the "Withdraw" tab in the account overview section.

This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited into your account until the Bank Receipt is sent to us for verification at our customer care [email protected] or call our customer care at +1 802-328-6925, so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the relevant information required before your account will be credited:

All you have to do is to reply directly to this mail with the Bank Receipt provided at the Bank to you. Once the details has been sent to us and verified,you will receive a "CONFIRMATION E-mail" from Pay Pal® Service informing you that your account has been credited with $10,000.00 USD. The Transaction will appear in your PayPal account Overview as Marvin Jackson after the Bank Receipt have been verified.

Please,understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect both the Buyer and the Seller.We apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.You are 100% protected with the PayPal Seller Protection.visit
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... Marketing/ securitycenter/sell/SellerProtection-outside for more information.

PayPal would be responsible for any loss incurred during the course of this transaction.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Thank you for using PayPal.

PayPal Team
Last edited by senenami on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#183358 by senenami Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:35 pm
Email I'm been contacted: [email protected]
Phone Number: (774)999-7785 (He dealt all the communications through text, pretending to be a marine officer. Again? :-)

Below is the complete mail.

Dear [email protected],

You have an Auction Payment of $10,000.00 USD from Marvin Jackson ([email protected]).

View the details of this transaction below:

Payment Details

Purchased From: senenami
Transaction ID:2BS316424Y2688534

Item # Item Title
Quantity Price Subtotal
261346854476 xxxx Toyota RAV4

$10,000.00 USD
$10,000.00 USD

Shipping & Handling:
(includes any seller handling fees)
Bank Transfer Charge(varies)
$2,000.00 USD

$150.00 USD
Shipping Insurance (optional): --

Total: $10,000.00 USD

This is to inform you that you are required to send $2,000.00 USD to the address below via Bank Deposit and get back to us with the relevant information which you will be provided with after the money has been sent, you are requested to email us the Scanned Receipt, used to make the transfer. As soon as we have received these information from you, we will credit the sum of $10,000.00 USD to your PayPal account.

Below is the Bank details you will be depositing the money to.

Agent's Bank Info:
Name: Adediran Ifelaja Beatrice
Account Number: 375012412832
Bank Name: Bank Of America

Address Status: Confirmed

Please note:
We wish to inform you that Marvin Jackson has made the payment and the payment has been placed on " HOLD" not until you have send the "pick up fee" meant for the shipment and sent us the Deposit Receipt of the Bank Transfer form given to you at the Bank after you might have sent the said amount.Be rest assured that your fund is safe with us.This is a new policy by PayPal to protect both the buyer and seller against online fraudulent activity and for the shipper to proceed in picking up the buyer's purchase.PayPal supervise the sale of cars,auto parts,boats and bikes on eBay Autos and Craigslist. Through this new policy sellers and buyers are rest assured of minimal fraudulent activities of transactions ranging above $500.00 USD.Once the money has been sent and you have sent us the Bank Receipt our system will verify it and once it is valid a total sum of $10,000.00 USD will be released into your account immediately and the Bank Receipt forwarded to the buyer's verified shipper for them to pick it up and proceed with the shipment.You are advised not to transfer the possession of your item to the buyer or third party not until you have received cleared funds.Cleared funds means once money have cleared from your PayPal account into your bank account or Credit/Debit Card depending on your PayPal payment option.A notification email will be sent to your PayPal registered email account and you can withdraw funds by logging into your PayPal account and clicking on the "Withdraw" tab in the account overview section.

This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited into your account until the Bank Receipt is sent to us for verification at our customer care [email protected] or call our customer care at +1 802-328-6925, so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the relevant information required before your account will be credited:

All you have to do is to reply directly to this mail with the Bank Receipt provided at the Bank to you. Once the details has been sent to us and verified,you will receive a "CONFIRMATION E-mail" from Pay Pal® Service informing you that your account has been credited with $10,000.00 USD. The Transaction will appear in your PayPal account Overview as Marvin Jackson after the Bank Receipt have been verified.

Please,understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect both the Buyer and the Seller.We apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.You are 100% protected with the PayPal Seller Protection.visit
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... Marketing/ securitycenter/sell/SellerProtection-outside for more information.

PayPal would be responsible for any loss incurred during the course of this transaction.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Thank you for using PayPal.

PayPal Team
#185525 by soulsurfer73 Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:12 am
Same scam , different country . Main e-mail after initial contact . Scammer using [email protected] email address

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal Full name and email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks
#190716 by megz123 Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:49 pm
I was selling my car on a website and a guy going by Darren Gerald and Tony Donald wanted me to pay upfront 1100 dollars for a shipping agent and told me that PayPal would then reimburse me he lied and said that PayPal took the shipping money from his paypal account and can not reimburse him i called paypal and they told me it was a scam. He said he was an oceanographer at sea and was buying a car as a surprise for his dad. He even had 2 fake emails sent to me claiming to be the real paypal they came from [email protected] and [email protected] saying they were the president of paypal and I had 24 hours to come up with the western union money transfer because they were investigating me. His email is [email protected] and the "shipper" I was to send the money to is kahlid taay in san diego california. I'm so happy I didn't fall for it so please be careful and never send money I'm glad I didn'
#193556 by pameladenise Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:46 pm
I am a ngle mom and posted my daughter car on Autotrader.com and immediately got 2 exact text messages from 2 apparent scammers that sounded just like the ones listing in this post...the scammers emails were

[email protected]

[email protected]

They are scammers and I would not deal with anyone offering to purchase your car without seeing it and acting like urgent also.
#194798 by spoofproof Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 pm
I've had several really nice vintage vehicles listed in the past month and sadly, among the really cool people who have contact me to discuss them, I'd say 1/2 have been "scammers". Once you get used to it, it's really quite obvious right from the get go. Btw.. Marvin Jackson wrote to me as well... Here is his IP address and where he's from: IP Address : 197.210.238.0
Address type : IPv4
ISP : African Network Information Center - (AfriNIC Ltd)
Timezone : Indian/Mauritius (UTC+5)
State / Region : Black River
City : Tamarin
Coordinates : -20.3484, 57.5522

I thought you might appreciate this:
A few days ago I was contacted by a creep calling him/herself marian (***ma**rionvill**[email protected])
Typical story...wants to buy the bike for his dad... is military guy training recruits so can't get to the phone, my asking price is reasonable etc etc... While I'm reading his b.s email I'm looking at his profile picture (a very white gentleman in Military Dress uniform). Even though I know it's a scam, I take the profile picture, copy it and enlarge it and lo & behold it's a four star general. I write to the scammer with a fake pay pal address just for kicks and I receive the same email as someone else listed above with the crap about Western Unioning the shipping agent money so my funds can be released.. The grammar and spelling isn't even correct in the faux pal email and the return email isn't a pay pal email address. Who falls for this stuff??? It doesn't take long for me to find the name of this General as there are only a hand full of them and long story short, I actually reach him via email. He actually writes back and thanks me and tells me that he and his people are "very concerned with the misappropriation of his profile". I doubt it's worth their time, but I've had visions of the US Military Police storming into one of those back room internet sweat shops where those guys sit all day and night trying to steal money from unsuspecting Americans, and grabbing our creepy internet scammer. Wouldn't that be great ? Also, I think Western Union should be shut down in the US. There are enough ways for normal people to send money to friends or family in a pinch or to pay bills on line. Western Union is only good for crooks and undocumented aliens sending tax free US Dollars into other countries.
#194799 by Bryon Williams Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:32 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners spoofproof,

What is the email addresses of the scammers. By posting the email address it will help others avoid this scammer if they search the internet using the email address. Also post their emails to you. Please remove any of your personal information from them.

I would also like to disagree with your views on Western Union and the people who use their services..

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#209364 by littlebitlit Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 am
[email protected]

This is the email address from somebody who contacted me through Ebay. I noticed his spelling and grammar were off and that he seemed far too eager to buy my car without viewing or haggling. Cue alarm bells. After sending an email via Ebay asking me what the minimum price is that I'm willing to accept for my car, he asked if I could respond via email instead of using Ebay as communication. When I replied to him, he sent me this:

Thanks for your swift response,I'd like to know the rock bottom price you willing to take and i will be paying by PayPal as it is attached to my bank account more so its safe and secure way to make payment on eBay. I hope you accept my payment method? If you do,can you just send me the email you associated with your paypal account (Paypal ID) in order to make the payment now, about the collection; have got a private courier that will come for the collection as soon as you confirm the payment via paypal so no shipping included and if you dont have a paypal account, you can easily go to http://www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy. I await your reply asap.

When I said it was cash only, he didn't respond.
#209371 by vonpaso xlura Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 am
Thanks for posting! The scammer is African, not Bulgarian.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#218244 by javi14 Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:50 pm
Guys please watch out for this scam, I posted in a local website to sell my car and within less than an hour a "person" named "Tom Paul" with phone number :1 (682) 727 - 9508 texted me saying he was interested in the car but he was a marine engineer and he was at sea right now so he needed the transaction to be made by PayPal. After about 15 minutes he sent me the following email which is obviously a scam:

Dear Jav (altered ~Bubbles),

Regarding your Transaction with Tom Paul you are require to go to a western union office or a grocery store and send the shipper fee of $1,800.00 USD to the shipping agent address and get back to us with the details you get from them for verification before we can activate your account.You are required to send the Western Union information

Below is the Confirmed & Verified Agent's address where you are mandated to send the money:

Agent Name : David Ajibola

Address: Sabo Shipping

City: Ogbomosho

State: Oyo

Zipcode: 23402

You are required to send to us the Western Union Information Stated Below for Verification:

(1) Sender's Name;
(2) Receiver's Name;
(3) MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number);
(4) Amount Sent;
(5) Western Union Receipt.

So you should go ahead and send the pickup fee and we shall be expecting to receive the Western Union Information from you as soon as possible. You can contact us if you have any question(s).

Note: Your account will be credited immediately we receive the western union details from you.

Sincerely,

The PayPal Team.

You may contact PayPal customer service by Clicking Here or reply directly to this email by using the
reply button in your e-Mail Box and Quote the Above Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction.

Copyright © 2014 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved.

**Please share and let us stop this kind of stuff happening to good people on a daily basis!!!
Last edited by Bubbles on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity. Altered identifying information.