If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#137320 by Risen Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:28 am
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know about this scam. Didn't fall for it, luckily, and I'm posting it here so that you guys won't either:

Honestly i am buying this for my Dad and he is a mechanic, but the issue is I'm a marine biologist and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Cheers.

Hi Xxxx
I was about to made the payment when i had a little problem with the mover they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time when they receive their money for the pick up via Western Union Money transfer in there head office in Williston, Florida. So i included $1,550 for their pick up fee and $200 for the Western Union charges to the payment i sent to your paypal account and PayPal will instruct you on how to get the money sent to my mover. The payment has been made and the money has been deducted from my account...Kindly get the shipping fee sent to the name and address below and send the details to paypal account customer care for your total funds to be credited. I believe that since payment has been made, the advert should be taken off the site and please do let me know the location's address including your free date and time so that i can give it to my mover to use it to register the date and time they will be coming for the pick up in your location. PS: If you Didn't receive the paypal payment receipt in your email? kindly check your email spam/junk folder because that was where i found my receipt.

Transporter's Details:

Receiver's Name: Catheese M. Harvey
Address: 2031 NE 208 Terrace Williston, Florida. 32696. USA.

Cheers.

Hello Xxxxx,

Thank you for using PayPal. We are writing back to you regarding the transaction between you and our verified customer Kate Walker. The buyer has made the payment and it has been received by us.You are to go ahead and send the shipping fee to her mover via Western Union Money Transfer upfront and get back to us with the Western Union Transfer Receipt before we can have your total funds available for withdrawal in your account. This is done to protect both the buyer and the seller and our financial company from any fraudulent act. Because any funds lost in the transaction will be refunded by PayPal. The 10 Digits # is on the Western Union Transfer Receipt that will be given to you at the Western Union outlet.Therefore, our security department and our user protection policy advise that you are to wire the shipping agent fee for verification so that we can be sure that both you and your buyer are very safe. Your funds will be released into your account immediately after we verify that you have transferred the shipment fee to the buyer's transporter's details given to you in our payment notification receipt sent to you earlier.

Note:As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiries and necessary information should be sent to us by directly replying to this message, because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section,and all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address as it is the one monitored for your transaction.

Note: If you have never done a Western Union transfer before, here is the step way of sending the money to the bearer below:

1. Go to any Wal-mart or Bloom Store store close to your home.
2. Ask for a Western Union Money transfer form.
3. Fill the Western Union form with your Name and Address as the sender of the funds.
4. Fill your buyer's Transporter's name and Address as the receiver of the funds.
5. Tender the cash and you will be issued a receipt after the money has been sent.
6. Attach and email to PayPal a scanned copy of the receipt.
7. Money Must Be Sent as Money In Minute.

If you don't have a scanner, You can email PayPal with the following details written on the receipt:

1.MTCN Number(which is the 10 digits number)
2. Sender's full name and address.

Transporter's Details:

Receiver's Name: Catheese M. Harvey
Address: 2031 NE 208 Terrace Williston, Florida. 32696. USA.

Amount Deposited:

Selling Price: $3,800.00 USD
Western Union Charges:
Transporter's Amount:
Total Money Deposited:
$200.00 USD
$1,550.00 USD
$5,550.00 USD

Payment Status: Confirmed

Fund Status:

Available

Sincerely,
PayPal

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

If you don’t want to be notified when someone sends you money, you can edit your preferences by logging in to your PayPal account, going to your Profile, and clicking “Notifications”.
Copyright © 1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Customer advisory- PayPal Pte. Ltd., the holder of PayPal’s stored value
facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority.
Users are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully.

PayPal Email ID PP1525
Advertisement

#139812 by kanenoss Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:49 am
Hi yup I had a car on a auction site in new zealand and had this guy named david morgan who is a soposed engineer on a rig in burmuda who wants to buy the car for his dad has offerd me 3200.00 but has to pay by paypaL his agent will do pic up and all I need to do is start a paypaL email account and he will help me sort that out(Ye right numnuts lol) so I checked the name on google and found this site with people with the same scam so be wearry :twisted: But I beat him the nob
#139945 by Bubbles Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:11 am
Welcome to ScamWarners kanenoss, please post the email address of this scammer. We are pleased that what is posted here was helpful to you.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#140046 by paulotyko Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:50 pm
Hi i'm sure this is a scam, gut texted me asking price of car but wanted answer by email, says he wants to buy car by paypal as a xmas present for his son as hes a marine engineer and has limited/restricted internet and telephone access etc due to the nature of his work, says he'll get an agent to pick it up :lol: I was suspicious from the start but almost entertained it! here are his details murray smith 07024093843 [email protected]
#145829 by Notmeatall Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 pm
Here's another one:
I asked for a pic of her University ID in email - then came here to check out my suspicion and ended up sending "her" a few examples of the same scam posted here. Watch folks.

Firstly,I want to thank you for getting back to me.Please can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this Vehicle for my husband and can you also send me additional pictures of the interior of the vehicle because I wont be able to test drive and inspect the vehicle.I will have to rely on the pictures you will send to me.I'm ready to pay your asking price but not in cash because I'm an Oceanographer and i am presently on a project contract which will end in a couple of months.I can't even make calls due to the lack of reception on the sea but I'm able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal.PayPal is safe,fast and secure I can testify to that because I have being using PayPal for some years now.I will also be responsible for thePayPal transaction charges so you can include that with your selling price and get back to me with the total price.If you don't have an account with PayPal just log on to http://www.paypal.com/ and sign up a newPayPal account.My pickup agent will handle the title for me and every other documentation after I have made payment to your PayPal account.I look forward to reading from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks.

Jennifer
#145833 by TerranceBoyce Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:53 pm
Oceanography = scientists, and not one with skype ?

Scammer IQ zero.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#145846 by vonpaso xlura Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 pm
No scientist whose first language is any European language would write as this "oceanographer" does. The writing is that of a West African.

Please don't send scammers examples of other scams or point them to this site. Leave them in the dark about why you stopped answering them.

If 07024093843 is in England, it isn't. Phone numbers beginning with +44-70 are redirects and are commonly used by scammers.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#149300 by Mkoellner Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:33 pm
Here is a new one and he doesn't let go even so I told him I know he's a scam er shit -
I have just made the payments now and i expect paypal to have emailed
by now, check your email (inbox or junk folder) if you have been
messaged yet, i sent $14,200 in all, paypal said they would be
holding the funds because of the excess payments of $1500 added meant
for pick up of the Vehicle and due to the fact that i emailed them about
the excess payment i made, until they get the western union
information from you,the vehicle is being delivered in my house, i will
need you to send the $1500 to my pick up agent Headquarters via western
union money transfer(this can be done from the post office, as they
usually have a western union agent there) , i added extra $200 to
cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more that $100-
$200 but just to be sure i added $200, Here is my pick up agent
Headquarter info needed to get the money sent through western union
money transfer:

First Name: Melissa
Surname: Votaw
Address: 15931 ky hwy 1247
City: waynesburg
State: Kentucky
Zip-Code: 40489

Please kindly email the necessary details to paypal : The mtcn which
you will be given at the western union after the $1500 has been sent as
well as the sender's name and address used to send the money through
western union used in sending the $1500 so i can forward it to paypal
or better still you can email it to paypal directly,that is fine with
me as well for the money i sent to be credited into your account after
they might have received the information they needed to release the
whole money in your account. I will need your address where the Vehicle
will be picked up,and my pickup agent will contact you after they have
received the payments in order to book a time for the pick up to be done.

Cheers
Charles
#149320 by TerranceBoyce Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 pm
DOHHHHHHH - didn't he think to send the money by paypal to the collection agent like he did to you, who you could always pay when he turns up at your door anyway, but don't bother as you'd have a long wait.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#164282 by illimey Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm
I advertised private sale car on Autotrader. Almost immediately after it went live I received a text from

214 612 3977

"Do you still have the vehicle listed on AutoTrader? If yes kindly email me at [email protected] for further communication. I'lllook forward to hearing from you" [sic]

Red flag already, but I emailed because I like adventure. This was the reply:

"Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have the extra keys? Do you have the spare tire? Where did you get your car serviced? Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log on to http://www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for someone and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man. so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks."

A very, very, very BIG, BRIGHT red flag. Never sold a car privately before, but have no intention of falling for scams so searched and arrived at this thread. Don't think I'll be playing this game, other than reporting this scam attempt to Autotrader & Paypal.

Notes: The email I received said it was from Paul Wayman. When the mouse is paused over the name for full details it is in fact reported as being Paulette Wayman. Full headers look legit so I guess Ms. Wayman had her account hacked by someone who doesn't want to pose as a female and thought that Paul would be a good name to choose. The phone number the text was sent from seems to be a cell phone account from Red Oak, TX. But who knows - I'm no expert on tracking. Hope this helps others avoid being scammed.
#164295 by vonpaso xlura Fri May 03, 2013 5:05 pm
There's no need to report it to PayPal, as the scammer doesn't use PayPal. He sends a fake email that looks like it comes from PayPal, saying that PayPal is holding the money (which will be more than what you ask for) until you send the mover (who is a character played by the scammer) his cut by Western Union. PayPal does no such thing.

#164320 by illimey Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm
vonpaso xlura wrote:There's no need to report it to PayPal, as the scammer doesn't use PayPal. He sends a fake email that looks like it comes from PayPal, saying that PayPal is holding the money (which will be more than what you ask for) until you send the mover (who is a character played by the scammer) his cut by Western Union. PayPal does no such thing.

Oh. Well good luck to him. Does anyone actually fall for such a thing? I think everyone in the world has received about 37.63 million fake Paypal emails by now, and if someone can't tell...
#164324 by Bryon Williams Fri May 03, 2013 9:19 pm
Yes, people have fallen to the scam. If it did not work scammers would not use it.

Not everyone deals with Paypal on a daily basis.

Most scammers ask the victim to set up a Paypal account. These victims have never used Paypal before.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#167065 by juber Mon May 27, 2013 8:17 pm
Pretty much the same story here. Got 7200 ffered by [email protected] for a car when my price was much lower. same old same old: he's a marine in Spain and cannot access his bank account, he insists on paying through paypal and me paying his shipping agent 800 for picking up the car, once he has sent me a (fake) confirmation payment email on my paypal account.

I checked all the info he gave me, and I tracked his IP address with http://www.ip-adress.com/trace_email/ I got an address in california, more specifically this one:
Email Sender: [email protected]
IP address: 209.85.217.194
IP address country: United States
IP address state: California
IP address city: Mountain View
IP postcode: 94043
IP address latitude: 37.4192
IP address longitude: -122.0574
ISP of this IP: Google
Organization: Google

he says he's in Spain and his family in Florida. I say that is complete BS.

Just a few tips I learned from this experience:
(Please share if you think they are helpful, let's put a stop to this kind of dirtbags who wanna take advantage of honest buyers and sellers)

-Paypal does not require any agent to supervise the transaction nor anything like that.
-When buying/seelling through ebay/online, always make sure you know who the buyer is: ask for official ID (passport, driver's license, etc. have them scann the document and send it to you; most scammers are really bad in photoshop and you should easily spot a fake ID: letter fonts dont match throughout document, signature is different in several documents. Photo is usually pulled off the internet, a quick google image search should yield results of the image being taken fomr the internet.)
-Buyer is always in some remote location, different from where he is supposed to be living in.
-Buyer insists on buying something that from a normal person's point of view makes no sense: an American girl buying a rare small boat from a guy in Finland (the boat is too small to navigate the Atlantic ocean); an American deployed soldier in Spain buying a car from a guy in Mexico (cars from Mexico cannot be imported to the US); an oil engineer in the Pacific ocean buying a motorcycle from a guy in NY (shipping costs will more than triple the costs of an equal, brand-new bike bought at a retailer).
-Buyer is always more concerned in the payment process than in the object itself.
-Buyer is overly eager to buy the item, even if he has not seen it/received much info on the condition of the object.
-Buyer never, or rarely and just a few times, asks for the condition of the object.
-Buyer is reluctant to offer info that can be checked: passport, driver's license, Army dog-tag #, etc.
-Alway remember, if someone is offering you money very eagerly, it's usually a scam; if something's too good to be true, usually, it is a scam.
Please be wary of these indicators as they might help you spot a scammer and save you from a pointless, needless discussion with these people. Report their email addresses to paypal/google and block them immediatly.

hope you never get tangled in one of these scams as it is not a pretty experience
#167070 by vonpaso xlura Tue May 28, 2013 12:17 am
That IP address belongs to Gmail, which hides the sender's IP address. It's still a scam, of course.