If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#171798 by jebeccabe Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 pm
For what it is worth, I thought I would add my scam to the Randy Stenberg list!

My son listed a 96 Cavalier on Bismanonline for $1500, hoping he got at least $1000! Two days after listing the car he gets an offer for the asking price, sight unseen. Great cover story - former AF, moved from the area (we're near an AFB) to Maryland, needs the car for parts (parts are very universal for Cavaliers), would have someone pick it up for him. Really, it seemed like a good deal. He wanted to pay via PayPal due to the distance. I have worked with PayPal for years and I figure it's no big deal. If the payment doesn't clear PayPal no harm, no foul. I received the payment email from PayPal and IMMEDIATELY the red flags are waving!

1) It's not a PayPal email address. It shows [email protected] but the actual email is from [email protected]
2) There are way too many names of people in this transaction. The buyer (Randy Stenberg) the "PayPal representative (Mike Moss) and the transporter (Jordan Steiner in york, PA...remember this guy's in MD!)
3) The amount $2,250 (not the asking price of $1500) is pending. Fine Print: I have to send the $750 for the $2,250 will be released.

Until this point, my son had been doing all of the communication. I told my son to let "Randy" know that he doesn't have the $750 but he's trying to get it. I immediately contacted IC3 and my AG's office.

All of the information I have includes:

Buyer: Randy Stenberg
Contact Number: 443-267-8201
Email: [email protected]

PayPal representative - Mike Moss

Vehicle Transporter: Jordan Steiner

I'm going to string him along as long as he will fall for it so I can get as much information as possible.

PLEASE...everyone out there....if it sounds too good to be true, it is!!
Advertisement

#171800 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 pm
Simple - if you're a seller and the buyer wants you to make a payment in any shape or form - it's a scam.

It's the modern basic version of the Nigerian 419 scam using a spoofed e-mail from Paypal to make you think you've already got the money, but there is no earthly reason why a seller should ever have to make a payment for the buyer.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#172838 by FLHRci01 Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 pm
Thanks for posting this. Same guy contacted me this morning in response to an ad on bismanonline. John from MD, 443-267-8201. Same scam. Sounded fishy so Googled his number and found this. Thanks again
#172841 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners FLHRci01,

Please post the email address the scammer used along with a couple of his initial emails. Scammers tend to use the same script. By posting this information it will others when they search the internet.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#278640 by Cingram2800 Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:17 pm
Same thing happened to me. They immediately wanted to make the sale via paypal and didn't want to know anything about the furniture I was selling. The phone number used was 404 631 6787 and the name was Marilyn. Says he is at the New York military academy located at the rural village of Cornwall-on-hudons 60 miles north of New York City. Which is strange because I am in Florida. The email used was [email protected]. BEWARE
#278642 by HillBilly Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:46 pm
hi and welcome, Cingram2800. Thanks for the information you posted.

while my usual lookup appears to be down with a 500 server error at the moment, the # you posted
appears to have many business names associated with it, they could be old #'s or an answering service for them. Or it could be a faked caller ID sending you bad information.

Phone number:404-631-6787

State: Ga

Carrier: Bellsouth Telecomm Inc - Ga

City: Atlanta

County: Fulton

Phone type: Landline

It doesn't make sense that a landline in GA would claim to be in New York. but other possibilities exist as well

I won't tear any other of his stupidity apart, as we don't want to teach them how to be better scammers. Glad you spotted the scam before you became a victim.

nycmail is a free email address from mail.com and free email addresses should always be treated with great suspicion. Read this article to find out more about them : http://www.scam-email-addresses.tk/