If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#167989 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:01 am
Welcome to Scamwarners scamwatcher101.

I think I can reliably state that when a buyer, or seller, tells you what they do for a living, it's almost inevitable that they're a scammer.

There's a good reason for this, but it's a nice simple rule of thumb to watch out for. Basically the scammer needs to narrow down things you might reasonably expect to do, and they need to provide a plausible explanation as to why it's not possible. By stating their occupation it provides what they believe is an acceptable 'cover story', though they usually then state specifically what they can't do, just to be sure. :D

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#181368 by Pacman Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 am
Today I almost got caught in the same scam as a lot of people as seen here. I am selling a car and this person got interested and asked the final price and conditions of payment. I said that was the end price and I prefer cash. He then replied:

Alleged Name: Michael Seay
email: [email protected]
Answer to my reply of the first email:
"Thanks for mailing back, I'm ok with the price and the condition i work on a rig as a mechanical engineer i would have love to call but We do not have access to phone at the moment that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility,I'm buying it for my vacation
Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,OR you can alternatively send your bsb and account number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply."

I was really confused specially because of using paypal. I already heard before that scammers love this sort of mechanism. I did not send any information due to my umconfortable situation.
Then I replied:
I would prefer cash, but if not possible i can accept bank transfer. What about the your personal details, could you also send me? Thanks.
Could you please also send me your mobile number so i can send you my bank details via Text message?

Then he said:
My agent will be signing all the transfer papers and other necessary papers needed to be signed ok
Thanks and i await your payment details
---- I was sure it was a scam.

After two more emails he kept firm and game the following information of himself:
Address:
95 Creswell St
NT 0810, Australia
License no: 105703
DOB: 06 july 1969

I just don't understand why he wanted my personal bank details so bad. I think he wanted to make a loan on my behalf and steal the money etc. Keep the eyes open!!
#181370 by AlanJones Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 am
Pacman wrote:I just don't understand why he wanted my personal bank details so bad. I think he wanted to make a loan on my behalf and steal the money etc. Keep the eyes open!!

Most likely, he was going to flash your bank account to make it look like you have received the payment. You would then be asked to send a proportion of the money to the "agent" - which you would do, thinking that you had the money from him. After a few days, the payment into your account would be identified as fraudulent and reversed, leaving you out of pocket for the money you sent on.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#183417 by cannylass Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am
There is a lady on gum tree selling golden retriever puppy's and thank god I found her here as a scam before I lost my money She says she is in Darwin and has three puppies for sale and her exact copy of her emails as I found on here which is
Hello David,

Thanks for getting back to me again regarding the male puppy(Bill).
I am Convinced they will be spoiled with the best of love.
While at your home. I am located in Darwin NT. where my husband
was newly posted as a police officer and i am Presently on a Editor of
the World Health Organization (WHO) on the Eradication of
The Malaria Parasite On pregnant Women here in Darwin NT
the pregnant Women here are Suffering with this disease.
Also the apartment we took forbids us from having dogs,
they have given us a couple of weeks to look for a new home,
for the dogs.So we will very much give them out for
Adoption as soon as possible because of the above reasons.
For this reason i don't think distance is going to be a barrier for us to give
to you these cute babies of ours.that is why we have decided to use a delivery
agency to ship the puppies over which will take just about 5-6 hours for the
puppy to be delivered at your door stairs.
All you are requested to pay is $480 for the male puppy
money is to be used for the following;
$200= change of all pet ownership documents
$280= To activate the flight ticket of the puppy
Giving a total of $480 for the puppy ..*
but first the bellow information will be needed in order
to proceed with the registration of the puppies at the agency okay

Full names.........................
Home address...........
City......................
State..................
Post code.............
Phone number..........

Once I am in the position of these addresses I will go right away to the
Shipping company and register the puppy and the shipping company will
Contact you. The $480 for the Delivery fee of ONE puppy
Is to be shipped over to your location. the money will be used to
purchase a flight ticket for the puppy and other Charges including
the change of ownership papers from my
Names to yours. These puppies will also come with three
weeks food to enable them be fed for three weeks without you buying
Food from any pet-store.Hence no extra charge.my Husband and i are just
Asking that you take very good care of them and also that you keep us
Updated with photos of them when at your house...
Waiting to read from you ASAP.
Esperanza
#256784 by stefpef10 Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 am
Exact same thing just happened to me. I just put my car up for sale on gumtree, 20 minutes later I got a text message from a guy called 'Michael'. His name already appeared in my phone when I received the message which was warning bell #1.

All he said was "Hello...is ur car still up for sale? Kindly reply to my person email ([email protected]) with the last price ONO"

I then googled his email to find this forum and caught him out.

Lowlife.