If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#171372 by vonpaso xlura Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 pm
I just got an email saying that my card was declined to pay my phone bill. Yesterday I bought some gasoline with the same card. I pulled up my account and found the following unrecognized transactions:
POS SIGNATURE- VISA ##### VOPIUM S.A LUXEMBOURG
FDR DEBIT CARD VISA DEBIT FOREIGN TRANSACTION F (probably currency conversion for Vopium)
CHECK CARD TRANSACTION- ECHST.NET SEATTLE WA
Several days before that, I bought some books from someone I never bought anything from before. But I also bought gasoline from someone I never bought from before, as I recently got a truck. A few years ago, I got some strange charges from APL*ITUNES shortly after buying some Propeller development boards; that was the first time I ever bought from Parallax. Is there likely a connection between the first time buying from someone and having money stolen from one's card?

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
Advertisement

#171393 by Bryon Williams Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:25 pm
Hi Von,

With the amount of purchases its hard to pin point. You may get a clue on the date of the fraudulent charge vs your last good charge. Also keep in mind "Skimmers" this could have been used if you paid at the pumps.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#171400 by jolly_roger Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:37 am
Hello vonpaso. There are some possible avenues. The first is online purchases or paying online accounts whereby spyware on your computer could be used to obtain your card details. Card skimming is prevalent nowadays where the skimmer looks like part of the ATM and many would not notice the device. Apparently the skimmer device can be easily removed by the perpetrator before any one is the wiser. I don't think the time frame is relevant because your card number could be misused anytime by an untrustworthy type if they obtain the details.
Will send you a Private Message because there is another possibility.
#280392 by AlanJones Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:29 pm
If you suspect that your card is compromised then you need to report it to your bank immediately. Once the spyware is removed you will also need to change all your passwords that could have been revealed by the spyware.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#280418 by TerranceBoyce Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:09 pm
There are lots of ways to skim card information apart from those already mentioned vonpaso xlura.

From comments made by members of the public on this forum the easiest way would be to set up a website selling half price iPods that accepts card payment - rinse and repeat. When buying online, price shouldn't be primary guide as to whom you buy from - security should be. Having said that the list of major retailers that have had their databases hacked recently is frighteningly impressive.

I don't make a lot of online purchases and only from known retailers I trust who don't have a record of getting hacked.

In face to face transactions, even those can be a risk and, never letting go of your card may not always protect you. The risk being of your card making a double pass through the retailer's reader and a card cloner. Restaurants where the staff use handheld card scanners being a particular risk.

I was amazed that stand alone cash dispensers existed in the UK that had external programming sockets. Some of those had been taken over to simply record card details and pin numbers aside from dispensing cash.

Compared with most people I'm paranoid and I use cash for most day to day transactions. I wouldn't say that I'm old-fashioned, I would suggest that perhaps I understand the risks better than most.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#280494 by TerranceBoyce Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:46 pm
Here's an example from the news

http://www.her.ie/life/watch-woman-confronts-starbucks-cashier-at-work-who-admits-to-stealing-her-credit-card-details-nsfw/272927?

It’s hard enough facing January debt without finding out your credit card details have been stolen, but what would you do if you could identify the fraudster?

What I don't understand is why the victim handed their card to the cashier. Most outlets like this in the UK use counter mounted card readers. I've known rare cases when even these have been compromised, but they should be safe to use.

The first thing I think of whenever I use my card is the fraud risk.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#280558 by Tim Atem Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:40 am
Also be wary of people standing around you on their smart phones when you are using your card at counters or ATMs. There was a story some time ago about a person's card being compromised because the person next to them in line took a picture of the victim's debit card when he was using it at the counter. Ever since then I make sure not to hold my card out in the open while I wait for the cashier to ring me up if there's people around me on their phones - call me paranoid but it's freaky how easy it can be to steal card information.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#280577 by HillBilly Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:24 am
to expand on what Tim said, they don't even need a camera anymore if the card has an RFID chip in it. There are "skimmers" that can read RFID information from as far away as 2 or 3 feet and basically steal all the information they need to compromise a card. The only solution for that I am aware of is a metal wallet, or at least some type of RFID blocking material the wallet is made of (typically a woven metal base material).