If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#3371 by webster Thu May 08, 2008 3:45 pm
The first time I was scammed I did not have to put out any money and that made the offer look so good.I received a job offer from a company in china.they would send me a check in the amount of 100,000 US dollars.I would keep 10% of it and wire the rest to a company in Canada so when I got the check I want to the bank and deposited it .Come to find out that the account the scammers used was real of course the bank put a hold on the check and it got denied for lack of funds.got a second check from somebody else this time I called the bank the check was drawn from and found out that it to was a real account but had nothing to do with the company or name on the check .Sorry for the long post I hope this helps out.
Advertisement

#3372 by Ted Baker Thu May 08, 2008 4:53 pm
Hi Webster and welcome.

Thanks for posting your experience here. It could well help convince a future potential victim that they are being scammed.

I hope you did not lose out financially on this scam.

It is a typical Check Mule or Representative scam.

The cheques are very very good, printed on the correct type of paper and as you found out, the account details are correct.

I actually have one in a frame on my wall, where I actually baited the lad.

#3373 by Chris Martins Thu May 08, 2008 7:08 pm
Thanks for posting that. If more people talked about their experiences, fewer people would get scammed.

I find this kind of scam to be particularly vicious. Very often people who fall for these just need a job, and feel safe since they are not putting any money up. By the time it comes tumbling down, they are suddenly many thousands of dollars in debt, and in legal trouble as well.

Many people falsely believe that waiting for the check to clear will protect them. That is exactly what check scammers count on. In the US, and in many other countries, it means nothing when a check clears. Banks are required to give access to funds shortly after they are deposited. Checks can be discovered to be fraudulent many months later when a clearing house, or the originating bank rejects them. When that happens, your bank won't care where the checks came from, or who is guilty of what. They will hold you responsible.

No company would ever need a private citizen to cash checks for them. Even if there were some strange reason they couldn't get a bank account of their own, they could simply ask their customers to wire money directly. Even if there were some imaginable reason they would need an individual to cash checks for them, no company would pay 10% or even .005% of their gross revenue for such a simple service.

Any job that offers a commission for cashing checks is a scam.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke