If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#3500 by StopJasonJones Wed May 28, 2008 11:13 pm
Jason Jones of Patterson, California runs a roadside assistance and mobile mechanic business which services cities throughout California. What he does is he hires new employees over the internet and works them without pay or reimbursement at their expense (often hundreds of dollars each week of their own money towards gas and his business expenses) until he stops returning their calls or the employees quit because they have literally spent all of their savings and are losing everything because he is not paying them - most of the employees live hundreds of miles from Jason Jones and are unable to afford the expenses of going after him civilly and criminally. He has done this to several employees and still continues to elude the law. I was one of Jason's victims and after watching 1 helpless victim after another fall prey to his scams and lose everything in the process I decided to create a support forum for those who have been scammed or victimized by Jason Jones. I encourage anyone that has had this type of experience or those who know of Jason and his activities to join our efforts in bringing Jason Jones to justice - StopJasonJones.com.

Business Names he has operated under:
A Mekanic On Wheels
Master Mobile Mechanics (not the same as the one based in Nevada)
All Star Road Service

Names & Aliases he has been known to use:
Jason Lee Jones (Real name)
David Vance
& he is known to pretend to be a deaf accountant by the name of Lisa Youngblood.

Advertisement

#3503 by Chris Martins Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am
Hi StopJasonJones,

This seems to be a little outside of what we normally do here.

I don't understand your comment that his victims are not able to afford the expense of going after him criminally. There is no cost associated with that. Contact your local law enforcement and file a police report. The police will act on your report. If you encourage other victims to do the same, and if their claims are credible, justice will be done.

Unlike the internet scammers we usually discuss here, this person is not hidden. If he is doing something illegal, it should be a simple matter to deal with it through the usual channels.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#3511 by Bubbles Fri May 30, 2008 12:57 am
As Chris stated, this is beyond what we do here. There are legal remedies for this kind of situation because the alleged scammer is a known entity.

Internet scammers are not known and hide behing the anonymity of the internet to steal from people who live in jurisdictions (legal term) that are away from them.

I have concern that this kind of posting could do harm to the purpose of this site.

I recommend that you seek legal council in your State. You might do well to contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California as repair facilities in CA MUST be registered by them to operate a repair shop.

I also recommend that you use the Private Message feature here to contact a Moderator regarding the appropriateness of this post.

Best to you.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.

#3512 by StopJasonJones Fri May 30, 2008 1:47 am
Thank you for your comments Chris & Bubbles. Maybe I should clarify.

I don't understand your comment that his victims are not able to afford the expense of going after him criminally. There is no cost associated with that.

Going after him civilly to recover what they lost involves many court costs, attorney fees and travel expenses as majority of the people scammed by Jason Jones live hundreds of miles away - this also applies to going after him criminally, time after time when the victims go to their local police department they are told that it is out of their jurisdiction, leaving them the only option of going after him in his home town which anyone knows is quite expensive commuting hundreds of miles and missing countless hours of work to repetitively go to hearing after hearing which many will end up being formal hearings or continuances until the jury trial which can also take a considerable amount of time, even if this happens on a local level, it takes soo much from the victim - especially after having their entire savings depleted, missing alot of work for the hearings can mean the difference between making rent or keeping the lights on or putting food in their family's mouths, this is a concern that has been raised to me more than once.

Contact your local law enforcement and file a police report. The police will act on your report.

One would think this would be an open/shut issue and that the police would quickly act on these illegal actions. Unfortunately, it is not that simple, there is alot of red tape involving getting law enforcement involved. Several of us have attempted to get law enforcement involved and have been turned away being told it is civil issue or it is out of their jurisdiction or that the case must be personally taken to the District Attorney who then refers the complainant back to the police.

If you encourage other victims to do the same, and if their claims are credible, justice will be done.

That is the purpose of the website referenced in this post and the purpose of this post - to get the word out and reach out to other victims and come together as a group - quite possibly to form a class action lawsuit.

Unlike the internet scammers we usually discuss here, this person is not hidden.

This person is very hidden. He uses aliases, almost never meets with the employees in person. It took a great deal of resources and investigating to obtain much of the information that we have on him. Most victims do not know who scammed them when it's all said and done - this lack of information makes it even more difficult for them to obtain justice.

If he is doing something illegal, it should be a simple matter to deal with it through the usual channels.

As was stated above it has not been a simple matter to deal with especially through the usual channels, if it were that simple Jason would be behind bars and people would not continually be falling victim to his scams. Also, there would be no point of establishing the site and using our personal time and resources to pursue Jason and expose what he is doing.

There are legal remedies for this kind of situation because the alleged scammer is a known entity.

As mentioned above, he hides his identity. Most of his scams are carried out behind a computer via the internet and almost never in person and typically when a phone # is given it is a cell phone # registered under a different name.

I recommend that you seek legal council in your State. You might do well to contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California as repair facilities in CA MUST be registered by them to operate a repair shop.

He does not own a shop. Roadside and Mechanical assistance is given remotely/ via mobile means.

Internet scammers are not known and hide behing the anonymity of the internet to steal from people who live in jurisdictions (legal term) that are away from them.

You just described Jason Jones as an internet scammer - please see above.

There is a post that generalizes these particular experiences, difficulties and issues through one victim's experience. Click Here to view it.

#3517 by Chris Martins Fri May 30, 2008 1:55 pm
^^Sounds frustrating. Do any of your local news channels have "shame on you" type segments? They love stuff like that, and usually get quick results. Local newspapers might be a good recourse as well.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#3518 by Bubbles Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm
StopJasonJones

I will point out a difference between the situation you describe and the internet scammers we deal with:

I wrote:Quote:

you wrote:You just described Jason Jones as an internet scammer - please see above.

Yet you give the real name of the alleged scammer and on the link you posted give information that this Jason Jones has been arrested and is KNOWN by the legal system.

The scammers we deal with are not known and are not in the jurisdiction or the laws of the United States of America. That is the distinction I am trying to make.

Does it appear that Jason Jones has scammed people by not doing what he said he would do? It appears to be so.

If you are telling people to be cautious about the people they go into business with, then that is a good thing. Being cautious about any employment or contractual relationship is an important warning.

What we deal with here (primarily) is scammers that INITIATE contact over the internet. This type of scammer does not advertise, they send out thousands of emails per day to try to entrap people into sending money to THEM with the promise of a return to the victim of MILLIONS of dollars.

Are ther unscrupulous "business people" out there in the world? YES! I have been taken by such people too.
Do people make promises that they can't of won't keep? YES!
Is outing business people what we do on this site? IMO, NO.

I found a phone number in San Mateo for the Mekanic name. Does that make them legitimate? NO!
There is no name registered with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). Is is legal to operate without being registered? Apparently NO
Does that keep people from operating outsde the law? NO!

Does justice come eaily or quickly? NO
BAR web site wrote:You should normally feel confident that a repair facility will do the work properly and for a reasonable price. However, when you believe work has not been done properly, or that you have not been treated fairly by an automotive repair dealer, it's important that you have a place to turn to for help. That place is the Bureau of Automotive Repair.
From here.

I can sense your frustration and anger. We here at scamwarners attempt to warn and educate internet users of specific and general scams. To me the moral of the story is: Be very cautious about entering into a business relationship. There is no "easy money" out there in the real or business world. As it says in ScamPatroller's signature line "If is sounds too good to be true, it is not true."

I don't want Scamwarners to be seen to slander anyone and that is the reason you have been advised to seek legal remedies to this situation. It appears to be a legal matter, even though the legal system is cumbersome and slow and frustrating.

I HAVE used the BAR to recover damages in the past. They are responsive and helpful. It does take time to do the right things in life. There are no quick fixes.

Best to you and your situation.

Edited to add: Look here and here.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.

#3521 by StopJasonJones Fri May 30, 2008 7:03 pm
Chris Martins wrote:^^Sounds frustrating. Do any of your local news channels have "shame on you" type segments? They love stuff like that, and usually get quick results. Local newspapers might be a good recourse as well.

We have been considering getting the media involved, as media attention always drives non responsive law enforcement to act over here. However, before we do, we are trying to get together as many victims and information as possible. The third party companies who contract the roadside assistance calls to Jason which are extremely large U.S. companies have been made aware of what Jason has been doing and has been informed that he is operating with a false EIN (Employment Identification Number) and that his business is not registered at a local, state or federal level. Yet, they continue to contract him out - so, we are trying to compile as much information regarding them and how they are continuing to ignore these illegal activities as well so that hopefully they will be brought under investigation and under pressure to no longer employ such moral less tactics that condones and supports individuals like Jason Jones.

#3522 by StopJasonJones Fri May 30, 2008 7:54 pm
Bubbles, I hope that you do not interpret my continual re-assertions of facts and statements as frustrations or anger toward you, I am just trying to clarify some things that you are stating. I understand that you are posting what you have been to ensure that the information and post I have posted here is appropriate for this board.

Yet you give the real name of the alleged scammer and on the link you posted give information that this Jason Jones has been arrested and is KNOWN by the legal system.

Again, The real name and other information was obtained through investigation and other efforts to discover the true identity of Jason Jones. Often the "real name" of alleged scammers are later known after a scam has claimed victims and often the scammer continues to scam individuals. Discovery of information on an alleged scammer by individuals or the legal system does not always stop the scammer in his tracks nor does it make it any less of a scam or prevent the scammer from continuing to hide his anonymity - much like in this particular case.

The scammers we deal with are not known and are not in the jurisdiction or the laws of the United States of America. That is the distinction I am trying to make.

Prior to posting this, I scoured the forum to check on the appropriateness and to make sure it was being placed in the proper category, during that time I did not see any mention of only non-US scams as being the only eligible scams by anonymous individuals only that can be posted, I rechecked most of the stickies and rules on this entire forum and cannot find any reference that indicates that. I should also note that this is listed under "Personal accounts of scams" which is exactly what this is.

If you are telling people to be cautious about the people they go into business with, then that is a good thing. Being cautious about any employment or contractual relationship is an important warning.

Actually, while this post does alert people to Jason's activities, it's primary intention is to reach out to people who have already been scammed by Jason Jones and to point them to the resources for support, legal advice and information that we are making available.

What we deal with here (primarily) is scammers that INITIATE contact over the internet. This type of scammer does not advertise, they send out thousands of emails per day to try to entrap people into sending money to THEM with the promise of a return to the victim of MILLIONS of dollars.

Jason Jones always initiates contact over the internet as he does advertise on the internet throughout portals like craigslist.org - which is a very common source for scammers to initiate contact with their victims. You can read more about the many scams that are iniated on craigslist.org here: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html.

Is outing business people what we do on this site? IMO, NO.

Again, that is in no wise what I hope to accomplish with this thread, nor is this thread designed to defame him - as was mentioned above, this thread was posted to reach out to individuals who were already scammed by Jason.

I don't want Scamwarners to be seen to slander anyone and that is the reason you have been advised to seek legal remedies to this situation.

There is no slander going on here. Nearly all information provided about Jason's activities in these posts has been presented within a civil court and found to be true with a very real civil judgment against him.