If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#3505 by javagirl Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 am
I don't know what to do. My boss, who is elderly, is being scammed. What's worse is he is an attorney, a very smart one who should know better!!!

This man has called, I spoke with him a few times and he said he was from Canadian Customs and that my boss had ordered a package that needed to be paid for. I wouldn't put him through. He kept calling and our receptionist put him through. He then tells my boss that he's won all this money but has to pay the taxes on it or some nonsense. I told him it is a scam and do not fall for it. He agreed but then said someone called him at home who sounded legitimate and was not asking for any money up front. I still stressed to him that that was also a scam.

They sent over fake Bank of America forms with toll free phone number and a fax number with an Oklahoma area code. It was a form for him to fill out his bank information and a disbursement authorization. He filled it out and had his other secretary fax it to him, against my urging him not to. The account he used doesn't have any money in it anyway it's just an old account he never closed. Well, the scammers must have found out it's empty and are now asking him to send them money by Western Union.

He's asking me for money out of our operating account, which I know is his money because he's the boss.......but I don't want to give it to him because I know he is being scammed. I don't know what else to do.

I've printed out all the information I could find on the internet for him and he still believes these people are legit. He is such a good person and I do not want to see him get taken advantage of.
Advertisement

#3506 by ChrisSmith Thu May 29, 2008 12:11 pm
It's a terrible situation when people don't believe they're being scammed and you know that they are. We come across it all the time.
You could try directing your boss here and we will do what we can to help. Or you can just try plugging away, hoping that he will get the message.

Or, if you like, you can PM me some more details. I'll need everything you've got on the scam - emails, addresses, phone numbers, names, etc. I'll then take a deeper look and see if I can come up with something that will convince your boss he's being scammed.

The other thing you can do is to inform your local police and ask them to come in for a chat. Obviously, if you take this track, a lot depends on the type of relationship that you have with your boss - you don't want to end up getting fired when all you've done is try to help.

#3507 by javagirl Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 pm
Thank you. I will PM you what I have. There are no emails, this one started out strictly by phone. My boss doesn't even no really how to get on the computer and do much. And unfortunately, he gave them his cell phone and home numbers. They have figured out that I won't put them through anymore. There are about 3 different people that have called or they could be one person using different names. Who knows.

#3508 by Chris Martins Thu May 29, 2008 1:19 pm
If your boss is in the US, I would be happy to give him a call as a representative from this site. I would essentially repeat some of the things you have already told him, but if he hears it from another source, it may have more impact.

Since you are already working with ChrisSmith, I will leave it to him do decide if a call is warranted. He knows how to get in touch with me.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#4128 by javagirl Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:31 pm
Well, all my warnings, all his families warnings---- nothing has worked. The other lady I work with found a bunch of Western Union receipts. He has sent them over $20,000 already, and just sent some this morning. I keep telling him he is being scammed. I am going to look for another job. It makes me sick to my stomach to watch him do this.

Nothing we've done has worked. We printed out all that stuff, have told him repeatedly that it's a scam. His wife, his children, everyone has done all they can do I guess.

I have gotten to the point when he asks if we have any money in the bank for the title co. I say no because I refuse to give it to him so he can send it to these losers.

#4129 by ChrisSmith Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:44 pm
You showed him the web-pages I gave to you?

Your only other option now is to try to get the police involved. Go to them and tell them everything that you know about the scam. Let them deal with it.
If you don't want to contact the police, then get his wife to do it.

But make sure it gets done.

#4141 by Dan Jones Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:41 pm
It's a shame, but some people get sucked in so far that it's harder to pull themselves out than it is to keep throwing money at it.

I'm glad that his wife, coworkers, and presumably close family know he is getting scammed. It means they shouldn't give him their money, but it's still a crying shame that nothing has gotten through to him.

I would definitely follow Chris's advice to get an officer to have a word with him. I truly hope it works.

You said he was an attorney, i don't suppose you know of any laws that their "transaction" would be breaking? I was thinking that maybe seeing something he believed in telling him the truth might make an impact. It's a long shot i guess.

whatever else happens, look after yourself first. don't let these scammers bring you down too.

#4152 by Chris Martins Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 am
Sorry to hear all of that Javagirl. It sounds like you have gone to great lengths to help this person, it's a shame he has not come around. I agree that getting law enforcement involved could be productive. My offer still stands to call him, if you think that will do any good. Click on the email button at the bottom of my post to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#4164 by Ralph Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:06 pm
@JavaGirl,

I have no advice for you that has not already been given but I will re mention 2 things that are very important

Contact the police
or, Give us the details to call him

These scammers know what buttons to press to keep their victims on the hook and sometimes a takes a stranger to talk to them to get them out of it.

#4177 by Ted Baker Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:17 pm
Another angle of approach could be for you to have a chat with the bank manager and see if he will talk to your boss. If you can get your boss to talk it over with the bank manager, then so much the better.