If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#11436 by AlanJones Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:25 am
Scammers do not usually knowingly send out viruses or malware. However, they operate from Cybercafes, so there is no way of knowing what is on the computers that they use.

As long as you do not open any documents or click on any links that they send then you will be safe.

If you do have documents that you are unsure about, GMail gives you the option of opening them as google documents. This is safe, as no macros or code can run on your PC.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
Advertisement

#11455 by Copen Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:38 pm
Thank you Lishi for having shared your story. Sad but useful...
For your information, I have the same story as I am currently looking for a flat in Copenhagen as well.
WARNING : A guy under the pseudo "Patel Pratik" is currently acting on Copenhagen Craigslist.
I have just exchanged with him yesterday via the following address:
[email protected] or [email protected]
You might try to track him by trying to communicate with him via his ads for flat rental on Craigslist.
Good luck.
#11461 by Ralph Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:29 am
Hi Copen

Welcome to Scamwarners

Thank you for this additional information, it may well prevent somebody from being scammed by this internet thief.

Well done :=)
#11953 by skands Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:26 pm
I am looking for an appartment in Geneva and noticed that the same phone numbers as cited previously in this list are now used by a person calling himself

Joseph Andrew Smith <[email protected]>
+447024020353
Hope to read from you soon.
Regards.
Andrew

and another one here:
Sam Pepper <[email protected]>
Regards,
Sam.
+447031931775

The mail from 'Sam Pepper' was in noticeably poor English, typical scamglish. The one from 'Andrew Smith' was in better English, I had him figured for a Russian until I checked out the phone number and found it on this list. Anyway, be aware that those two aliases are now also used.
#11956 by Clair Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:40 pm
Hi Skands and Welcome to Scamwarners. Thanks for posting the information, it just may prevent somebody else from falling for the same scam.
#12039 by Geert Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am
Hello everybody,

I almost got scammed by the same guys who used the name of Jonas to rent an appartment in Bruxelles. They used the e-mail adres [email protected] and phonenumber +447031931775
Same IP-adres in Lagos Nigeria as with other scams.

They also send a copy of the ID-card of the real Jonas, who got scammed almost as well.
I contacted the "real" Jonas and told him about the used of his name for scams.

Please be aware of people who are using his or my name for renting apartements/houses/whatsoever. I will not rent any apartments whatsoever!

Geert Buijs
Last edited by Geert on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#12041 by GomerPyle Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 am
One big tell tale sign is the use of a telephone number starting +4470

The +44 means it's a UK number, so you have to ask if that's normal for someone advertising a flat for rent in Denmark, Germany or Switzerland.

The real giveaway is the next two digits 70 which indicates that it's a re-direct number, in other words the person is having the call diverted to his real number. He is therefore purposely hiding his real number, and therefore his location from you. The most likely reason for that is that they would have to show a Nigerian or West African dialling code which would make you suspicious.

Whenever you see the dialling code beginning +4470 you should be very suspicious. The most likely reason is that you are dealing with a scammer. An honest person does not need to hide their real telephone number or location from you.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#12061 by JoeM Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:03 pm
I'm sorry to hear a lot of people were scammed/attempted scammed by someone offering an apartment in Copenhagen. It makes me especially sad because I live there.

To add to GomerPyle's excellent tip, I'll give a few tips for anyone being offered apartments in Copenhagen:

First of all, check the address and see if it is a real address. For instance, I see a member was offered an apartment on this address: 15 Thyregodsvej, Ground Fl., Copenhagen 2600, Denmark

There are a few pointers that give this away. First of all we do not put the number before the street name in Denmark. It would always be 'Thyregodsvej 15' and never the other way. Secondly, there is no postal code in Copenhagen called 2600. 2600 belongs to a sub-urb called Glostrup.
It's a good idea to look up the postal codes for Denmark if you are looking for an apartment here. They can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_postal_codes_in_Denmark.

Addresses in Denmark can be looked up here: http://en.degulesider.dk/white-pages.html
If it doesn't give a hit, it doesn't exist - like the one offered by the scammer in this case.

In general, the price of an apartment in Copenhagen is very expensive and I expect that may be one of the reasons they are targeting victims looking for an apartment here.

If you have been offered an apartment in Copenhagen and have any doubts about it, you are welcome to send me a Private Message by clicking the PM icon to the right here below my nickname and asking for advise. (Note; I cannot help you find an apartment so don't bother messaging me asking for that :D )
Last edited by JoeM on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#12063 by GomerPyle Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:17 pm
Excellent post JoeM.

I wonder if this information could be kept somewhere as a sticky due to apartment rental scams being so prevalent, maybe under the neading of 'apartmental rental scams' so that anyone making a google search will find it easily.

The tip on UK redirect numbers too if it isn't already somewhere, headed +4470.

I just did a google search and found that alibaba.com came top with a warning on redirect numbers.

If the given phone or fax number starts with +4470 it is a link number what connects you with anywhere in the world, but not to a real UK ...
resources.alibaba.com/.............

The more warnings there are, the better.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#13064 by Sierra1 Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:35 pm
I need to let everyone know that the "Patel's" you have been talking about I think I have met!! I work with Walgreens in Az., the Patel Family have been scamming drug stores in the Mesa-Gilbert area for years, they have stopped right now but there still around...and keep trying to scam us....
#13065 by Arnold Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:32 pm
Hi and welcome to Scamwarners.
Patel is a very common name, and scammers don't scam using their real names. Why should they, when false names are so easily used for Creigslist adverts, free email accounts, etc?
Sorry, but there's really no chance they are the same people.

#13083 by Ralph Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:06 am
Hi Sierra

Arnold is quite correct, the chance of you actually meeting this scammer is extremely remote unless you live in Africa and frequent internet cafes.

As the email comes from a gmail address we can not confirm the origin but statistically speaking, this scammer is in Africa
#26903 by Bebitza Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:32 pm
I almost got scammed too, i really belived him, but i realised he`s a scam when he asked me to send the money via western union. This is another e-mail address from him: [email protected]
So, be aware. thanks.

--- On Mon, 10/26/09, barton.james900 <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Re: Hi!
To: -removed poster's name and email throughout- dotti
Date: Monday, October 26, 2009, 10:56 AM

Hello
I understand you better..but since that past experience. Have been given instrutions by my father's lawyer not to allow any body to view the flat with out paying a security deposit which is refundable and also fill the telancy form so that you can get approved from my father;s lawyer as soon s you have been approved then you can come around view the flat...Kindly call my father's lawyer for more regarding the rooms.....

Hope to hear from you

Thank you

On 10/26/09, xxx wrote:

I DON`T HAVE A SCANNER OR A PRINTER... I FILLED THE DOC. THAT U SENT ME, BUT BECAUSE OF THAT I CAN`T SIGN IT.. I ATTACHED THE DOC TO THIS MAIL SO U CAN SEE IT, AL LEAST, AND THAN MAYBE WE CAN MEET SO I CAN HAVE A PAPER LIKE THAT TO FILL IT IN AND SIGN IT OF COURSE. THANKS A LOT.

To: "xxx>
Date: Monday, October 26, 2009, 6:23 PM

Hello
Thanks for the keen interest in the room... There's no need for you to fill forms any more , i have just forward the form to my father's lawyer in the uk..my father as 3 properties, 2 of them in the uk and the other one is here in amsterdam , i am the one incharge of the one here and while the other two is manage by my father, and his lawyer is the legal representative of all is properties
As soon as my father's lawyer approve you that mean the rooms as been legally secured for you ...Kindly call my lawyer for more infromations on the room..+447024055749 , feel free to call at any time you will be received with open harms..
Hope to hear from you

To:
Date: Monday, October 26, 2009, 6:23 PM

Hello
Thanks for the keen interest in the room... There's no need for you to fill forms any more , i have just forward the form to my father's lawyer in the uk..my father as 3 properties, 2 of them in the uk and the other one is here in amsterdam , i am the one incharge of the one here and while the other two is manage by my father, and his lawyer is the legal representative of all is properties
As soon as my father's lawyer approve you that mean the rooms as been legally secured for you ...Kindly call my lawyer for more infromations on the room..+447024055749 , feel free to call at any time you will be received with open harms..
Hope to hear from you.

To: "
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 1:55 PM

I am so sorry i was not able to send you the approvel form to you ....My father's lawyer just approve you yesterday and i have just attached the approval form and keep it..Here are some details about me I manage a super market, 23 years, was born in the Amsterdam but i grew up in England and returned back to the Amsterdam at the age of 17. I can say much about myself but I can say a little of what my friends do say about me. I am an easy going, dedicated,honest,intelligent God fearing girl and devoted as well. I'm an open minded man, I love been honest with people .. i have a supermarket along the street whcih i mange to earn my living ..you will be living with me and one other telant which is also a very kindly person
More details about the rooms;It has a Central Air and Heat,refrigerator,dishwasher, dryer,oven,internet,Cable TV,Air conditioner...It also has a garage and I'm ready to accept either monthly or upfront mode of payment..depending on the one you're most comfortable with..Utilities include: power, water,sewer and trash..Your monthly rent already covers utilities so you do not have to pay extra charges for that i`m not renting it because of money but just because i need someone to stay in the House and also from the way you write you seems to be a good tenant I can let the place to you...kindly read the approval document and get back or call the lawyer if you need any thing or more informations...Feel free to call my lawyer for more informations.........+447024055749

Hope to hear form you..

Thank you

On 10/27/09, > wrote:

first I want to tell u. i don.t send the money via western union because is scam.

waiting for your offer but do not lie with Western Union. thank you

To: ">
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 9:41 AM

Hello
You sound skepitc from your email once , and that is very wrong ,if you think i just want to take your money for nothing when i known how people worked and earn their money beside my offer of the room still stand and it is 100% real ok.
kindly understand me better i am not trying to scam anyone in this sutiation all i am just doing is the policy of my father's lawyer , you have to pay to my father's lawyer and the most safest and fastest way is to make the payment by western union transfer or money gram tranfer .....i want you to take that awful thing away from you mind because I will never think about doing to some one and also i am a Man of Faith and i such much believe in his words and i would'nt do such a thing when i have blood runing through my vain.
Kindly call my lawyer if you are really still inetersted in this room ...+44702455749. talk to him about the method you will which to pay the money. i will be contacting my lawyer so he can expect you call...

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU......

Thank you
#26906 by Dotti Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm
I'm glad you were able to avoid being scammed.

This scammer appears to suffer from some gender confusion.
I am an easy going, dedicated,honest,intelligent God fearing girl and devoted as well
I'm an open minded man,

Note the typical 44-70 number - a redirect number used to hide scammer's location in Africa.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.