If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#3554 by Shakin Stevens Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 am
I was pointed in this direction from 419eater.

For the past three months I have been baiting scammer and sending him on several mini safaris He has grown tired of this as I "have been causing him great stress and pine and he got assault five time". He now wants me to send money to to someone else who he claims is his girlfriend. He sent me her name address and telephone number and after a quick search about Google I found what seems to be her Bebo page and I suspect that she has fallen for a romance scam by the same scammer I currently have hooked.

If any one here would like to contact this probable victim I have her mobile number.
Advertisement

#3557 by Ralph Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 am
Hi Shakin,

Thanks for posting, many of us are equipped to talk to victims and we can arrange that fairly easily, do you know what country she is from, it will help us to work out who is best suited to make the call, if she is an Aussie I can do it, otherwise others here will be able to handle it for you.

Generally any members here with titles (mods, admins, warners, advisors or general council) will be able to look after it

Good work on getting those details, many potential victims are saved as a result of what you have done

#3558 by Shakin Stevens Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:31 am
Mod edit - unnecessary full quote of post directly above has been deleted - SP

She's actually from the UK. All I have is her telephone number and possibly her work email address. I'll give them out on request.

#3559 by Crispy Duck Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:38 am
Have sent you a pm.

#3560 by Scam Patroller Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:40 am
Hi Shakin Stevens, please send me the victims name, address and phone number, along with the scammers name, via PM, and I will make sure a warning gets sent to her, cheers

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, then it is.

http://www.419eater.com - http://www.aa419.org

#3563 by Crispy Duck Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:50 pm
Update:

I have been trying to call the lady but her mobile is apparently switched off.

Research shows that the original scammer - Dr. Will Copper - may have recruited the lady as a "money mule" for "Global Source Fabrics & Textiles" - Google has may hits on these names.

If that is the case, she may be an unwilling participant in the money trail, which will be confirmed once we have spoken to her.

I will continue trying until I get through.

#3565 by Shakin Stevens Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:32 pm
Crispy Duck wrote:Update:

Research shows that the original scammer - Dr. Will Copper - may have recruited the lady as a "money mule" for

If that is the case, she may be an unwilling participant in the money trail.

Without a doubt I do suspect that he is using her as a mule. He also insists that she is his girlfriend (which I very much doubt), her bebo site also says that that she is "seeing someone" but yet has no "My other half" bebo link. She's a middle aged (single/divorced/widowed) mother and from previous experience a couple of years ago of contacting vicitms, which I no longer do, she is a quite likely 'maga' who may do anything for him.

#3566 by Crispy Duck Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:21 am
The number has been called many times (at various times of the day) but is switched-off.

I will ask for a 'snail-mail' warning to be sent to the lady, asking her to contact me so that we can determine the situation & advise her.

EDIT: Found an email address for her so have sent an email asking her to contact me. I shall continue trying the phone as well.
#3569 by Beyonce Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:32 pm
The middle aged lady you're talking about is a very good friend of mines and is not in anyway connected with Will Copper (aka Webb Wilfred). We did discover a few days ago that he was a scammer when he asked her to 'receive' some money for him and I have since told her to have no more contact with him. She did receive an email from scamwarners (but has not received any calls to her mobile) but I did tell her not to reply to any more messages until I confirm that it is genuine (hence I came across this website). Glad I stumbled on this website :D

PS what's a maga??
Last edited by Beyonce on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#3570 by donny0 Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:34 pm
Hi

I am the 'middle aged' maga you are all talking about. I knew nothing about all of this. I had been speaking online to someone called Webb Wilfred. He did ask me at the weekend to try and get some money to him. Thankfully my friends pointed out that this was probably a scam and have been proven right since.

I would be interested to hear more about this if someone wants to contact me.

By the way - I have had no phone calls to my mobile and it has been switched on constantly.
#3572 by ChrisSmith Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:13 pm
Beyonce wrote: what's a maga??

"Maga" means "Victim"
It's one of the words that the scammers use amongst themselves.

#3573 by benjamin Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:21 pm
Hi Beyonce and donny0 and welcome :)

Thank you for coming along here to put our minds at rest :)

The reason someone tried to contact you is that someone was asked to send you some money by a known scammer, and that (allegedly) makes you what is known as a 'mule' - someone who receives payments for a scammer for whatever reason, whether knowingly or not, and forwards the money on, usually by Western Union. We know that generally people are not aware that the person they send money to is a scammer, hence trying to contact you to warn you. Crispy Duck is sending you the information that we have via PM.

It's good to hear that you sussed the scammer out before it got complicated. People can get into serious trouble with the law, even though they are unaware of the scam, if they receive and forward payments.

A maga is the scammers name for a 'client', 'job' or more literally 'fool' - their description, not ours.

Thanks for coming to the site and clearing up the confusion.

#3574 by Crispy Duck Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:24 pm
@DonnyO.

I have sent you a PM.

#3576 by Beyonce Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:30 pm
Thanks for clearing all that up. What will happen with the scammer now?

DonnyO you are a maga... their description not mines lol

#3577 by benjamin Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:34 pm
Unfortunately, very little, they register for emails and phones with fake details, so they are almost impossible to track down. The best defence against them is to spread the word about them.
Now don't torment your friend Beyonce - it's not nice :)