If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#204042 by BaptistD Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:59 am
Hello everyone,
I think i just escaped a scam.
When i found out i tought to let everyone know of it !

It all started when i wanted to sell my car.

after a few days i got a text message of an +45 number ( +45 609910233)
it said; Hello, is your car still for sale? pls get back at me with the firm price and the presen condition of the car via my e-mail ([email protected] ).

I tought well, lets try that, so i repoied with my e-mail.
After a few mails de repied to me that he was satisfied with the price and wanted to pay.
this was what he said. Ok,good.After comparisons,I'm satisfied with the price and condition and i would arrange for the transportation to my home but i would be paying through Skrill(moneybookers) as it is the fastest & easiest way to pay... and do not worry about transfer charges, i will take care of that directly from my account Okay? . So if you accept the proposal, you should send me your info requested below if you have an account already:-

Name :
Skrill a/c email :
Mobile Number:
Total amount :

Then i can proceed with the transfer and then we can arrange for my transport agent to come for the pick up after you received your money. I will need your home address too for the pick up to be arranged.

Regards,

Ramon.

I replied to him that i din't know that way of paying and that i wanted a normal bank transfer. so i added my bank account number. and the firm price of 2250 euro.

when he answerd to me that he only wanted to pay with the Skrill thing a light started to flikker in my head :),
but as polite as i am i continued, made an account, gave the info, he "transferd" the money and i got an mail from Skrill, this is it.

Dear (removed)

You have received a Skrill Payment of €3.070,00 EUR from Ramon Beltran Sanchez.

TRANSACTION STATUS : TEMPORARY ON HOLD !!!

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest MoneyGram, and send the excess sum of €820,00 EUR to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your MoneyGram Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via MoneyGram.

Click Here Locate Nearest MoneyGram Office.

Transport Company: " Dynamex Courier Logistics"

Name : Anna Collins
City : Homerville
State : Georgia
Post Code : 31634

Address Status:Confirmed s

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested. Should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as:

(1) Sender's Name;
(2) Receiver's Name;
(3) Transfer Reference Number;
(4) Amount Sent;
(5) MoneyGram Receipt

You may contact Skrill customer service by Clicking Here or reply to this message directly using the reply button in your email to submit the required information and include either transaction ID or reference number (PP307) quick recognition of this transaction.
Sincerely,

The Skrill Team
Skrill Email ID PP307.

i know that these agencies don't ask for a transport fee for get the money?
P.S. the e-mail came from: Skrill(Moneybookers)" <[email protected]>

so i replied to the guy that din't trust it, so the deals went off.

Hope i did the right thing !

thanks for the replies and such.

regards,
Baptist
Last edited by BaptistD on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#204044 by AlanJones Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:45 am
It is a definite scam - the email "from" Skrill will be spoofed from another email address to make it look like you have received a payment. Payment processors such as Skrill, MoneyGram, Western Union and PayPal do not operate Escrow services where they hold money pending the forwarding of payments to a third party or the presentation of a courier tracking number.

Please can you post the email address that the Skrill mail came from (and the Reply-to address if it is different) so that other victims can find them.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#204051 by vonpaso xlura Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:42 am
I never heard of Skrill before, but this sort of scam is commonly done by spoofing PayPal, and you can find many examples on this site.

Someone in Denmark wants to buy your car, but he uses a shipper in America and writes like an African? That makes no sense. He's in Africa and the American is a mule.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#204052 by BaptistD Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:04 am
AlanJones wrote:It is a definite scam - the email "from" Skrill will be spoofed from another email address to make it look like you have received a payment. Payment processors such as Skrill, MoneyGram, Western Union and PayPal do not operate Escrow services where they hold money pending the forwarding of payments to a third party or the presentation of a courier tracking number.

Please can you post the email address that the Skrill mail came from (and the Reply-to address if it is different) so that other victims can find them.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply !
I also contacted Skrill about this scam, then ensured me that the e-mail din't came from them.
This was their reply;

Dear Removed (BW),
Thank you for contacting the Skrill Help Team.

We can confirm that the email you received did not come from Skrill or anyone employed by us.

‘Phishing’ emails impersonate well-known brands such as ours and aim to extract your personal information by prompting you to login to your account and provide confidential details.

Please do not follow any links contained in the email and do not enter any of your information, as the links in phishing emails do not direct to the genuine Skrill website. If you have already done this, please immediately change the password for your wallet account. We strongly recommend that you also change the primary email address and disable the current one.

Below are some useful tips that will help you recognise genuine Skrill correspondence:

• Skrill never sends emails using "Dear Customer" in the greeting. We will always address you by your last name or by your first and last name, exactly as it appears in your account profile at Skrill (including spelling)
• All actions related to your wallet account are registered and processed on a Skrill webpage.

Please make sure to check on the domain name in the address bar of your browser. Only addresses which start with https://www.skrill.com, https://account.skrill.com and https://help.skrill.com are genuine Skrill pages. We strongly recommend that you always login to your wallet account by typing the URL of the website in the address bar yourself.

Thank you for drawing this email to our attention. If you have any questions or more information you think would help, please get in touch.

Best regards,

Vanya
Skrill Help Team

Skrill Ltd. is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 for the issuing of electronic money, Register No. 900001[/b]

Regards
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Added quote and removed personal information.
#204053 by BaptistD Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 am
vonpaso xlura wrote:I never heard of Skrill before, but this sort of scam is commonly done by spoofing PayPal, and you can find many examples on this site.

Someone in Denmark wants to buy your car, but he uses a shipper in America and writes like an African? That makes no sense. He's in Africa and the American is a mule.

Skrill is a similar Firm like PayPal.

oh, you forgot something :)

Someone in Denmark wants to buy your car,He has a Pasport from spain but he uses a shipper in America and writes like an African? That makes no sense. He's in Africa and the American is a mule.
#204070 by TerranceBoyce Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:05 pm
A buyer wants to pay you using Skrill and then asks you to pay him by Moneygram ?

That is ridiculous and something only a scammer would do. Firstly a seller should never pay a buyer anything for any reason as I mention below. The fact that he asks you to use a particular payment method and then specifies an alternative to pay him screams 'SCAM'.

Even if his story were true, which it isn't, there's no reason he couldn't make the payment himself - but the only real part of the transaction will be the payment he wants to trick you to make to him.

If you offer something for sale on an ad site you'll get lots of messages like this, but they try to vary the details though the intention of tricking you in to making a payment to them is the same.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#204183 by Scuby Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:14 am
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I just registered to ta say thanks.

I got the exact same text from a number I just tried to call that doesn't exist.

Im in the Netherlands. Guy says he's in Spain. I've found someone by that name on FB and aproached him. Waiting for a reply. If he is the guy, that's good to know, if not he should know his name is being used.

I almost went for it.

Selling a car also, same message, got a few emails back and forth, maybe 12. Never offered any other way to pay except for Skrill. Strange. Now I know why. He only has a redirect page for that!

Often with those redirect pages you can see if you look carefully you can see the redirect URL real quick

Anyways. Thanks and good luck selling your car!
#204205 by vonpaso xlura Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:57 pm
There's no sense telling the guy who really has that name anything. The scammer is in Africa and is confused about which names go with which countries. He's hiding behind false names and Internet cafés; there's no way to find him.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#297921 by Evelienne Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:44 pm
Dear Baptist!

It was a great help for me to find your post about the Scrill scam you encountered with the "guy from Spain" with the email address: [email protected].

I recently experienced a very similar thing.

I put up some furniture for sale (3 pieces) on a national ads website.
I got a reply - not via the ad site but to my phone no - looking something like this:

"Hi, is the item still available?"
from a "Ramon Beltran Sanchez" with a Spanish flag next to his email address: [email protected].

I answered to his email address (thus we are now outside of the secure ad website):

"Hi,
The items (Three --- -----) are still available.
Which ones were you interested in (see items in links below)?"
[links to Three items on webbased ads page given]
Regards, (name witheld)"

I soon got an answer:

"Okay,I will like to buy it and also transport it away from your country to my home in Spain
and i would also be paying through PayPal as it is the fastest & easiest way to pay... and do
not worry about paypal charges, i will take care of that directly from my account so you can
have the full funds in your account . So if you accept my proposal, you should send me your
info requested below if you have an account already:-

Name :
PayPal Email :
Mobile Number:
Total amount :

so that i can proceed with the transfer and then we can arrange for my transport agent to
come for the pick up after you received your money. I will need your home address too for
the pick up to be arranged.
Regards"

I got a bit suspicious after his reply and searched the web, and I came across your post!
I was amazed at how similar - almost identical - the email I got was compared to the one you got with the Scrill scam. In my case, he had changed Scrill payment to PayPal - same thing.

The "name" is clearly the same (Ramon Beltran Sanchez) and this must be the same scam artist as you encountered.
After seeing your post I was convinced that this was a hoax. Still, as I was curious to how he would act, I tried to press him a bit and sent the following answer to him:

"Dear Ramon,
The total amount of the 3 - - - are (as you can see in the ads on XXXX):
XX+XXX+XX = YYYY [Currency].

I do not use PayPal, but you can transfer the Money using the service "ZZZZ":
[link to Money transfer service site given]

--> Which transport agent do you plan on using (DHL, UPS or other)?

The [items] are located in the XXXX-area.

Regards,
[name witheld]"
______

Then, I received a short, not very cordial answer from him:

"send your paypal details for the payment.Thanks"

And I answered:

" don´t have or use a PayPal account, as I said in the email.
Please consider other options of transfer. For example, XXX or the YYY-package:
[link given]
Thanks"

Needless to say, he never answered.

For sure, had I fallen into the trap, he would have sent me a fake email from Ebay showing a deposit for the items, and then proceeded to demand that I deposit the "transportation cost".

So I escaped a scam too, thanks to you Baptist, and who knows who this guy is and from where he operates. Your post was from 2 years ago and the guy is still running the same scam ....

Anyone else that recognizes this and had it happen to him/her?
Watch out for this Scam Artist!

All the best,
xxxxxxx
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information.