If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#223266 by Michelle87 Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:12 pm
I too was nearly scammed, "her" name is now karen clark! Here's part of what she sent me

[email protected] Added email address (BW)
Hello Casey, thank you for replying to my job opening. I do hope to have a good reference with you at the end. I am relocating to Virginia with my daughter who will be 3 years old this October and seeking a good caregiver for her for the first 5 months. Am hearing Impaired so we will be talking mostly through text and email. I am employing two caregivers for the first 5 months because I need a long-term caregiver and will love to know Nancy's comment on each of the babysitters, to decide who is going to be with her permanently. I am a Medical counselor at the Wisconsin State Schools for the Deaf and the Blind. I am starting a new appointment with the hearing impaired at the Virginia College and James Madison College. I will be needing two babysitters for mornings (11 am - 4 pm) and evenings (4 pm to 9 pm), Mondays through Fridays respectively because I work long hours. The start date is October 18th and the end date is February 18th. Let me know the schedule that suits you and where you would like to care for her? We have the option of dropping her at your house or you coming for her at the hotel. Either ways works fine with me. I just want to make sure she is fine. I will be glad if we can set up an interview on the 16th and discuss about the kid-fun activities, I will be interested in getting to know each other.

Kindly let me know if the dates and time works fine with you. I look forward to your email so as to proceed with further arrangement.

Thank You

I'm so thankful I found this site, although I already sent my address at least I know to turn in the fake check when received!
Advertisement

#223525 by beingjulia Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:54 pm
This is the one that I got and I almost fell for it, but I still sent my resume..... start to finish, boy do I feel stupid. My first time on care.com

[email protected]

Karen;

Good morning. I received your text requesting my resume. I would like to thank you for considering me and please send the details of what you would be needing and your terms and information. I am a mother of 4 grown children and I have 3 beautiful grandchildren. I love children but sadly, cannot have any more of my own so I will stick to loving other people's children. Attached you will find my resume, I havent worked in this field professionally, but I did homeschool my own son who is now graduated and in college here in Odessa. Please let me know if you think me a good fit.

Warmest Regards

karen brax
To Me Today at 12:18 PM
Thank you for replying to my text. I`m moving to your
area on 20th of October and i will need a nanny for my son immediately. His
name is Joe, 6years old and the time would be from 9am to 4pm
Saturdays and Sundays only (Depending on your availability). This is a long term position but its fine to start temporary. Some weekdays are also flexible if you are
available but we may need to discuss that in person. I`m willing to pay
18/hour. I believe its a great pay and i`m paying that much because i
want quality care for my son. Let me know when you can start.

I lost my husband and a 4months old baby in December. It was my late
husband`s birthday and he decided to take the kids out while i was
still at work. Joe happens to be the only survival from the accident but he
currently uses a wheelchair. I have had terrible times in the last few
months and this is one of the reasons i have decided to move because
staying here brings back some sad memories. Kindly be
honest if you have experience with childcare because i want the best care
for Joe. I`m hard of hearing and can only communicate via writing,
reading lips or text messaging. I hope that isn`t a problem? I`m easy going
and love to laugh. I can send you a picture of me and joe in my next
email.

It will be nice to read about you. I want a nanny who is
willing to be a friend and family. Please note that i have a few applicants
for this position but i made you our first choice so i wouldnt
appreciate a waste of time. Make sure to include your complete name, address
including zip code and cell phone number in your response so i could
check the map to read the distance between us also to have your address on
file. You may ask questions in case you have any. I await your quick
response.

Regards,

Karen.

Me to her:

Karen;

I dont know what else to say.

www.scamwarners.com View topic - Babysitting scam, should I be worried about my safety?
#225499 by AB81 Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:48 pm
Hi,

Newbie chiming in here with an update on the scam. I was approached last week by a "Sally Richardson" supposedly from Phoenix. She claimed to be "hard of hearing" and wove a fine sob story about losing her late husband and 14 month old baby in a car accident this year that almost made me putty in her hands. Swayed by her tragic story, I was ready to do just about anything for her. Had it not been for my husband picking up on the red flags in her email, I probably would have NEVER guessed that I was being scammed. After googling accidents in Feb 2014 in Phoenix to confirm whether her cock and bull story was real, I started googling care.com babysitting scams, which is when this forum showed up confirming my worst fears; I was being played by a experienced scammer, and boy do I feel like a gullible moron now.

Anyway, I was first approached by her via text. The number was 310 299-5155. When I called the number, it turned out to be a text only number. She asked me to forward her my resume and references to the gmail address [email protected]. Here's my entire exchange with her, with personal information omitted for privacy:

Email from me:
Hi Sally,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Attached please find my CV as requested. Below are my references:

REFERENCES DELETED

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you

Regards,

AB

HER RESPONSE:

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:29 AM
To: AB
Subject: Re: Resume & references

Hello,
Thanks for your response.I live in phoenix but i am moving to your area on 31st of oct and i will need a Babysitter for my 6yrs old Son immediately between the hours of 8:30am to 1:30pm Monday`s through Friday`s.I hope you are available this hours but if you are not let me know your availability because i might still be needing your services on weekends and the time would be from 9am to 4pm Saturdays and Sundays only. I am willing to pay $15/hour and $18/hour on weekends I believe its a great pay and i`m paying that much because i want quality care for my son. I really need a honest and responsible caregiver for him. This could be a temporary/permanent job. It depends on what your schedule looks like and cooperation but i do like to be sure if you are available the first month.

I lost my husband and a 14months old baby in february. It was my late husband`s birthday and he decided to take the kids out while i was still at work. Jason happens to be the only survival from the accident but he currently uses a wheelchair. I have had terrible times in the last few months and this is one of the reasons i have decided to move to a new area because staying here brings back some sad memories. I am planning on getting him a powered wheelchair and have contacted a seller. I will let you know as soon as we finalize issues. I will like you to send me your complete name,address and cell phone number so i can include that to my payroll for the period. I also will like you to tell me a few things about yourself and your availability (weekdays or weekends). Here is a little about me. I am a single mother, I am 39 and i am hard of hearing and can communicate via writing, reading lips or text messaging. I attended phoenix School for the Deaf where i achieved my highest qualification. I have my own business (Self Employed). I attend the catholic. You will get to know more when we meet. Kindly include in your email your complete name,address and also your personal cell phone number so i can text you incase i need to pass an urgent information.
Thank You

MY RESPONSE:

On 23 October 2014 08:51, wrote:

Dear Sally,

Thank you for your email. I am saddened to learn about the loss of your family, and can completely relate to your ‎decision to move.

Besides my care-giving services, I would love to offer you any support I can extend to help make the transition to Oklahoma City easier for you and your son. There's a lot to see and do here and I'd be happy to help you explore the city more.

Now a little bit about me. I have been working in PR for the last 15 years, and have had the opportunity to travel to many countries due to the nature of my work.

l have been married for two years now, and work as a contractual copywriter, with most of my work done online. These days, I have a flexible schedule so I can offer you my services during weekdays and weekends.

I live in a pretty neighbourhood in xxxxxxx. Our address is (deleted for privacy) . We have a park near our home and I would love for you to come and visit‎. I can come over to your place to watch your son , or you can bring him to our house if you're comfortable with that. Since we have a park close to our house, I just think he would enjoy being outdoors. But I'm flexible either way. My cell phone is (deleted for privacy). Feel free to text me whenever convenient. I also want to add that I will be traveling for a wedding from the 3rd to the 7th of November, so I will be unavailable ‎during these dates.

Hope I've answered all your questions. We can schedule a meeting once you're in town and discuss things further if you want.

Let me know either way. I would love to help in any way possible!

Regards, AB

Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 2:33 AM
Re: Resume & references

Hello,

Thank you for your concern. You seem perfect for this job and I have decided to choose you for this position and i do hope for a very eventful time with you while you look after my son, The sitting could be in our place but if you want Jason at your place, I wouldn't have any problem dropping him. You are free to do outdoors if you wish.The start date is will now be 3rd of Nov. You will have Jason from 8.30am through 1:30pm Mondays through Fridays, His nap time ranges between 11:30 to 1.30pm and He has no allergies. I suggest that we meet at mcdonalds' on Sunday 2nd before you start working on Monday 3rd, That way we can get to know each other in person and share some interest about ourselves and the babysitting activities. As said in my previous email, the last couple of months hasn't been good and i wouldn't want to get stocked with my Son on arrival and i once booked a nanny and on arrival she told me she got another job which was a big disappointment so i`m willing to make a deposit to you ahead of time to ensure a secured appointment and to avoid disappointment. I am planning on having the wheelchair seller deliver it to you immediately after payment so you can have it ready for Jason on arrival. Hope that isn't problem? I will be looking forward to your email to ensure we are on the same page.
Thanks

MY RESPONSE:

Dear Sally

Thank you for the honor of trusting me with your son, I would love to offer my assistance to you and am excited to get started! By all means, feel free to have the wheelchair delivered to my place. However, regarding Nov. 3rd as the start date, unfortunately as I mentioned below in my email (I think maybe you missed that part), I will be in ‎Vegas from the 3rd to the 7th to attend a family wedding. I hope that doesn't complicate the plans?

I'm sorry your last babysitting experience wasn't good, but please know that I would never commit and then back out at a later stage for any reason so an advance will not be necessary. Like I said, I would love to be of help to you guys. But please let me know if we can still work something out given my travel constraints? We can certainly meet on the 2nd, and i'll be back on the 7th, so we can start on the 8th if that that won't be a huge inconvenience to you? let me know if that changes anything, hopefully we will still be able to work something out.

I will wait for your reply.

Regards, AB

Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 00:55 AM
Re: Resume & references

Hello,

Thank you for your email. I believe we can work something out as regards your traveling after meeting on the 2nd. We can meet at the McDonald at 6.00PM. I hope this is a convenient time for you. I will appreciate you working for us as one family not just a caregiver. That increases the love and build a great partnership between us. I was able to finalized with the wheelchair seller. The wheel chair cost $2400. so i will be mailing your first week payment ($15/hr x 5hrs/day = $75 x 5days a week= $375) of $375 plus an additional deposit of $2400 to make a total of $2,775 on the check as soon as i hear back from you.The deposit goes to the wheelchair seller on delivery. I will send your address to the seller for the chair delivery so you can pay on delivery as soon as the check clears. Please understand that the aim of having the wheelchair delivered to you is to ensure the wheelchair is available for Jason on arrival. The wheelchair isn't assembled yet. Its still packed in pieces so its not big at all. Due to his condition, i wouldn't want any delay with the arrangement of the chair.

Kindly let me know if this is clear so i can proceed to mailing the check.

MY RESPONSE:

‎Dear Sally,

I'm afra‎id I don't quite understand. I haven't rendered any services for you yet, so why are you sending me the advance money? Isn't there some way you can pay the wheelchair guy directly? I'm really confused.

Date: 26 October 2014 01:32
subject: Resume & references

Did you go through the email at all? i am paying you in advance so to secure your services and i also want the wheelchair to be on ground before we arrive so he can start to use immediately and i want it paid for on delivery ONLY. Do you understand now?

Now, by this time, I had already done my research and had come across this thread discussing this particular scam, so I KNEW she was BSing. Link:
https://thepassionpro.wordpress.com/...cam-scam-scam/

So here's my response:

Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:48 AM
To: Sally Richardson

No need to be belligerent Sally. I did go through your email, hence the confusion. I'm a direct person so I will be upfront with you. I don't know why you keep insisting on paying me in advance for services that I haven't even rendered when you are unwilling to ‎pay a vendor until AFTER he delivers the product to me. It just contradicts everything you are saying. Do you see my point? What works for me should work for the vendor too.

Also, most vendors accept credit cards, so why can't you pay him via credit card after he delivers the wheel-chair to me‎? If you want, you can send me a check written out in his name and I will hand it to him upon delivery of the wheelchair. That way, it will be a more streamlined process. Lastly, I don't want you to send me ANY payment to secure my services. I will work for you on a cash basis, ‎which I will collect from you at the end of each week. This way, if you don't like my services or are not happy with the way things are going with Jason under my care, you won't feel obligated to keep me on as a sitter.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

AB

I also sent this email as a follow-up:

Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:58 AM
To: Sally Richardson

Also, please specify which McDonalds you are referring ‎to, there are at least 50 in Oklahoma. A location address would help.

Lastly, what is your home address in Oklahoma where you will be moving? I need to map the distance for mileage.

Thanks

Needless to say, I haven't heard back and probably never will. Since I'm not falling for her bait, she's no longer interested in carrying on the charade.

I also have a picture that she sent to me of a lady and a kid in a wheelchair. It was very pixelated, but I guess I just didn't pick up on it. I was too sympathetic to really pay attention to all the red flags including the broken English and the weird story she pulled.

Oh well. Here's hoping others find out about her in time.
#229651 by MadMomma Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:37 am
My daughter was contacted by this "person" as well. She is now using Marlina Hutson as a name. Unfortunately before talking to me about it, she gave out all sorts of information including family pictures. What do we do?
#229652 by HillBilly Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:14 pm
MadMomma wrote:My daughter was contacted by this "person" as well. She is now using Marlina Hutson as a name. Unfortunately before talking to me about it, she gave out all sorts of information including family pictures. What do we do?

Welcome to Scamwarners, MadMomma. Thanks for the updated name , did HE/SHE/IT give out a new email address as well, or just a name change from the same email address?

Chances are real good "HER" is really a "HIM" to start with, and there really isn't much need to be concerned. Be aware, yes, most definitely, but now that you know what has happened expect more scam emails, possibly scam postal mails, phone calls, and texts ( depending on the information given to them). HE/SHE/IT can threaten you, but they can't really make good on the threats. Basically that means they act like a 2 or 3 year old that wants what it wants... just ignore it, and it will go away eventually.

See these posts in this topic for more information : viewtopic.php?p=211018#p211018

viewtopic.php?p=211027#p211027

It may also be helpful to start at post # 1 in this topic and read them all, to get a good idea of everything.

#232928 by unaffiliatedluvr Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 pm
[email protected] added by (BW)

Her new name is Karen Jamie (which I thought was maybe a middle name, but eh.) I got a text from a non-New York area code, which is funny since that's where she said she's coming from. (My entire family lives in NY, so I know my area codes. But then again, I also have a number that is out of place for where I live.) I responded to the text via email, but the real red flags didn't go up until I got the reply. I sent a lot of text on my resume (which is a PDF - wonderful for people to read, awful for computers). And "she" got back to me in ten minutes.

I also received a text-only number from "Rose" saying that the person needs a sitter for her friends kid. Another e-mail was provided at "t a y l o r . g o o d w i n 0 0 1 @ gmail.com"

:laugh-s: Because that's believable.
#232930 by AlanJones Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:20 pm
Thanks for posting.

For Google [email protected]

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#233759 by brynmay Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:33 pm
I received a message from "Rose" who had a friend looking for a child care provider. She told me to email the friend and I did.
"Taylor" was coming from Australia and need care for her son. Before they arrived, I was asked to do shopping for all their needs and would be paid and mailed the key prior to their arrival. Then, I would care for her son. She seemed so down to business and ready to start before meeting me, something I find weird.
Anyway, the email was [email protected]
Clearly it's all fake. It came off shady and now I see it is
#234282 by Softhearted Sucker Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:35 pm
I, too, almost got scammed by someone who got my contact info through Care.com. I got a text (248-502-6238) from a "Jessica Parker" followed by an email ([email protected]) requesting my babysitting services. Below is my account:

Brief Summary

"Jessica Parker," a hard of hearing mother, wanted a caretaker for her wheelchair bound 6 year old child. We went back and forth for awhile until she asked that I pay for a wheelchair ($2550) and its delivery fee ($125), promising a check was in the mail to cover my expenses. Shortly after I cut off contact with the scammer.

Email Conversation with “Jessica Parker”
[email protected]

Jan 11
Thanks for replying to my AD . My name is Jessica Parker. I recently moved from pheonix to michigan with my family but i`m moving to new york on the 23rd of january and i will need a nanny for my son immediately. His name is joe, 6years old and the time would be from 9am to 4pm Saturdays and Sundays only. This is a long term position but its fine to start temporary. Some weekdays are also flexible if you are available but we may need to discuss that in person.I`m willing to pay 18/hour. I believe its a great pay and i`am paying that much because i want quality care for my son. The start date is 24th of january.I lost my husband and my 2 year old daughter in September. It was my late husband`s birthday and he decided to take the kids out while i was still at work. Joe happens to be the only survival from the accident but
He currently uses a wheelchair. I have had terrible times in the last few months and this is one of the reasons i have decided to move because staying here brings back some sad memories. Kindly be honest if you would be able to do this kind of childcare because i want the best care for Joe. I`m hard of hearing and can only communicate via writing, reading lips or text messaging. I hope that isn`t a problem? I`m easy going and love to laugh. I can send you a picture of me and joe in my next email. I want a nanny who is willing to be a friend and family. Please note that i have a few applicants for this position but i made you our first choice so i wouldnt appreciate a waste of time. Make sure to include your complete name and zipcode you live and your active cell phone number in your response so i could check the map to read the distance between us so we dont end up being far from oneanother. You may ask questions in case you have any. I await your quick response.
Thank you!

Jan 12
Hello ,how are you doing today.Joes condition isnt actually the permanent one,he could stand on his left leg for about a minute if assisted up but just has problems with the right leg.i would be needing you to help make his meal,help him in going to the restroom ,taking him to fun places around and most importantIy helping him with his school work. I also want to let you know i would be moving into 453-W-143rd-St-C-New-York-NY-10031.so you could check it up online or personally if its close to you because i havent had time to lookup the map myself and if its not let me know asap so i could look for another babysitter for joe. thank you

Jan 12
hello,how are you doing today.i am really happy distance wont be a problem between us both.i want to inform you i would be arriving on the 23rd and since our arrival is less than 2 weeks now i would like if we meet on the same day so we get to know eacother better before you start .I hope i dont bother you with all this requests.i would also like if you could get Joe a little present on the day of our meeting because hes is the shy type and doesnt mix up with people easily but one thing about him is that he loves receiving gifts a lot.i would also be needing your assistance in getting few groceries
because we wont know anywhere around yet and may need few foodstuffs immediately we arrive till we know places over there which i actually think it wont be a problem for you showing us around .i have also made arrangements to get joe a new powered wheelchair because the one he uses over here belongs to the hospital and they dont intend selling it because they only hire it out to their patients who are in need of it.i got a cheaper one in Texas from a company and i had my brother inlaw david place a call to them to have it delivered to you and receive cash from you on delivery .Please understand that the aim of having you purchase the wheelchair is to ensure that the wheelchair is available for joe on arrival and also to have you committed to the job and assurance that youve been hired because i wont want to not have someone available to babysit joe on arrival.The wheelchair isn't assembled. Its still packed in pieces so its not a big package at all and you do not need to assemble it unless you are willing to.The chair cost is $2550 and they would receive $125 for delivery charges.i would instruct my offices account officer to issue out a check for you to deposit into your bank account so you could cover the chair cost when its delivered and also the cost for groceries too.i could also instruct my house agent to send the extra keys of my house to you so incase you dont have a place to put the chair in your house you could drop it of at my place and keep the extra keys for me till i arrive.i would also have a list of the groceries i intend getting e-mailed to you as soon as i have time to sit and make one.i have been really busy with the preparations for the move and also processings for the change of ownership of my house over here.Due to his condition, i wouldn't want any delay with the arrangement of the chair so you can let me know if everything is clear so i can go ahead with processing the payment.I truly hope for the best from you while you look after my son. I will await your mail so i could proceed with having the check for the chair and groceries sent out to you through my office as soon as i get to work.please have your full name and address you want the check addressed to sent to me
also .thanks

Jan 12
will let you know the exact time i will be arriving,would make a list of the groceries you will be getting for joe.The will chair would be delivered once you have the funds available for the check i will be sending to you,so sorry about your dad

Text Message Conversation with “Jessica Parker”

2485026238:
kindly send your resume to my private email at [email protected] job pay would be $18/hr.thank you
Hello,i am Jessica.i got your number from care.com.i'd like to know if you're available to babysit a 6yr old child on weekends.I would be happy if you could

2485026238:
will let you know once i have it

2485026238:
okay
in ensuring i and my son joe have a stress free arrival.I would have my offices account officer send out the check to you as soon as i get to work,thanks.
i just want to say thank you for accepting to help in sorting all the things i need to have ready by the time we arrive and i also appreciate all your efforts

2485026238:
was wondering if you have your resume sened already

2485026238:
okay
how is your day going

2485026238:
yes
we are both doing great

2485026238:
Good morning
how was your night
just want to inform you that the check will be coming through today
kindly make your self available to receive it and have it deposit as soon as you have it

2485026238:
when will you be available to have the check deposit

2485026238:
okay
you can have the transfer done now
Let me mail the seller to know when they will have the wheel chair delivered

2485026238:
I just had a chat with the seller and she already sold the chair because she feels we weren't ready to get it and she has someone who payed ahead of time,I
feel so bad about these because I had told her earlier to give me time that I would get back to her.

2485026238:
I am still talking to her to know how she could help us...I'll let you know.i really will feel terrible if my son doesn't get a chair soon,his very important
and hes all I have got.

2485026238:
She just have me another seller who also has few powered wheelchair left in store but am still talking to her now to know how she can help us deliver it

2485026238:
,I will let you know what we conclude on

2485026238:
We just concluded she said she could get one to us via fedex by friday afternoon but she needs to receive the fedex fee and chair fee before she sends it.

2485026238:
they can have it delayed and have delivered on saturday

2485026238:
thanks for you effort really appreciate
would get back to you to know how we are going to make the payment
so they can have it delivered on saturday

2485026238:
Do you have the funds with you already
for the wheelchair

2485026238:
yes

2485026238:
$2675
already made the check out
and my account officer is not available to have the transaction closed
Yes you are to make the payment

2485026238:
okay do let me know once you have it with you
would have the account info send to you soon
so you can make the payment

2485026238:
okay
i think you just make the right decision
would get the seller info to you asap

2485026238:
213-444-3892 Ask fir Theresa

2485026238:
Hello

2485026238:
Was wondering if you were able to get intouch with the seller

2485026238:
whats going on
Were you able to raise the funds for the wheelchair?

Phone Numbers and Email Addresses Used and Referenced by “Jessica Parker”

“Jessica Parker” Email: [email protected]

“Jessica Parker” Phone: 248-502-6238 (Chime Mobile in Birmingham, MI)

Wheelchair Seller “Theresa” Phone: 213-444-3892 (Google Voice VoIP in Los Angeles, CA)

Aliases Likely Used by “Jessica Parker”

Audrey Matthew <[email protected]>
Nancy Miner <[email protected] >
Joanne Scott <[email protected]>
Molly Bridge <[email protected]>

The list goes on and on…

I hope this helps others to avoid being scammed by the sick and twisted individuals behind these despicable attacks.
#235366 by annie_girl Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:31 am
Still going by Marlina Hutson sometimes... found me on Care.com and texted me directly, then asked for me to email resume and references.

Hello Annie,

Thanks for your response, I am glad to read from you. I am a single
Mother of two, Nelson and James, they are 5 and 1+ years respectively.
I attended Texas School for the Deaf where I achieved my highest
qualification. I have my own business (Self Employed). I attend the
catholic. We are in the process of relocating to your area. I am 38
and I am hard of hearing. I work based on the development and
counselling of the deaf people in the community, I am moving to your
area in few weeks and I really need a honest and responsible care for
my kids.

More importantly, Nelson is currently placed on a wheelchair due to an
accident he had some months ago. He can walk a few distance though but
the specialist advised he uses the chair for a while and I am planning
on getting him a powered wheelchair and have contacted a seller. You
will care for them starting 9th of February. I will appreciate if you