If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#224402 by smmrsstuff Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:36 pm
I have my wedding dress on craigslist and although I list cash only that does not stop them from trying to scam me. Here is what has transpired so far...
Ashley Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>Thanks for your response and the additional pictures. Its quite a lovely
>dress and i would love to buy it, has the dress is beautiful and gorgeous.
>Also i want you to know this is my first time of buying off craigslist.com
>I really want to come see it and try it on but i cannot as i am out of town
>due to work and preparation for my wedding. I think i have seen enough
>pictures so far, so i would love to buy it off from you as i will be
>relying on your judgment.
> My method of payment would be through a Certified Check since am not
>around and can not remit cash from here as this is coming impromptu.
>Please let me know the final asking price so i can make arrangements
>as i will handle the shipment myself and i will be sending my mover down to
>pick up the dress at your place.
> Kindly provide me with your full name and mailing address to which the
>Certified check would be sent so we can complete this up real quick as the
>wedding is just around the corner.
>** I also want to inform you that there will be an excess amount of funds
>which you will forward to my mover (for shipment purposes)**.
> I await your response.
>Thank You,
>Ashley.

After I searched on your sight and found someone else had the same email although theirs went a little further. Here is there account I have pasted it so you can see the same verbiage is used in both of the attempts.

--
Just saw ur ad on craigslist. I really like this dress,its good looking. Could I possibly get more pics of it?

I had already posted 5 pictures of the dress, but replied with more pictures of it and received the following:

Hello xxxxxxx,
Thanks for your response and the additional pictures. Its quite a lovely dress and i would love to buy it, has the dress is beautiful and gorgeous.
Also i want you to know this is my first time of buying off craigslist.com
I really want to come see it and try it on but i cannot as i am out of town due to work and preparation for my wedding. I think i have seen enough pictures so far, so i would love to buy it off from you as i will be relying on your judgment.
My method of payment would be through a Certified Check since am not around and can not remit cash from here as this is coming impromptu. Please let me know the final asking price so i can make arrangements
as i will handle the shipment myself and i will be sending my mover down to pick up the dress at your place.
Kindly provide me with your full name and mailing address to which the Certified check would be sent so we can complete this up real quick as the wedding is just around the corner.
** I also want to inform you that there will be an excess amount of funds which you will forward to my mover (for shipment purposes)**.
I await your response.
Thank You,
Ashley.

Still not realizing this was a scam, I stupidly replied with my name and address and received the following response:

Hello xxxxxx,
Thanks for your quick reply, your payment should be ready for the mail once it is gotten from the bank, as soon as its mailed, I will inform you about this, so that you are aware of when to expect it, normally it should take just about 1 to 2 working days to reach your place so that the mover can come over for the pick up after payment is cashed so that what he does is to have the item examined and picked up. So I will need you to hold the Item on my behalf for at most a week or thereabout for payment to arrive, please I will like if you kindly inform me as soon as you get the payment so that I can have my mover ready for the pick up. I will be looking forward to your reply, once again thank you.
Regards,
Ashley.

I received the following response several days later:

Hello xxxxxxx,
According to UPS Courier Service, I am made to believe the check was delivered to you today at 9:57 AM on the Mat.
I want you to go ahead with cashing the check,Take it to your bank and cash it into your bank account. Deduct the cost of the dress and have the excess funds sent to my mover. My mover will use the funds as the shipping funds in coming for the pickup at your location. So these are your next steps for now....
1. Have the check cashed out at your bank.
2. Deduct the $300 for the dress and Take the remaining $2050.00 to the nearest Western Union agent around you. You should find one agent at Walmart.
3. Send the $2050.00 to my mover, Jennifer Willis, at Western Union, You can deduct the Western Union sending fees from the $2050.00. Send it to...
JENNIFER WILLIS
Bronx, NY 10457
4. Write me an email with the ''MTCN Number'' and the total amount sent with the senders full name and address
I am counting on your honesty and trustworthiness to have this transaction well taken care of today.
My mover, Jennifer Willis will be on her way to your location for the pickup upon recieving the funds at Western Union today. The earlier you email the details to me, the faster and earlier she comes for the pickup.
I await the Western Union transfer details in your next response.
My Warmest Regards,
Ashley.

P.S
You can deduct an extra $50 for the stress and your run around to and from Western Union.

A "check" was actually delivered to me, but I had already realized it was a scam, so I didn't respond.

Several days later, I received the following email:

Hello xxxxx,
How are you, just wondering why you've not responded with the Western Union details, because i need an update on the transaction as my mover is ready to do the pickup of the dress, also i will be returning home soon and will so much appreciate it if the dress is delivered before my arrival. Really appreciate what you are doing for me.
Regards,
Ashley.

I still did not respond and received the following email several days later:

I Know for sure with no doubt that the check payment was delivered to you via UPS Courier on Friday. I need to know if you've already cashed and sent the excess funds via Western Union to my mover, Jennifer Willis
She promised to be at your location immediately after she receives the funds. The only delay holding her from coming for the pick up is the moving funds
So I require the following details from you today........
1. The MTCN # on the western union receipt.
2. Sender 's name and address used in sending the money
3. Actual amount sent.
4. A scan copy of the receipt.
Many Thanks.
Ashley.

P.S
Your Tracking Information
Last Scan: 12/23/2011 9:57:00 AM DELIVERED VISTA, CA US
VISTA, CA US
Delivered To: VISTA, CA US
Delivery Date: Friday, December 23, 2011
Delivery Time: 9:57 AM
Delivery Location: MAT/FRONT
Carrier: UPS
Service: PRIORITY MAIL
UPS Tracking Number: J2130588157

I just sent the person the following email;

I just sent you the above email, unfortunately I am voiding this transaction before it goes any further. I wanted to do one last check and I Google your email address and the following was found under http://www.scamwarners.com. I cannot afford to get caught up in this.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information.
Advertisement

#224405 by Bryon Williams Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners smmrsstuff,

I am happy information here helped you avoid a scam attempt.

May I ask that in the future do not inform the scammer he is posted on an Anti-Fraud Site. When this is done the posting is no longer good for any warnings.

The scammer will take 5 minutes out of his life and get a new email address from a free email provider. We will only learn of his new fake name and email address when a victim or potential victim post it again.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#224409 by HillBilly Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:45 pm
smmrsstuff wrote:Hello xxxxxxx,
According to UPS Courier Service, I am made to believe the check was delivered to you today at 9:57 AM on the Mat.
I want you to go ahead with cashing the check,Take it to your bank and cash it into your bank account. Deduct the cost of the dress and have the excess funds sent to my mover. My mover will use the funds as the shipping funds in coming for the pickup at your location. So these are your next steps for now....
1. Have the check cashed out at your bank.
2. Deduct the $300 for the dress and Take the remaining $2050.00 to the nearest Western Union agent around you. You should find one agent at Walmart.
3. Send the $2050.00 to my mover, Jennifer Willis, at Western Union, You can deduct the Western Union sending fees from the $2050.00. Send it to...
JENNIFER WILLIS
Bronx, NY 10457
4. Write me an email with the ''MTCN Number'' and the total amount sent with the senders full name and address
I am counting on your honesty and trustworthiness to have this transaction well taken care of today.
My mover, Jennifer Willis will be on her way to your location for the pickup upon recieving the funds at Western Union today. The earlier you email the details to me, the faster and earlier she comes for the pickup.
I await the Western Union transfer details in your next response.
My Warmest Regards,
Ashley.

P.S
You can deduct an extra $50 for the stress and your run around to and from Western Union.

A "check" was actually delivered to me, but I had already realized it was a scam, so I didn't respond.

Several days later, I received the following email:

Hello xxxxx,
How are you, just wondering why you've not responded with the Western Union details, because i need an update on the transaction as my mover is ready to do the pickup of the dress, also i will be returning home soon and will so much appreciate it if the dress is delivered before my arrival. Really appreciate what you are doing for me.
Regards,
Ashley.

I still did not respond and received the following email several days later:

I Know for sure with no doubt that the check payment was delivered to you via UPS Courier on Friday. I need to know if you've already cashed and sent the excess funds via Western Union to my mover, Jennifer Willis
She promised to be at your location immediately after she receives the funds. The only delay holding her from coming for the pick up is the moving funds
So I require the following details from you today........
1. The MTCN # on the western union receipt.
2. Sender 's name and address used in sending the money
3. Actual amount sent.
4. A scan copy of the receipt.
Many Thanks.
Ashley.

P.S
Your Tracking Information
Last Scan: 12/23/2011 9:57:00 AM DELIVERED VISTA, CA US
VISTA, CA US
Delivered To: VISTA, CA US
Delivery Date: Friday, December 23, 2011
Delivery Time: 9:57 AM
Delivery Location: MAT/FRONT
Carrier: UPS
Service: PRIORITY MAIL
UPS Tracking Number: J2130xxx157

Hi and welcome to scamwarners, smmrsstuff.

If the fake check came in the US Mail, report it to your US Postal Inspector's office. Here is the online form :
http://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx or locate your nearest office, make copies of everything, and hand the USPI the originals. Find your local office here ; http://locator.uspis.gov/locator/ and above all else, do not cash or attempt to cash or deposit the fake check

#233997 by rachel3189 Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 pm
I was selling a wedding dress also and got a reply from [email protected] (i guess they changed the number in the address) with the same exact message about wanting to buy the dress, however, the person really insisted that I reply with my personal email. Obviously I knew this was a scam from that moment and haven't replied back. Glad you posted about this so I could be sure!
#245886 by bundhenk Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:19 pm
Thank you SO much for posting this. I got the same email verbatim about asking for my address. I'm glad you posted this...I hope they haven't gotten to too many unsuspecting people trying to sell their dresses.

Btw, my email was from [email protected] "Denlia Mark"...I'm sure they've used a ton of email aliases by now.
#262833 by lissag Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:53 pm
So glad you posted~! You may have informed them about the scam busters...but they didn't learn their lesson obviously. Didn't change their names much! I had a bad feeling about this from the very beginning and insisted on Pay Pal...but they were very insistent. I was just going to stop the replies...but out of curiosity decided to google and found all this. I'll make sure to always follow my instincts! People suck! Thanks again!