If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#4100 by Seng Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:01 pm
My father-in-law got taken for a large amount of money by someone who claimed to be with Reader's Digest Sweepstakes. It was the classic advance-fee fraud that he fell for.

He's also been involved in a slightly-modified recovery scam after the initial one was done, but he's pushed back at all of their requests for him to send money (for the "real" prize check of $1.5 million, whereas the original scam was a mere $500 thousand.)

To me, it feels like he's still got some hope of some prize, but that thought has been deflated a bit over the past week or so due to someone from Publisher's Clearinghouse calling him telling him he'd won that one, too.

Is there someone here that I could PM his name and phone number for a warning call?
Advertisement

#4101 by Dan Jones Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:18 pm
Hey Seng, glad to see you've registered here.

I've read the whole story over on 419eater and am glad he seems to be wising up about this.

Regarding the warning: I'm sure a phone warner will become apparent soon, but it might help if you post what country (USA?) and state you are in to help them find the correct person for the job.

Now the initial winning notification came through the post didn't it? Would it be possible to get a scan of that and any other details of the scammer, email addresses, phone number, names etc? I'm guessing you don't have access now, but if/when you do, please post as it might help other victims.

Once again, i'm sorry for your father in law loosing his money like this, but i'm very thankful that you have stepped up to the plate to try and help him. You should be proud that you have.

#4104 by Seng Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 pm
Newdonym wrote:
Regarding the warning: I'm sure a phone warner will become apparent soon, but it might help if you post what country (USA?) and state you are in to help them find the correct person for the job.

Now the initial winning notification came through the post didn't it? Would it be possible to get a scan of that and any other details of the scammer, email addresses, phone number, names etc? I'm guessing you don't have access now, but if/when you do, please post as it might help other victims.

He's in the Genoa, Illinois (USA) area. I, myself, am in Moline, IL. The scammer appears to have been operating out of Jamaica, given the 876 area code.

I'm still a little fuzzy as to whether the original scam was by (US) mail, or by phone. None of it was by email that I know of. Here's what info I've gleaned so far (by no means is it complete):

The 'You actually won more' part of the scam actors
"Mr. L e n g" - Some sort of Vice President in Rea der's D i g e s t (RD).
"J a son Sp e n c er" - Internal Fraud Investigator (RD) - Alleged phone number of 8 7 0 - 4 4 7 - 9 1 2 8
Mention of some General Secretary - Jamaica phone - 8 7 6 - 8 9 7 - 2 4 9 5.

The original scam actors
D a n (or Da n n y) L i t t le - Alleged accountant
T r u n d J o hn so n - Alleged accountant/lawyer/financial officer.
S t e v en P o r ter - Accountant from D a y t o n C o u r i e r s, allegedly out of Ohio (This was the one thing pa-in-law "verified" as true, and fell for everything else as gospel).

The second act had them saying the two accountants had vanished, taking winners' information with them, as well as all of the winning checks. The investigator called mentioning the original accountants' names, making it look like there was a legitimate internal problem with RD. He told Pa-in-law that he was actually supposed to win 1.5 million, not 500 thousand.... First thing out of his mouth was a $2000 attorney's fee to secure the funds. At least he threw up a red flag right away.

#4107 by Julia Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:53 pm
Welcome Seng

Someone will give your dad a call. Please send a pm to me with the phone number of your dad.

#4108 by Ralph Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:17 am
Welcome Seng,

Glad you made it over,

Dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

While Julia is organising the phone call please feel free to look around, that way when talking to your friends and family about this you can also direct them to the relevant information on the subject.

Please get you wife to take a look here, the information and advice will help her to understand what her dad is going through

#4113 by Seng Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:38 pm
PM has been sent to Julia... Thanks!