If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#237005 by chahlii Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:08 pm
Hi fellow ScamWarner members. I don't know if this is the right place or not but I just needed to vent out. I've never been duped so hard in my life until this happened to me. I was selling a laptop on eBay and on the first day, I lowered my price to lower the competition. The next day I ended up getting a text from a person who was offering $100 more than what I asked for. Of course, I accepted the offer. I was told to send the user a money request on PayPal, and I did. After waiting for the money, it has been pending and still is today, I kept asking the person to send the money before I ship off the package. She told me that she did and later I got 3 emails from "Service@paypal®.com <[email protected]>" and it looked pretty legitimate to me. However, I did not realize the ® symbol...

It looked a little convincing to me. When I was selling my merchandise, I clicked the option "no international buyers" and after I read the email, I found out that the location was in Nigeria.

This is a snip from the same email, it claims that I have to send the tracking number to the specified email so that I may receive my credits. It also claimed that the money already came out of the buyer's account. Of course, I believed the email as I thought it was from the official PayPal.

And this last image was the last email I received from the fake PayPal. I waited 4 days and still nothing was on my account. I called USPS to try and intercept the package but it was too late. I was told that they could not do that as it was already on transit. The entire time I did exactly what they wanted me to do. They made me wait so that it was already too late for me to claim anything back. I called PayPal and they confirmed that nobody paid me anything. I called eBay and was told that I could not receive a refund and that in the future, at least now I know not to ship something out before receiving payment. But I was SCAMMED. What can I do about that?! How was I supposed to know that the entire time I was following the directions of a scammer? It's my first time selling something on eBay and I don't get any assurance? Other people get refunds for the most silly reasons and yet I have nothing to receive as compensation from eBay? I really hope these scammers rot in hell :bondage: . It was my mom's laptop that she did not want anymore and it was still in the condition of almost brand new. I feel stupid for being scammed the way I did. They even included my name in the email, even though most fake PayPal emails will usually say "Dear PayPal User." I hope nobody else falls for the same trick as I have. Even before I shipped the item off, the man at the post office even said Nigeria is a big fraud country... And now I found this website.

The phone number the scammer used to text me is +16233491416. If anybody could do the honors to find out what area code this number came from that would be greatly appreciated :beer: . This person claimed the laptop was for her daughter and the address led to Nigeria, so I don't know how an international number would be texting me. :x She goes by the name "Rose Wilson." She never mentioned to me anything about Nigeria or anybody else and the person the shipment is going to goes by the name "Scott Amechi," who again, was never mentioned.

That ends my vent, I'm sorry for leaving such a long post.
Advertisement

#237012 by Bryon Williams Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:54 pm
Hello chahlii,

I am sorry that you are a victim of this scam. There is nothing Ebay nor Paypal can do for you. It is not their fault.

I am curious though of how the scammer was able to text you??

The clue is not the ® symbol it is this email address [email protected] . The scammer when he set up the free email address he used the name of Service@paypal®.com it is only a name. Like for example "chahlii victim" < [email protected]>
"Service@paypal®.com <[email protected]>" and it looked pretty legitimate to me. However, I did not realize the ® symbol

This would have prevented the buyer to bid or do a buy it now. (Note he could change his IP, however you would see the shipping address.) You could then report the buyer. However, your transaction was off Ebay. He also would have got a message from Ebay to pay. There was no need for you to send an invoice. The scammer needed an email address to send you the fake payment.
When I was selling my merchandise, I clicked the option "no international buyers" and after I read the email, I found out that the location was in Nigeria

Report it to IC3 http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
What can I do about that?

Keep your transaction and all communication on ebay site. I would not push it much more with Ebay. They can cancel your account for violating the terms and conditions.
Other people get refunds for the most silly reasons and yet I have nothing to receive as compensation from eBay?

Yes, you gave them your name. In phishing attempts you are correct.
They even included my name in the email, even though most fake PayPal emails will usually say "Dear PayPal User."

Scammers will often use free texting services to text or Voip.
The phone number the scammer used to text me is +16233491416

Be careful selling on ad sites like Craigslist it can happen there also. This same scam works with fake checks and money orders.

You will never get your laptop back or any compensation. Beware of Recovery Scams. This is where the scammer may write you and promise to recover your money. This to will be a scam.

This same scammer may write you in the future demanding money from you for some odd excuse. Just ignore the emails.

If you have any further questions please ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#237018 by HillBilly Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:31 pm
Sorry you were scammed.

(623) 349-1416
Google Voice VoIP in Phoenix, AZ http://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-623-349-1416

basically, anyone with a gmail account can get a Google Voice #, and claim they are anywhere in the world Google #'s exists. You can not find them if that is your hope by tracing the #....

#237109 by chahlii Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:24 pm
Thank you guys so much for the responses. This experience has been quite a ride. I am grateful that I was able to find ScamWarners through the help of the nice members of 419Eater. I will graciously send a report to IC3 so that if this person is indeed in Arizona, at least it is better than doing nothing. You guys have made me feel much better and I greatly appreciate it!
#237110 by chahlii Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:27 pm
Bryon Williams wrote:Hello chahlii,

I am sorry that you are a victim of this scam. There is nothing Ebay nor Paypal can do for you. It is not their fault.

I am curious though of how the scammer was able to text you??

To answer that question, I have my contact number and email on my eBay account so that buyers may contact me. I practically filled in the blanks that eBay asked me to provide. The last thing I would have thought of was being scammed on my first merchandise sale. :(
#237111 by Bryon Williams Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:30 pm
Your scammer is in W. Africa. Lagos, Nigeria that is why he wanted you to send him the laptop there.

The phone number is Google Voice a Voip. Which means the caller or receiver just needs a computer to answer the phone or make calls.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#237118 by HillBilly Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:28 pm
to add to what BW is saying, if the only contact info you provide is for the buyers/sellers contact you through eBay, then all of the conversations are on eBay servers and if there ever is any discrepancy for any reason.... eBay / PayPal can find the conversations on their servers and see exactly what took place and when.

It protects you and the person you are dealing with by only using eBay "mail" in the long run.

#237393 by Luattran Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:27 am
I unfortunately fell for the same scam last week in the same way :( i also got all those emails and sent my laptop to Lagos, Nigeria and called USPS too late so they couldn't recall my package. I'm so bummed that i didn't find this post sooner. Now i have no laptop to do my homework and no money to pay back my books :evil: . I guess the only good thing is that i'm not the only one in this situation although that's not a good thing at all. Thanks for posting you guys!