If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#31464 by VRed Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:44 pm
Up until yesterday I didn't know there was such thing as romance scam...I was talking to this guy, Richard Clooney, who contacted me via eHarmony, for about a month, and while part of me was always suspicious about the way he writes and the things he says, the other part of me was falling for this handsome man in the photos he sent me...

Richard Clooney contacted me via eHarmony, we went through the whole introduction process, then I gave him my email address (he didn’t ask for it) and we started emailing and chatting on Yahoo or MSN messengers. [email protected] is his email. He said he wanted to meet (lives in Greenwich, CT) but I said we should talk on the phone a couple times first. He gave me a landline #203-930-8077 (registered in Greenwich CT but no name), tried calling from that number a couple times but the reception was extremely poor, plus his accent, I couldn’t understanding anything, so asked to call from his cell, he did but there was no number listed, “private caller” it said and he kept it very brief. I did call the landline number myself one time and he did answer, but the reception was still very poor. He said he got a temporary phone while working in UK, from which he had texted me, but never called from there, and when I offered to call him one time he said it's night time right now and my phone is turned off...+447553817246 is the number.

His story: he is Italian, his mother is American, he got his American name from his mom. He moved to USA about 8 years ago, married, has a son who will be 8 on November 5, but his wife Donna died from brain tumor some years ago. They used to live in Illinois, but he is now in Greenwich, CT with his son, and his grandmother who he calls Mom. He is an independent contractor for Shell, and also supplies leather to shoe/bag makers.

About 2 weeks ago he said he won a contract to go do some drilling in UK, the next day he flew to London, then traveled to North Sea where he was coordinating the whole drilling thing. I asked for the name of his oil rig he couldn’t tell me.

While we were chatting on messenger 2 days ago, at some point he said OMG, I just heard a loud noise, have to go, bye…

Yesterday morning he tells me he is in deep trouble, he left the machine on yesterday while he was talking with me, it broke and sunk. He needs to fix the problem ASAP, otherwise his license will get revoked, he will lose everything he’s been working for, and might even go to jail. There is this Chinese company that can come and fix the rig, but they don’t speak English. He needs to hire a translator who requires pay in advance, but he can’t pay him because he is on a boat in the Ocean. He asked me to send $1400 via Western Union to this guy in China and then email him the information. I said I had to go to a meeting, he said he had to go, too, and that’s where we left off yesterday.

Through all this time he’s been sending me emails (I will post copies, as copying one of them into Google brought me to this site), nice little poems, very cute. He said I was meant for him, other women took advantage of him, he said he leads some kind of church in Hartford. Yes lots of grammar errors, but he did say he is Italian so it did make sense. He always asked how my kids were doing, etc. One day, he said he was teaching his son to play the piano (I play piano, but I don’t remember telling him that).

I have about 6 photos from him, tried searching for them through one of the links provided on this site, no luck...Too bad, as the guy in the photos is reacly cute!

This whole thing looked fishy to me, but only from the point where he had to leave to go to UK. He did ask me at some point if I will come pick him up from the airport when he gets back, I said that would not be wise, he got upset. I did ask which airport he would be flying into, he said the nearest one, lol - now it makes sense that he didn’t know the local airport in CT.
Last edited by VRed on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#31467 by Jillian Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:15 pm
Welcome VRed. :D Thank you for taking the time to post this, it will help alert others. I'm glad that you've figured out this is a scam; it is definitely a scammer. Please read the topics in the romance scams forum to learn more about this type of scam. If you have no already done so, please stop all contact with the scammer and don't let him know why you were able to identify him as a scammer, we don't want him to improve his methods. Also be on the lookout for any other suspicious emails, the same scammer may try to scam you in other ways with new names.

You are very welcome to post his pictures here. We prefer that they be marked with "Used by a scammer" so that scammers can't copy them from here and further use them. Obviously the man in the pictures is innocent and not a scammer. For information on how to post pictures, please see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#31469 by VRed Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 pm
Thank you Jillian :)
I have blocked him where I could, obviously can't stop him from sending me an email, but so far so good, I had no contact from him since yesterday morning.

Here are some IP addresses his emails were coming from (sorted by date, oldest to newest)

98.136.44.47 UNITED STATES Routing
216.252.122.216 UNITED STATES Routing
67.195.9.82 UNITED STATES Routing
67.195.9.99 UNITED STATES Routing
127.0.0.1 N/A Local Host
216.66.59.41 UNITED STATES Probable Origin IP

IP Country Parse Result Research
68.142.206.40 UNITED STATES Routing
209.191.108.97 UNITED STATES Routing
98.137.27.132 UNITED STATES Routing
67.195.9.104 UNITED STATES Routing
127.0.0.1 N/A Local Host
69.31.101.63 UNITED STATES Probable Origin IP

67.195.23.153 UNITED STATES Routing
98.137.27.132 UNITED STATES Routing
98.137.27.130 UNITED STATES Routing
127.0.0.1 N/A Local Host
216.66.59.47 UNITED STATES Probable Origin IP

98.138.85.162 UNITED STATES Routing
217.175.73.2 UNITED KINGDOM Probable Origin IP

98.138.85.148 UNITED STATES Routing
82.128.112.17 NIGERIA Scammer IP Block

98.138.85.163 UNITED STATES Routing
209.107.204.13 UNITED STATES Probable Origin IP

I will work on posting the photos...
#31471 by VRed Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 pm
Here are some of the photos...

I have some with his relatives, in a hot air ballon, on a motorcycle, etc....
#31472 by VRed Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:49 pm
Here are some of the emails...

Hi ___, My apologies for taking so long to get back to you I had an event at church last night and work so I got a bit busy, so again my apologies! Jesus is my Love, Joy, Comfort and Provider.

I am a leader in my church, on the men's counsel and I lead a ministry called 7Fourteen from 2 Chronicles 7:14. My heart's desire is to get the church of Christ Jesus praying. Praying in salvation for the lost, healing from the broken and unity among our brethren.

Throughout your life, what experiences do you feel contributed most to the person that you have become today?

My salvation, those that are forgiven much love much. When I finally allow Jesus in He transformed me from rags to the riches of His kingdom and made me into an amazing man i am! Though I know He is not done with me yet.... smile!

If you were allowed to describe yourself as a person using three to four words, what would they be?

Child at heart. I am fun and sweet, BIG SMILE!!!

Richard.

Hey __, how are you doing? Hope you are doing pretty fine. I couldn’t just fall back to sleep, and I would like to thank you for taking out time to chat with me last evening, and please forgive me for what happened , it’s just that I was pretty tired, and had to go to bed leaving the computer on. So tell me what are your plans for today? I really enjoy chatting you last time a lot. I would like to continue this with you...You have qualities in a Woman that I would treasure...Least I forget I called you last time, and wasn’t hearing you pretty fine..
Communication as you know is very important to me. First in getting to know one another this is very valuable. But the important part of communicating is being honest. We can talk and talk and make you look and sound good but unless we are completely honest we will not be disappointed when the time comes to finally meet each other in person. I have lived now for an awhile and have traveled many places and therefore I feel I have learned to accept myself for who I am.
I always try to be a good person to myself and others. I perfer people who are nice, kind, respectful and honest. People who view themselves better than others or think they are I do not like. I want to find a woman who respects her self. A woman who takes care of herself mentally, spirituallly and physcially. I want a woman who is willing to work hard at our relationship. Someone who will contribute to improving and helping us grow together and as a family. While we are able she needs to and wants to work hard (like I will) to have nice things in life and to work hard so we can be comfortable together in order to enjoy ourselves.
We must be the example for our child in raising a family and she must be the woman I will love forever. There is so much more I could tell you but I will end here. I only hope you can understand where I am coming from. Again, speaking of age - I am at a point in my life - where I do not want to play games. I have opened myself to you and would like to know more about you and see other pictures of you. So please send me a new recent picture of yourself. I hope to hear from you soon. Take Care.

Hey baby, How are you doing today? Hope you are doing great.I need you to know my Interview was successful, and thanks for your prayers and everything. I would really like to get to know and learn more about you, Baby you seems to be the kind of woman i have been searching for all my life and i hope that someday we can meet in person. Baby Can you be my Queen??? And Can I be Your King; I have good feelings and good intentions towards you. Baby Can I Trust You with My Heart? Cos its seems that I've found a new love full of passion which has come to make me blind When I found a special someone In a love that's hard to find Nowadays.

You've swept off my feet From the very start when I first saw your picture and profile ,Your sexy look got me so attracted to you and I was so amazed that you responded to me on eharmony, Baby I know we just met but I’m really into you.. But before we go much further, I need to know if I Can I trust you with my heart? with what I have been through in the past with women treating me like shit and taking me for a ride, I have trust issues with women but if you assure me that I can trust you with my heart then I’m willing to Open my heart to you and give you all my trust and love, Also be assured baby that you can trust me with your heart because I will never hurt yours feelings or let you down.

I want to make you happy, You've combined fantasy with reality Even though we're a little miles apart, My heart is curious , Baby I really need to know if I Can I trust you with my heart? Can I share my worries with you? Can you handle my fears I bestow? Can I count on you to walk with me down a long and winding road? I don't want a promise of which there's no guarantee, without you breaking it on me? My heart's vowed never to fall in love again But meeting you it's weakened & has come to surrender, To be held in your tender hands And mended back together. But I hope you can understand that I don't want to go too far without knowing just one answer . . . Can I trust you with my heart? I can’t wait to hear back from you... Take care and stay sweet for me, I will be thinking of you. HUGSS AND KISSES UUMMUUAAHH!!!

Cheers,
Richard.
#31474 by VRed Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:56 pm
Some more :)

I hope you've had a good weekend. I was online for awhile Sat, but did not see you. last evening I fell asleep and I'm pretty tired now, so I'll probably go to bed early. My son had a sleepover on saturday and i went to drop him last night to her mom, because of my Interview in the morning ..

I do not know how to express the conflicting emotions that have surged like a storm through my heart all night long. I only know that first and foremost in all my thoughts has been the glorious confirmation you gave me last time we chatted - without effort, unconsciously, of course - of all I have ever thought of your mind and heart.

I think you have a good heart and thanks for being your natural self...

I try to put this feeling into words, but fail miserably. This feeling of being both scared and at peace, of having both butterflies and a sense of calm, is a feeling that I have only dreamed about. As the days continue to pass, my feelings for you continues to grow. I never thought I had the capacity to love again since i was hurt. Yet, my heart has come to surrender since saturday if i'm not mistaken.. I gotta go back to bed, and i will talk to you in the morning before i leave for my Interview...

Hey __, Good morning! How are you doing? I know you must be sleeping by now. I finished working by 4am, had 3 hours sleep, and ready to go back to work now, cos it’s 7am now..

Well, I need you to know that you have always been on my mind like mad. The very first day I saw your profile on Eharmony, I knew you were such a wonderful lady. It has been so long since a woman has captured my attention so fully or made my heart beat the way it did that cool day we chatted first. Your smile on pics lights up my entire spirit. Your way of approaching things fills me with joy, and your mere presence will warm any room. I have no doubt you are the woman Heaven has made especially for me.

If only I could have come up with the right words to describe the depth of this beautiful feeling that I have for you, I would have whispered them to you last night we chatted before I went back to work. The best thing that I can do is to show you when we get to meet real soon.

Each day that passes makes the bond grow stronger. Although I know it’s hard for us to be apart, I know there is nothing that can keep us apart forever. Our desires will continue to stretch across any distance, over every mountain and ocean between us. Nothing can stand between us, and nothing will stop me from meeting you in person when I get back home after my contract.

We never could tell what the future holds for us and nothing can ever keep us from our destiny. I miss you more every day. I am here with open arms where you will some day finally arrive... right where you belong…I got to go back to work now, and I will look for you during my lunch .Take care.

How are you doing today? I know you are doing pretty fine. It's Sunday morning here. I just summoned all my workers for a brief prayers before we leave for work today so that God would lead and direct us in his own way.

Well, I know that sometimes you feel that this relationship wouldn't work, because of the distance that lies between us, I admit that is true, but then, I would remember the time when I asked the Lord before we met, to give me someone I could love with all my heart and would love me in return, someone I can grow old with to spend my happy and lonesome memories, someone who I can call mine and give myself into, and someone whom I can spend the rest of my life with through all ups and downs, for better or worse. And that's when I always realize that God asked me to chose you among all the women that was matched with me on the Eharmony; the answer to my prayer. And I thank Him that for all the millions of women on Eharmony and Hartford, He leads you to me.

I promise that whatever struggles we have to endure in our relationship, I would still hold onto this relationship because I believe that this is just the way of God to teach us to be strong and faithful to each other. That after this my contract we will be together and start our new life together with a better future ahead of us. I thank God for you and thank you for being you. I have true feelings for you now and I'm sure I'll even more tomorrow ..I got to leave for work now and i will keep in touch during lunch time..Take pretty care of yourself and the kids for me..
#31479 by Dotti Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:42 pm
gave me a landline #203-930-8077 (registered in Greenwich CT but no name)

Here's the info on the phone number:

Number billable as geographic number
Country or destination United States
City or exchange location Greenwich, CT
Original network provider* Global Crossing Local Services, Inc.-ct

Now let's look at the provider, Global Crossing:

Global Crossing can provide you the telecommunications solution to meet your needs. Our integrated, global IP-based network was designed for the convergence of voice, video and data, and delivers services virtually anywhere on the planet - quickly, securely, reliably. But more than that, we have a global team of telecommunications professionals dedicated to helping your business grow and succeed.

In other words, this number appears to be a landline, but is really voip. The scammer is using it to support the story that he is from the US. In reality, he is answering the phone from a computer in his native Nigeria (which is why the reception was so poor).

Now looking at the UK phone:
He said he got a temporary phone while working in UK, from which he had texted me, but never called from there, and when I offered to call him one time he said it's night time right now and my phone is turned off...+447553817246 is the number

While on occasion an African scammer may get hold of a real UK cellphone, more likely he does not have access to the phone at all. It is significant that he texted and never called from the number--it is incredibly easy to fake the phone number in a text--in fact, there are plenty of websites that allow you to send a text message and just type in the "from" number. It's not so easy to do that with a voice call. Basically, he didn't want you to call the phone because the real owner might answer it!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#31480 by VRed Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 pm
Wow, interesting stuff! I did try calling the UK number one time, it wasn't connecting at all.

How do they make the IP address in email headers to show as if it originated from USA? Only 1 of about 20+ emails I've checked showed as of Nigerian origin :?:
#31500 by Ralph Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:34 pm
Hi VRed, I am glad you know its a scam, great news.

I will not explain here how a scammer would manipulate his IP but it is quite possible and easily done when you know how (alledgedly, one of our more computer savvy members keeps telling me ;) ) and we are seeing an increasing number of scammers who are doing it.

Sometimes the headers will still show clues that the IP has been manipulated, if you would liek to post a header, not the one showing the Nigerian IP and we may be able to explain a little more.

The only IP that was correct from what you have posted above was this one 82.128.112.17 NIGERIA
#31840 by cautious Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:49 am
Hi,

This same person has contacted me day before yesterday via Qiran and yesterday gave me his yahoo ID to add him, by chance I typed it in MSN and found your wonderful site. Thank-you I will block him, by the way I am in the midddle East and just goes to show how international these guys are!

This is his profile details and he is using the same picture as you have posted.

This is his profile information:
A little about me. How do you write something about yourself, not sound conceded and still not sell yourself short? Oh well, I'll try. I seem to have alot going for myself, a decent income, career field, friends, and the usual stuff. But I seem to have trouble finding a woman that is not only my best friend, my favorite and closest companion, but also a woman that will stick by me when things aren't going good. I enjoy being outside on a sunny day, but can always sacrifice a sunny day to spend indoors with my woman. I like to hang out at least one night a week, I'm an honest and calm natured guy. I hate to argue, there are too many other things I can spend that engery on than arguing! I guess I'm just an average guy, with average likes and dislikes. I like to treat people as I would like to be treated myself. This means "NO CHEATING", it's not something I even consider I speak my mind, I speak the truth and I am always honest. If you are the same, please drop me a line. I am a LOYAL and Honest man. My word means as much or more to me, than by those I give it to. I love swimming, playing badminton and hiking, and love reading which i do when i have a bit fail of time to spend on my own without wanting to go out or let anyone know i am in. My father is Originally a German while my mom is an America.

Thanks again,
Cautious
#31849 by David Jansen Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:37 am
Welcome here Cautious!

Thanks for posting his profile here, it will help safe others.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#31852 by cautious Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:57 am
Thanks David,

I have a question, should I inform Qiran about this or not? I would hate for someone to fall victim at the same time I dont want him to know its me who spoilt his ploy.

Also am in touch with another guy ..how do I make sure? there is a way to check with his IP address but I dont know how...can u help me with this?

Rgds//cautious