If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#4204 by BJ Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:58 am
Well, I fell for a dating scam hook, line and sinker. Met a guy on match.com, things sounded good. Even did searches on him online and found nothing out of the ordinary. Next thing I know he is in West Africa to establish a business. Things go well for a while, then he needs a few things to get the business up and running ... long story short, I fell for everything he told me, sent him laptops, money, etc. Thought that I never would fall for something like this, can't believe I have been so stupid. He has a 7 year old daughter which I fell for too and of course may or may not be true, my guess is not true. Anyhow, I'm out tons of money which I know I will never recover; however, now I have to notify all my banking institutions, credit card companies, etc. to ensure that he does not have access to anything in any way. His name (or alias) is William Harold Walker, [email protected]. Can be posing also as (or have a partner) by the name of Matthew Mensah, [email protected]. I can't tell you the stupidity I feel as well as the embarassement. I hope that he will be caught and prosecuted to the fullest and hopefully he has not done this to any other women; however, he's good and I'm sure I'm not the first. The only satisfaction I will get out of this, besides a huge life lesson, is that I can save some other woman from him or anybody like him.
Advertisement

#4206 by Ralph Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 am
hi BJ,
welcome to scamwarners

I am so sorry to hear you have lost money, it sounds like you have done all the right things since finding out it was a scammer.

I presume you have ceased contact already

Be aware of recovery scams, scammers will target those who have previously sent money with a variety of scams most commonly a recovery scam, we have a section on that here that I recommend you take a look at.

Dont feel like this is your fault, it's not and many people fall for the love scammers so you are certainly not alone.

Some bad news, there is virtually no change that the law will ever catch up with this individual, there are literaly hundreds of thousands of these scammers operating from around the world and those whos job it is to stop this are simple undersourced and have no jurisdiction if there were enough resources.

What you have done by posting his details is given somebody else the oportunity to find your post wit ha google search and hopefully prevent somebody else from going through the same as you.

If you could, the more information you can give the better, any alternate email addresses, his IP address, phone number, pictures and emails, (all with your details removed please) I will do a few searches on what you provide to try to find further information and I can also pass on his details to some very nice people at our sister site www.419eater.com who will attempt to cause him some misery by baiting him.

If you would like to learn more about romance scammers or about baiting love scammers then there is some very good information available here in our love scams section or in the romance section at 419 eater that may interest you, for convenience I have placed a link to the baiting information HERE

Thank you for posting, it has taken courage to do this and you should be commended

If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask

I will continue to try a few searches and keep editing here as I find information.

Search on "wwalker15" Click here
I am not sure if any of the hits I got searching for ( "matthew mensah" scam ) are relevant, but Click Here to see if it is
#4209 by BJ Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:01 am
I have ceased all contact with this William Walker although he has text me twice this AM. His cell phone number is 011233245316775. Matthew Mensah (if there is such a person) phone number is 00233246124859 although the number is not a good one. Mr. Walker poses to be Norweigian, 48 years old, is a computer programmer living in Silver Springs MD. He is suppose to have a 7 year old daughter named Kim. Also, in addition to the other information, there is another gentleman named Jonathan Abane (who may or may not be Mr. Walker too); however, I do not know any other information about him.

#4210 by Ralph Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 am
Sorry, I do want lots fom you. :wink:

If you have any emails, particularly early ones
His dating site profile or some pictures.

I just did a search on the phone numbers but no luck :cry: I will try a few other searches and see what I can find
#4211 by BJ Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:21 am
I have only a few e-mails, actually the original two that were generated through match.com, but cannot access them at this moment. Will have to wait until later, but will definitely post them.

#4213 by benjamin Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:40 pm
Hi BJ and welcome.

Above all, don't feel stupid or embarrassed! These guys are professional conmen, and also the lowest of the low as they prey either on people who are very vulnerable (after divorce etc), or people who are prepared to see the good in someone. Their stories can be very convincing if you haven't heard them before and seen these scams in action.
It's great that you were able to come here and tell your story, which may help someone else from falling for it. Having the courage (as Ralph said) to do that should outweigh any feelings of stupidity.
The rest I'll leave to Ralph :)
#4214 by BJ Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:14 pm
Ralph/Benjamin ... thanks for the encouragement. I have contacted my bank and they were just as understanding as you have been and all my accounts should now be safe. Tonight I will contact the ID theft service at my bank to put an additional lock on my accounts and will also contact LIFELOCK again to advise of what I have done today. They assisted me last night and I am thankful for that. I will always have doubt now and will never fully trust anybody which is sad, but hopefully I can get over that in time. Like I said before, huge lesson learned.

#4220 by Chris Martins Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:34 pm
Hi BJ.

I'm very sorry to hear you were the victim of a scam. Please don't blame yourself. You sound like a trusting and good natured person. Unfortunately, there are parasites out there that feed on those good qualities.

I doubt the caution you will exercise in future relationships will take away from your good qualities. There is room for both.

Thanks for sharing your story. Perhaps someone will come across it and be spared the hardship you had to endure.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke