Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#225794 by emily64 Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:20 pm
Wow, okay this one was a difficult one. I've never been employed before so coming across a job that was beneficial to my future career AND one that pays well from my home was an awesome find.. or was it? Seeing as how I’ve never had a job before, I’m a little bit inexperienced to almost anything and everything. I applied for a job listing on internships.com. They messaged me back and said that I needed a gmail account so that I can get on hangouts to get further information.

At first the job listing was “Data entry clerk” for ALLH. Then they changed it to Administrative Support.
It was online and I’m an accounting major and the requirements weren’t that much. I decided to apply for it. Just for kicks.

I added the HR manager and I sent her an IM through hangouts.
First she introduced herself and asked for my full name and present location so that I can be registered.
She went through the company’s history and then told me I had to do an online interview. When asked when she wanted to schedule the interview she said right now. I asked for a rain check and she complied.

The following is our interview:
(Full time/Part time) which do you prefer as we currently have both available?
Heather

Mon, 6:03 PM
Part time as I also have school responsibilities but would definitely be able to do both.
Mon, 6:04 PM

Ok, noted.
How long have you been Job hunting?
Heather

Mon, 6:05 PM
I've been job hunting for about two weeks.
Mon, 6:06 PM

Ok
Are you currently employed ?
Heather

Mon, 6:08 PM
Yes, I teach kids how to take care of and ride horses for an hour or two about every other week.
Mon, 6:09 PM

Ok
Why do you want this job?
Heather

Mon, 6:10 PM
The company's and mine's objections are almost identical. Putting others first has always been my number one top priority. You've told me that you, the company, reaches out to others in the pharmaceutical department, giving them the attention they deserve. I would love to be a part of this business as it continues to grow and do great things.
Mon, 6:11 PM

Ok
Are you aware this is strictly an online and work from home job?
Heather

Mon, 6:13 PM
Yes I am. This is convenient for me as well, since I am available to use my computer even when I am at school so if something needs to be done I can do it almost immediately.
Mon, 6:14 PM

Ok
How many hours will you be able to devote for the company daily?
Heather

Mon, 6:17 PM
I would be able to devote at least 4 hours every day.
Mon, 6:21 PM

Ok, noted.
How would you describe yourself?
Heather

Mon, 6:21 PM
I am someone who has a very creative mind. When I come up with plans I make sure that every possible angle and outcome is looked at so that I may choose the best possible way of going about things in that particular situation.
Mon, 6:24 PM

Ok
Give a good example of the way you set goals and get them.
Heather

Mon, 6:26 PM
First, I would create and set a goal that is valuable and relevant in my life and or job. I would make sure I would write them down and then write the steps to completing that goal. One by one I would mark off leading me closer to completing it.
Mon, 6:31 PM

OK
What was the last project you headed up, and what was its outcome?
Heather

Mon, 6:31 PM
From personal experience, a previous horse trainer gave me one of her kids to teach. She had been riding for about a year but she couldn't do much on her own and came with a lot of bad habits. By the end of her 3rd month riding with me, she was able to do almost everything by herself under my complete instruction and supervision.
Mon, 6:38 PM

OK
Have you worked as an accounting clerk /payroll officer /Customer service or data entry clerk before ?
Heather

Mon, 6:40 PM
I have not, no.
Mon, 6:40 PM

Ok
Do you have a printer, scanner, and a copier?
Heather

Mon, 6:42 PM
I do. All 3 in working order.
Mon, 6:43 PM

Ok
How much training do you think you need to become a productive employee? (We offer a week training once you have been employed)
Heather

Mon, 6:43 PM
A weeks time with a supervisor/trainer would be sufficient. I pick up on things quickly and if I am able to be hands on while training I am able to understand the job easier and quicker that way.
Mon, 6:45 PM

Ok, good.
Give me an example that best describes your organizatonal skills?
Heather

Mon, 6:48 PM
For school and teaching horse lessons, I have a journal/planner. Everything that I need to do get's written in it with dates and specific times so that I am able to follow it to a tee.
Mon, 6:50 PM

Ok
How long are you expected to work for us if hired ?
Heather

Mon, 6:51 PM
You stated in the job details via internships.com that it would be until 11/03/15. I am perfectly capable of working until that date or even further than that if needed.
Mon, 6:53 PM
Ok
How do you handle work under pressure?
Heather

Mon, 6:54 PM
If there is a lot of work that needs to be done, I usually prioritize it. I will take the most important task, finish it, and then move on to the next. If there are smaller tasks that needs to be done I can divide my attention up so that I can get both of those done in the time it would take me to get one done. When I know everything is organized it keeps the stress level down for everyone involved, keeping the atmosphere more relaxed rather than hyped up so that others and myself are able to get the tasks done efficiently.
Mon, 6:59 PM

Good.
What is your greatest strength and weakness?
Heather

Mon, 7:08 PM
My greatest strength is that my time management skills are excellent. I'm well organized and efficient. When I set a schedule I'm going to follow it through 100%. My weakness is that I've had difficulty with taking graded tests. I get extremely anxious therefore I don't always exceed in the testing area. However, I have realized that working myself up will not only work against me, but also work against my future. I am now able to relax and focus at the task at hand, trying not to hold myself to an extreme standard for the grade. Resulting in a better effort in turn, an overall improved grade.
Mon, 7:12 PM

OK
What kind of goals would you have in mind if you got this job?
Heather

Mon, 7:13 PM
Being able to finish the work in an organized, timely manner and making sure the customers leave satisfied with my support work.
Mon, 7:15 PM

OK
Do you have an idea of how to use ms excel and Do you know your typing speed?
Heather

Mon, 7:18 PM
Yes. I'm taking a class on how to use Excel at the moment and currently hold an A in the class. My typing speed is 80 WPM.
Mon, 7:19 PM

Good.
What do you understand by petty cash and what do you understand by privacy and code of conduct?
Heather

Mon, 7:19 PM
Petty cash is a small amount of cash on hand that is used for paying small amounts owed. An example would be reimbursing $20 for buying your groceries while they were out shopping. Privacy is the right for an individual to have complete confidentiality from anyone outside of those whole hold and record that particular information. Code of conduct is the set rules for responsibilities and practices of the company and it's employees. I understand that breaching this will result in disciplinary action and should not be taken lightly.
Mon, 7:25 PM

Ok, good.
Give me 3 genuine and specific reasons why you should be hired by the company.
Heather

Mon, 7:26 PM
I take pride in my patience. Any kind of repetitive, tedious work I can handle. When I type, I reread everything so that I can maintain full accuracy. As previously stated before, my typing speed is 80 WPM with little to no errors at all. I will be able to get the job done quick and efficiently but most importantly, accurate. Being patient also has a great deal with being able to enter data since sometimes you may have to be more patient with a customer who doesn't understand, or someone else who doesn't know a certain piece of information. Rather than having a short fuse, going about it patiently and calmly will give the customer security and happiness that the job is being taken care of and that there is no need to worry. I am diligent and show care and constant effort in making sure that the job gets done right.
Mon, 7:30 PM
Good.
How would you like to be paid if been offered this position. Via Direct Deposit, Credit card or check, what means of payment would you prefer weekly or Bi weekly?
Heather

Mon, 7:32 PM
I would like to be able to be paid via direct deposit weekly.
Mon, 7:36 PM
OK, noted.
Alright, we have come to the end of this interview session.

No red flags while this goes on since there’s no errors at all. And if there is, it’s too a minimal. She also does not ask me for my age (which I have found out that it’s illegal for employers to ask that kind of information). The very next day she congratulated me by telling me I’ve been hired, blah blah. I signed a letter of employment. Then she asked me what bank was and how long I’ve been with them. Today I found out that this is a red flag if they ask your bank. They told me they would send me a check so that I may get the software programs needed for my work. They explained that the reason behind them sending me the check, depositing it into my account, and then getting the programs myself would be much easier and faster than if the company sent all of it to me.
I was thinking okay that makes sense. I got an email from my supervisor and we exchanged a few email’s when he gave me a tracking number for a check.
These are the softwares to be purchased he listed in the email:
SAGE 50 COMPLETE ACCOUNTING,ACCOUNTEDGE,CYMA,QuickBooks Pro ,NetSuite Small Business 9.5 , Bookkeeper 2012,Simply Accounting Pro 2011,BS 1 Accounting software ,myob business essentials software 2011,For Peach Tree premium 2010 US Patent Single Users Pack, simply accounting 2010,Apple Final Cut Express 3.5 HD Upgrade,Norton Ghost 9.0, Standard Upgrade,Peach tree Premium Accounting 2011

When I read all of that I was look God. They are going to kill my computer with all of this. So I decided to do some research and see how big they were, how much they cost, ect. When I came up to myob business essentials software 2011 I came across this forum. Reading many of the postings I realized that this scamming like this was not an uncommon occurrence. I decided to further my investigation by first emailing the company from their official site. I got an “out of office” reply which basically means they have officially received my letter and will be looked at and replied to as soon as possible. I then tracked the IP address from first the HR manager, and found out it came from somewhere in California. I tracked the IP from the training department and it came from the same place. I also checked the tracking number for the check and noticed it came from Maryland. There are no offices for Alliance Healthcare there. I tracked the IP address from the out of office reply from the official site and since it wasn’t from a certain computer there was no IP to be given but comparing the two aside I noticed something.

This is from the Alliance Healthcare site:
Received: from alliance-healthcare.co.uk (mailhost.alliance-healthcare.co.uk. [IP ADDRESS])

This is from both the HR manager:
Received: from smtprelay.b.hostedemail.com (smtprelayer0135.b.hostedemail.com. [xx.xx.xx.135])

This is from the training department:
Received: from smtprelay.b.hostedemail.com (smtprelayer0135.b.hostedemail.com. [xx.xx.xx.50])

Even though the two are different IP addresses, they both came from the same exact originating IP.

When I messaged the HR manager asking about this she said that another office mailed the check out in the US for US trainees to get their money in time for training. When I asked about the same IP addresses she completely side tracked telling me that they need to protect the reputation of this company and that they are in no way shape or form associated with fraud behavior. She basically told me that it was none of my business researching IP addresses and that, and I quote, “Get your mind of that and focus so you can get connected with other trainees on your team”. When I asked again about the IP’s she logged off.
Advertisement

#225797 by vonpaso xlura Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:47 pm
Thanks for posting! Any time you are hired after only an online interview, it is a scam.

Could you post the complete headers and body of the emails? Someone may be looking for the email address, and it's easier to understand the IP address you found in context.

The list of software was clearly written by an African.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#225878 by emily64 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:02 pm
What I can't understand is that why would they be willing to send me a check, for fraud, and then have me purchase the programs with the money? Obviously it's not real but from everything I've read they are usually doing this to get into my bank account when clearly they still have no access over whatsoever.
Anyways. I never even received the check, it's been "in transit" via UPS since yesterday from the city over from me.

Here's some more information if anyone searches for it they'll be able to find it:
heather.barkwill @ alliance-healthcare.co
traindept @ alliance-healthcare.co
admin @ alliance-healthcare.co
Data Entry / Customer service accounting

Pre-training task email:
Below is your Pre-training task.

* You are expected to write an article on " How to manage Cash flow" (personal or business). This article should be at least 2 pages and it must be explanatory and precise. (The issue of managing Cash flow is a major one and we believe this article will be of help) Lets see your own point of view on this significant topic.

This will be reviewed and rated by the head of dept.

Notify me once this has been received.

* Time limit : 24hrs

Another thing I noticed was that the font and style of writing is different. Even though I'm getting this all from the out of office reply so it's not from another person, a professional working for a company for "14 years" should never be typing in bold, different font from the rest of the company. All emails *should* look the same with the same professionality (that's not a word..) to it. Just another thing for others to look out for.
#225879 by emily64 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 pm
Here is the original headers taken from the training department's email.
I crossed out my email for my own protection.

Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.112.60.201 with SMTP id j9csp705724lbr;
Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.107.166.136 with SMTP id p130mr6342768ioe.73.1414622584447;
Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:43:04 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from smtprelay.b.hostedemail.com (smtprelay0021.b.hostedemail.com. [64.98.42.21])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id m127si8442370ioe.41.2014.10.29.15.43.03
for <[email protected]>;
Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:43:03 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: temperror (google.com: error in processing during lookup of [email protected]: DNS timeout) client-ip=64.98.42.21;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=temperror (google.com: error in processing during lookup of [email protected]: DNS timeout) [email protected]
Received: from filter.hostedemail.com (b-bigip1 [10.5.19.254])
by smtprelay04.b.hostedemail.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 19BE47B617
for <[email protected]>; Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:43:03 +0000 (UTC)
X-Session-Marker:
747261696E696E676465707440616C6C69616E63652D6865616C7468636172652E636F
X-Spam-Summary: 2,0,0,,d41d8cd98f00b204,[email protected],:,RULES_HIT:41:152:355:379:582:962:988:989:1152:1189:1221:1260:1313:1314:1345:1359:1381:1437:1516:1517:1518:1534:1541:1575:1589:1594:1711:1714:1730:1777:1792:2527:2540:2559:2562:2691:2693:2917:3138:3139:3140:3141:3142:3350:3865:3866:3867:3868:3871:3872:3873:5007:6117:6119:6261:6678:7809:7882:7903:7974:8603:8784:8828:9080:9149:10004:10214:10226:10400:10848:11658:11914:12295:12517:12519:13071:13848:14093:14096:14347:21080,0,RBL:none,CacheIP:none,Bayesian:0.5,0.5,0.5,Netcheck:none,DomainCache:0,MSF:not bulk,SPF:fn,MSBL:0,DNSBL:none,Custom_rules:0:0:0
X-HE-Tag: verse98_54b150c3eda44
X-Filterd-Recvd-Size: 3388
Received: from mail.alliance-healthcare.co (imap-ext [64.98.36.5])
(Authenticated sender: webmail@[email protected])
by omf07.b.hostedemail.com (Postfix) with ESMTPA
for <[email protected]>; Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:43:01 +0000 (UTC)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="=_9be6e98828ca169d9164f3e71cf65799"
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:43:01 -0700
To: xx <[email protected]>
Subject: Pre-training task (Alliance Healthcare)
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
References: <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<CAD4Ja53W=ZMpuoja493VAi=fj6epT518ZZ+wqETgOVO7e7XnAg@mail.gmail.com>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-Sender: [email protected]
User-Agent: Roundcube Webmail/1.0.2
X-Originating-IP: [204.152.214.235]
#225880 by AlanJones Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:26 pm
emily64 wrote:What I can't understand is that why would they be willing to send me a check, for fraud, and then have me purchase the programs with the money?

They will tell you to purchase the software from a specific "supplier". The supplier is just the scammer using a different email address and he will ask you to pay for the software by Western Union/Moneygram. Once you send the money, it is gone and you won't get any software or hear from the scammer again.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#225881 by emily64 Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:36 pm
That makes sense because they were talking about how I was going to be purchasing these programs from a private vendor. I gave them personal information such as name, and address. If I just cut off all communications and forget about them, will that be good enough? They haven't even attempted to contact me and after the "HR manager" signed off I haven't heard back from them since. I have a feeling they are done with me since they didn't get far enough to scam me for my money but I've read that others have gotten threats from their scammers and I don't want that to happen to me or even have them steal my identity.
#225882 by HillBilly Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 pm
emily64 wrote: If I just cut off all communications and forget about them, will that be good enough?

Generally speaking, stopping contact is good enough, however, be aware that the possibility of them passing your info on to other scammers or the same scammer playing a different role as a possible target does exist. Be wary of any "new" contacts in your email box, or other means of contact you gave them for a while. Also expect a lot more "you have won ten million dollars" or "trunk box" and other typical 419 scams to be appearing in your inbox. These can also be posted here in the 419 section of this forum. Also see below.

emily64 wrote:They haven't even attempted to contact me and after the "HR manager" signed off I haven't heard back from them since. I have a feeling they are done with me since they didn't get far enough to scam me for my money but I've read that others have gotten threats from their scammers and I don't want that to happen to me or even have them steal my identity.

The chances of them being sophisticated enough to steal your ID are very small, however it is (and in my personal opinion), something you should always be on the look out for ( not just from this scammer, but all the time). I have had my ID stolen in the past, and it is a mess to clean up from. That was long before the internet was popular, too.

If you are really worried about your personal information, set up alerts here : https://www.google.com/alerts
put the information contained in quotes ( ergo "123 Main St" , not 123 Main St ), and make separate alerts for your name ("last name, First name" "First name Last name"), address, and whatever other information you gave ( phone #, email addy, etc), that you are concerned about. Its also a good way to find out what web sites have public information about you, that you can probably get it out of the publics eye with a simple request to be removed.

#225884 by vonpaso xlura Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:05 pm
alliance-healthcare.co is in the process of being reported for fraud.
Domain Registration Date Wed Aug 27 10:29:25 GMT 2014
Domain Expiration Date Wed Aug 26 23:59:59 GMT 2015
Domain Last Updated Date Wed Aug 27 10:29:25 GMT 2014
alliance-healthcare.co.uk appears to be genuine.
Registered on: 20-Jul-2006
Expiry date: 20-Jul-2016
Last updated: 19-Jul-2014

Your scammer is in Romania.
X-Originating-IP: [204.152.214.235]
network:Auth-Area:204.152.214.0/23
network:ID:NET-18253.204.152.214.232/29
network:Network-Name:Public Network IP Range
network:IP-Network:204.152.214.232/29
network:IP-Network-Block:204.152.214.232 - 204.152.214.239
network:Org-Name:Amplusnet SRL
network:Street-Address:Bobalna 20/27
network:City:Tg.Mures
network:State:Mures
network:Postal-Code:540014
network:Country-Code:RO

When you cut off contact, don't give him any clue why you're cutting off contact. Don't point him to this thread. If you have the fake check at that time, you may get threats of legal action from the scammer for stealing his money. Ignore them. Do not cash or deposit it. Refuse delivery, showing the UPS guy the emails, or take it unopened to the UPS station.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#225959 by emily64 Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:00 am
SO. I just got an email from the UPS saying that the check was delivered and signed for in a completely different state than mine... What do I do? Is this good or bad?
#240141 by nifty1jg Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 pm
Amazing I have just gone thru this with the same firm. I read the dialogue you posted. It is word for word the same responses I received. I literally have them on the line now via IM. They have asked about bank information, where to send the documents. It is so surreal.

I am so glad you posted this. It is so relevant and so true.
#240170 by netforce Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:14 pm
me, too. thanks for the good article. I had the same interview, and got a check. Then called the FBI. Your post protected me, emily
#240187 by nifty1jg Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 pm
It is actually the same email as before:
[email protected]

I am actually enjoying talking with them. Knowing this is a scam it makes it fun to banter with them and watch their online English get worse.

They want me to order all my materials from their supplier. But because the supplier's website is being re-constructed I need to send money via Western Union to the address of the supplier. Alliance will reimburse me they say.

This is too funny for words. I am intrigued by all this.
#240795 by burakace Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:09 pm
I am going to scam bait them aswell, do you have a copy of the first email they sent you? did the interview come before the pre-training task?
#243363 by Cassrae Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 am
I am so glad I found this site!! I was contacted by a Heather Barkwill on peopleperhour.com for a data entry job. I did research and this all seemed to be legitimate. Thankfully I just didn't feel right about this and continued to research and came across this forum.
Like another person said, I am concerned that they have my address.
With that in mind, I do have a question. After telling me yesterday I got the job, she gave me an email to contact my supervisor and so on. As far as I know the check has not been sent yet, should I contact her and tell her not to bother sending it, or just ignore it and tell my family not to accept anything from FedEx?
Again thank you for posting this!!