Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#290730 by OMGIWasScammed Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:58 pm
Hello,

My name is [REDACTED] and I believe that I am being scammed. I have never seen anything like this before. I searched online to see if anyone else has experienced this, and I found nothing. So here goes... I am actively seeking a job. I am sure that my basic information is out there for scammers to use. I received a shifty text message from (513) 909-8431 saying:

"Hello [REDACTED], I am Mrs Iori Armstrong from Convergys Corporation. The Human Resources of this company have decided to give you a chance to proceed to the next employment process. Your resume has been reviewed and you have been considered and scheduled for an on-line interview to discuss more about the position offered. This is strictly an online and work from home job the working hours are flexible and you can choose to work from anywhere of your choice, the pay is $38 per hour training is $20 per hour. You are qualified for an online interview via Google Hangout with the hiring manager Mrs Andrea Ayers... Please contact her on Google hangout at ([email protected]) if you dont have a Gmail ID, you are required to set up a Gmail account (mail.google.com) and a Gmail hangout at (www.google.com/hangouts/)"

-Okay, $38 and $20 per hour is a bit much for a basic work from home position. Also, I previously worked for Convergys and I know that their at home positions start at $9 per hour. So I looked up the gmail account. This person is posing as Andrea Ayers. The account is pretty basic as in there is nothing on there (I looked at the Google+) and this person clearly took a photo of Andrea from online and posted it to the page. There are a lot of red flags!! In the text message, it said that Andrea Ayers was the hiring manager. When her name is googled, it says that Andrea Ayers is the President and CEO of Convergys Corporation. So why on earth and how would a person of her status have the time to offer me a job? Especially on Google+?? I am sure that she has more important things to do. I decided to play along to see how this so called "interview" would go (The following messages will be pasted from my messenger on Google Hangout):
"Me:
Hello Mrs. Ayers, my name is [REDACTED] and I wanted to talk with you more about the online work from home position that was offered
9:31 AM

Andrea Ayers:
Welcome to Convergys Corporation
To acquaint with, Mrs Andrea Ayers, I appear to you as the Hiring Superior/Client Services of Convergys Company Corporation. I have experience crossing the full spectrum of the HR discipline including talent management, rewards, talent acquisition, organization design, mergers, divestitures and acquisitions, engagement and culture work, I also earned my Bachelors degree in Sociology at California State University. I'm a dual citizen of the USA and Canada, and my working with Convergys Corporation is because the company culture and values, including its focus on customer service are all remarkable. Everything i have accomplished in life has been on my own. I am very energetic and very driven to better my life. I give 150% on everything I do.
We welcome and acknowledge your interest in the company,Before we commence with the job briefing and interview, i would like to apprise to you that we are sorry about our unseemly approach if this interview conducting method is unprofessional to you or if you are new to all this, but i believe the world is always advancing so it is important to stay on top of things as change is inevitable.
I will like to use this medium to first, congratulate and welcome you to one of the best successful firms today Convergys Corporation. I am here to sum up you more about the job employment with our company, to conduct the On-line job briefing and interview with you and i suppose you are wholly prepared to know and hear more about the opening position we have in offering you.

Me:
Yes ma'am. I would like to hear more about the position.

Andrea Ayers:
Convergys combines cross-industry expertise and experience with market-defining customers to make connections between makers and markets worldwide. We’ve gained unique insight from working on innovative products and disruptive technologies that we share with business leaders, showing them how strategic research and development can become a tool for managing their future. We use the power of connection to help them make amazing products, discover new revenue opportunities, and accelerate time-to-market.
Convergys is a leading provider of customer management solutions for companies across the country and around the world. For more than 30 years, we’ve worked closely with some of the most notable companies in the world, creating innovative ways to enhance the relationships they have with their customers. The incredible success we’ve had is thanks to the nearly 76,000 employees that use the training they’ve received here to manage billions of customer interactions every year. And that’s why we need you. We’re looking to add positive, motivated individuals to our team – people who are eager to learn our business, grow in their careers and advance within our company.
We are currently hiring from home at the moment and also mainly to create employment opportunity for the less privilege, and also to decrease the rate of unemployment in the economy, We offer solid creative ideas from the world of life insurance and life annuities which reduce your income taxes. Less tax will increase your yields and net worth substantially.
This position is currently available online as a work-from-home job. This means everything is handled online from a remote access point. Working hours are flexible, when working from home, you have the benefit of choosing your location of work. For example, one may choose to work using a wireless internet connection right on the beach! Benefits : Health, Dental, Life and AD&D Insurance, Employee Wellness and 401k plans.Paid Time Off and Holidays with Generous Company Discounts.
Our strategy for progress: We are looking to hire nationaly. Cause the company is looking to expand it's services .You can as-well schedule your own working days and hours that will suit you since the working hours are flexible.
Travel wouldn't be necessary only when the company's Anniversary is taking place.
Please ensure you read carefully as we proceed . OK

Me:
I have read everything carefully.

Andrea Ayers:
Our employees are paid 35.00 hourly. Training is available and it would be carried out via phone and On-line, Strictly for 5 days. Employee will be paid for their training with awesomely rate of 15.00 hourly. Training hours are 3-4 daily. The training sessions and hours are also flexible. Working Part Time is 25 hours and Full Time is 40 hours weekly. This is strictly on-line and a work from home job where everything is done on-line remotely. You can choose to work from home or anywhere of your own choice. The working hours are flexible.
You'll receive payment every Friday of the week via Direct Deposit,Credit Card Wire Transfer or Cheque/Check.
The open position's is that of an Office Manager, Data Entry, Healthcare, Administrative Assistant, Finance, Customer Service, Accounting Clerk, Bookkeeper, Accounting Executive, Clerical Administrative, Analyst, Payroll, Medical Billing & Coder and Medical Biller...
Which are you applying for ?

Me:
I am applying for the Healthcare position.

Andrea Ayers:
Eligible Employee who is committed in making our company successful, We have designed a Total Rewarding programs that is intended to take care of you and your family when you need it most. Day to Day Living - Auto & Home Insurance, EAP, Legal Plan, Vacation and Holidays, Tuition. Financial - 401K Savings, Profit-sharing. Health Coverage - Medical, Dental, Vision, HCRA. Life & Disability- Basic and Supplemental Life and Accident Insurance, Short and Long term Disability Insurance. Wellness- Fitness and Weight loss Discounts, Tobacco Cessation. All these are available for both Full-Time and Part-Time Employees.
We have what it takes to be great. We’re brought together under one vision. We share common values that form the basis of a well-understood and effective culture. We enjoy a time-tested business model with proven strategies and goals. We benefit from an operating philosophy that provides sustainable, competitive advantages. We possess the know-how to execute well, and most of all, we have great people

Me:
Yes ma'am.

Andrea Ayers:
You will be responsible for collecting, analysing and recording of payment slips,invoicing into the database.Account receivable and Account payable.
We want you to get along well with others, as well as working efficiently on your own. We are looking for an employee who can develop and excel while given the chance to be a productive applicant to the company. You'll undergo a one week training from our professional supervisor's,he/she will be training you on how to work with the programs which you will be needing to start working with accurately and other Data entry works you will need to get done. Your training is going to be done online through your PC and Phone.

Me:
Okay. I understand.

Andrea Ayers:
Are you currently employed ?

Me:
No ma'am.

Andrea Ayers:
What do you understand by privacy and code of conduct in business?

Me:
When it comes to privacy, I understand that I am not allowed to share personal information with anyone without permission. I also understand that all personal information is supposed to stay with Convergys only. When it comes to code of conduct in business, I understand that every business has its on set of rules and as an employee I have to follow them. Violation of both privacy and code of conduct will lead to disciplinary actions including termination.

Andrea Ayers:
What is your greatest strength and weakness?

Me:
My greatest strengths would be my ability to learn quickly and my endurance to stressful work situations. My greatest weakness would be my perfectionism.

Andrea Ayers:
Do you have a PC, Printer and Scanner ?

Me:
Yes I own a PC and I have access to a printer and scanner

Andrea Ayers:
Are you proficient in Word and Excel ?

Me:
Yes ma'am.

Andrea Ayers:
Will you be able to dedicate 8 hours of your time to this job position, Monday through Fridays?

Me:
Yes I can dedicate 8 hours, Monday through Friday.

Andrea Ayers:
How would you like to be paid if been offered this position. Via Direct Deposit or check ?

Me:
I prefer direct deposit.

Andrea Ayers:
What Bank Do you Operate with to see if it tallies with the company's official salary payment account ?

Me:
I bank with USAA.

Andrea Ayers:
You have done well so far , I need you to hold on online for 5minutes because i need to forward our conversation to the Head Dept to enable them see if you are committed and ready for this job and also for your consideration Stand. Please stay close to your PC.

Me:
Okay.

Andrea Ayers:
You have done well so far , I need you to hold on online for 5minutes because i need to forward our conversation to the Head Dept to enable them see if you are committed and ready for this job and also for your consideration Stand. Please stay close to your PC.
After due consideration... You have just been confirmed qualified for this job. You are HIRED! and You are now given a chance to show your Zeal, Commitment, Charisma, Diligence and be a productive employee.

Me:
I'm excited!!

Andrea Ayers:
You will start work ASAP once you get your accounting software's working tool's from the vendor agent . Also your W-2 form will be coming along with your software's . Once you get everything from the vendor agent you are to sign on your W-2 form and have it e-mail to me for confirmation..
you will need some Data entry/Accounting software,billing and also a time tracker to commence your training and orientation and also you need the software to get started with work...the work of the time tarcker is to calculate your hours worked since this is an online work from home.

Me:
Okay.

Andrea Ayers:
Here are the name's of the software's you will need to start working with are: Intuit QuickBooks Accounting Software,Sage Simply Accounting Accounting Software,Peachtree Complete Accounting Software,AccountEdge Accounting Software for Windows,AccountEdge Accounting Software for Mac,Sage 50 Premium Accounting 2013 (formerly Simply Accounting),Business2Go software,Bookkeeper software,QuickBooks Pro 2012 software,The General Ledger,software,9.5,Bottom Line Accounting software,Balance Sheet Basics software..
You will need to obtain it from the company certified vendor that is the third party to the company so she will have it installed along with other software programs on the laptop and everything will be good to go .
The company does not have the software programs/Automated Time Tracker because we do not specialize on such equipment. The vendor does.
The vendor will be responsible for installing the software/Time Tracker and any updates and patches,they will also need to perform manual data backups and secure the data to meet HIPAA standards.

The company would provide full funding to all programs and equipments needed, to get you started with training, you're not required to spend out of pocket to get the job.
You will receive a start up check to enable you purchase all the EQUIPMENTS you need to start working with as we will provide for the cost for all for your needed material.

Me:
Okay

Andrea Ayers:
You will receive a certified check in your name issued for the order of your office materials, then you will be referred to the vendor agent in-charge of the installation,update and patch to place your order directly to ensure you appear as the primary owner.
As soon as the check its been issued out to you i will notify you and provide you with the tracking number so you can keep track and know when it will get to you .

Me:
Okay.

Andrea Ayers:
Note: Once you receive the check you are needed to have it deposited to your account using your debit card, which is deposit via ATM. Then the funds will be cleared, credited and made available within 1-2 business days or immediately in your account for cash out the next day morning. I will be available online to provide you with the vendor info you will be making the purchase from. reply below if this is understood?

Me:
I understand.

Andrea Ayers:
The check provided will cover the cost for all your working materials and your training supervisor need you to get these programs ready to enable you work accurate with him.
How many days does a check usually take to clear in your account after deposit? and how do you want your name to appear on the CHECK?

Me:
It would take about 2 days. I prefer [REDACTED]to appear on my check.

Andrea Ayers:
All we need from you is good work and trust, you will enjoy every moment working with us.

Me:
Okay. I understand.

Andrea Ayers:
I believe the company can ensure your commitment and full trust right?

Me:
Yes that is right.

Andrea Ayers:
I need you to confirm me with the following: Your Full Name, Full Home Address, Phone Numbers # and email address to enable my secretary enlist them into the Company's Register for proper documentation
Are you there ?

Me:
I'm sorry. I had to step away from the computer.
[REDACTED]

Andrea Ayers:
Note that all hours and time spend online will be put into records you are advise to be here online tomorrow morning as in regards to your update on your start up check and tracking number will be provided to you to enable you track and monitor the check and know when it will get delivered to you.

Me:
Okay. I understand.

Andrea Ayers:
Thank you for your time and i hope you will be a good source to the company. Do Enjoy the rest of your day and Stay Blessed, Talk to you tomorrow.

Me:
Thank you for the job offer and same to you.

Andrea Ayers:
you did not provide your zip code

Me:
Oh I'm sorry. It's [REDACTED]

Andrea Ayers:
Alright"

I am fully aware that I provided information such as my address. I do also understand that all of that can be found on the various job sites that I am currently on. I did not and I am not planning on providing any real information that could be held against me, like my social security number. Like I mentioned before, I have previously worked for Convergys for many years. So I find it pretty hard to believe that I was hired via Google Hangout without EVER submitting an application online, completing an application in person at one of the two sites that are local to me, doing a background check, or a drug test. This person named all of this crazy software and is supposed to be sending me a check so that I can "purchase" the equipment needed. Scam is written all over this situation. I reported the account to Google as a fake profile. This profile should also be reported as "impersonation" but the real Andrea Ayers would have to be the person to do it.

I feel bad for anyone that really believes that they are being offered employment at Convergys Corporation via text message and Google Hangout. I really hope that your organization can put a stop to things like this.
Advertisement

#290746 by Mike Wilson Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:58 pm
Hello OMGIWasScammed,
Thank you for taking the time to post the script from this scam.

Andrea Ayers:
You will receive a certified check in your name issued for the order of your office materials, then you will be referred to the vendor agent in-charge of the installation,update and patch to place your order directly to ensure you appear as the primary owner.
As soon as the check its been issued out to you i will notify you and provide you with the tracking number so you can keep track and know when it will get to you .

The check will be fake or forged so if you actually deposit the check you would be responsible for the full amount of the check once your bank discovers the fraud.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#291527 by OMGIWasScammed Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:07 am
This person sent a check for over $3000. I then decided that I didn't want to play anymore. So I went on to block this person on Google. I guess this person realized I was no longer going to respond, so "she" went on to email me from the phone number I mentioned in the first post. The check was shredded and I haven't heard from that person since
#291528 by Bryon Williams Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:18 am
It is not recommended that you play with scammers.

You are using your real information. The scammer is using fake details.

You received the check? Where?

If you wish to learn how to bait scammers safely please visit http://www.419eater.com.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#304352 by Greenstone82716 Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:50 am
Same scam just different in some ways.
They posted in Upwork, however, their job post was flagged.
They were asking for $950 for the software
As far as I am concerned, if you're looking for a job - the employer should not be asking any money from you. If I have money why would I need a job in the first place.
He goes by the name of Kingston Jones.
According to him:
This branch recruiting is located at 701 Brickell Avenue
Suite 2500
Miami, FL 33131
USA
But you will be working from home understood?
#323091 by eye893 Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 pm
I have received an email from http://www.guru.com for the same from Convergys. They asked to connect to me on Yahoo Messenger, we had the same kind of conversation that you did and they wanted me to pay for some software of value 250$ and they will then reimburse me. They sent me a contract too.
I too was unable to find anything regarding such a scam before giving her my name, address and telephone number. Thank you for your post. It has helped me a lot.

Name : Mrs felicia Nowan (Hiring Manager)
email: [email protected]
#326827 by Ashboom Tue May 02, 2017 12:19 am
Eye893, this is exactly what happened to me. I sent them the $250,which was supposed to be reimbursed. I feel so stupid.
#358407 by mouseez78 Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am
Felician Nowan contacted me too and wanted to know what proof I wanted. Well, I am not going to spend tons of money to loose money. No thank you.
#363977 by Psoto100 Mon May 07, 2018 12:02 pm
I thought I was the only one! They sent me an email offering me a data entry clerk position and they also sent me a contract and an I-9 form. They also told me that I had to open up a bank account that was compatible with the companies account so they could deposit the money to order the equipment and softwares that I need to work. The only difference is the email that is messaging me from google hangouts which is [email protected]. They also told me that the Head Department would contact me and I haven't even gotten an email from them. Would this job be legit?
#371443 by Graham569 Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:39 pm
I recently had an encounter. I join freelancer.com to try and get some part time job. I bid on a project that wanted a customer service rep/virtual assistant. I received a message with a google email address to speak to the recruiting manager.
All in one night through Google Hangouts,I was interviewed through chat,and introduce to The company. Funny thing is all these details lined up with the real CONVERGYS website. I was instructed to pay $200 Usd for some software I would need and I was promised to get the equipments such as laptop,printer, cabinet,desk,chair,scanner along with other computer programs needed to work. Throughout the process I was saying,that this is all too good to be true. I was given a offer letter and I was told that my equipments would come through FedEx as soon as I pay 200 USD.
I went as far as borrowing the money,but through it all I had two good friends looking into things for me. I started using my head on my supposedly recruiting manager which was Erica Caffery,and told her I couldn't find the 200 USD and she asked me to pay 100. Her aim was to get me to pay the same day,and I reminded her that all I had was 10,000 in Jamaican dollars which was about 74 USD,she urged me to pay it. I gotten more suspicious because I started to feel she was rushing me to pay the money,and that's one of the traits of scammers. Luckily right in time on of my friend,found this website and I realized from the previous reviews that there were similarities,so that cemented it for me. I just message her back and tell her how much of a scammer she was,and end the communication.... I almost got caught in their web and they are almost flawless but let's do thorough research before falling for these schemes. When in doubt don't ever commit.
Thanks for the info guys,you all saved me from giving away 200 USD that I didn't even have.
#374193 by Nani Doe Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Oh my god! I almost got scammed. I found them on Freelance, I searched for the company during introductions and thought I got lucky. They sounded so Professional when conversing. I couldn't have thought they would be scammers. So anyways, I searched and look at the the locations where they are based and my country was not the lists (Australia) and thought that it was weird, but anyways I just told my self it's just online job maybe that's why. So, I proceeded with the briefing, I think they just rearranged the company's introduction from online, like wtf. But I ignored that one and proceeded, She told me after the briefing I could ask questions. but she never asked me if I have questions to ask. Anyways, I started to find this very fishy after she told me I have to purchase shi, and I was like wtf? when did big giant companies asks for money fro future employees, what a bummer! (I actually thought they were real, I even told my friend that I found the perfect job for me). Then they bloody sent me the DODGIEST contract in the whole universe! it was in word.dox. I'm like who the fuck uses that for a contract, email also has no company logo or whatsoever, DODGY as fuck. So I emailed convergys regarding this shit. I will be reporting this to crime stoppers so they would be flagged and blocked in this country. I almost believed it. I told them I am desperate for a job as I just got made redundant and that I am a single mum and they had the guts to scam me. What fucking losers.
#424891 by Rolando Role Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Today I got the same situation. Email, then Chat exactly the same as described (copied & Pasted) asked for $200 for Quickbooks, etc etc...
Didn't reply, end of the story.

Email from today (04/14/21)
SENDER: CONCENTRIX COMPANY HR <[email protected]>
Hello XXX.

I have received and reviewed your CV from http://www.guru.com,
i believe you are here for the company briefing and interview, if that is correct please add me up on Telegram

Username: ConcentrixIncHR
Phone number : +1 304 801 3294

Add my phone number to contacts and message me through Telegram.
I am currently online to take you through and provide you with the job Responsibilities,Pay and Full Entails

Thank you.
Last edited by AlanJones on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity