Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#286343 by jobhuntscam Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:08 pm
Hi, I received a request for an interview thru Google-Hangout or Yahoo Messenger yesterday. I applied for this job thru Upwork.
I was interviewed by Kendra Williams and she said she's the Hiring Manager from Houzz.com. The company website is legit but there's no way of contacting them thru phone. I emailed their customer service but I don't know how long it'll take for them to reply.

There's nothing unusual about the first stage of the interview until she asked for my personal information (Name, Address, Phone #, name of financial institution and bank transfer email. (See Below)

I have good news for you, our hiring dept has gone through your answers and we find you qualified and fit for the job, THIS POSITION REQUIRED NO UPFRONT FEE FROM YOU, you will be needing some data entry and accounting software to begin work which includes (sage accounting, ms office, quickbook etc), they cost over a thousand dollars and the company will be sending you a check to cover all its cost (NOTE: It will not be deducted from your paycheck) .Once you receive the check via UPS or FedEx mail, have it taken to your bank, deposit and cash it then withdraw the funds, use $120 to get an Imei time tracker used for recording your hours, keep $120 for home office pettycash once you are done with this work begins immediately
okay.
Kendra Williams
Do get back to me with your contact details in the format below for full verification
Full Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
Bank Name:
E-transfer payment email:

I asked if this can be sent thru Paypal as that's how Upwork use for payment. And she said "No". I gave me Name, Address, Phone and Bank Name but not my E transfer payment email because I don't know what this is. So she asked me to set up one. I didn't and searched thru some work from home scam on the internet and decided not to provide anymore information. Up to now she is still waiting for me to send the e transfer payment email.

My question is, can they do some harm with the information I provided? Here is her email address: [email protected] and [email protected]. I don't how to report it or how we can trace where the address came from.
Advertisement

#286344 by Bryon Williams Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:16 pm
It is 100% a scam.

Real companies do not do interviews via yahoo chat or google hangout.

There is no need for a company to have your financial information.

This scammer wants to send you a fake check. Have you deposit it then forward some money to a third party.

You will later find out that the check was fraudulent. You will have to re-pay the bank of any monies withdrawn. Your bank may also close your account and report you to Law Enforcement for financial crimes.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#286345 by Bryon Williams Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:21 pm
Stop all contact with the scammer. Do not tell him why. Just disappear. If you receive the package with the check just refuse delivery and inform the driver its a fake job scam with a check.

It also appears that the scammer was setting you up to be a money mule accepting stolen money in your bank account.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#286346 by jobhuntscam Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:28 pm
Thanks for your reply. I knew it from the start that this is a scam. I applied for this job from Upwork so I kinda decided to see if it's a scam. Once they started asking for my bank information and declining to pay thru Paypal I felt that I should report this or just inform others so that they won't fell victim to this type of scam.

Would they be able to do some harm if they know my name, address and phone #?
#286347 by Bryon Williams Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:33 pm
You should not have anything to worry about.

Paypal is not safe either. The scammer can have his other victims pay into it or he could use a hacked/phished account.

ETA: The person who hires you pays Upwork through paypal? Then Upwork pays you? Is this correct?

#286348 by jobhuntscam Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:40 pm
Yes, They pay Upwork then Upwork pays me thru paypal.
The cheque that she's supposed to send me is for the accounting software.

Do I need to close my email account that I used to contact her?
#286349 by Bryon Williams Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:43 pm
There is no job, she is actually a he in West Africa and there is no software.

The scammers goal is to steal your real money with his fake check.

#286378 by vonpaso xlura Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 pm
Also, don't report the scammer's email addresses to Yahoo or Google. You've posted them here; we want other people targeted by the scammer to find your post if they search for the addresses.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#317936 by Schelle Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm
I received an email from Mrs Stacey Branham, [email protected] stating that my resume was reviewed by their "HR department." I was to set up a Google Hangouts ID and invite the "Hiring Manager", Mrs Amanda Williams, [email protected] for my interview the next morning.
I also received the exact same "good" news from their hiring department and the follow up request for personal and financial information. I did not give them any of my information.