Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#328858 by upworkuser2017 Tue May 23, 2017 9:47 am
I was contacted through Upwork.com by this scam. They offer to pay $30 per hour for data entry from home and use google hangouts to contact people. They use actual pictures of actual employees of the actual company MedStar Health, but they are actually not affiliated with MedStar, and they will eventually ask you to pay upfront for training materials and get your financial info for payments. They use these emails:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
You speak with:
Sabrina Carter
Roby Hunt
Brent Gilmore

They will not give any phone numbers to contact until after you are hired, I confirmed with actual MedHealth that this is not real and is a scam.
Advertisement

#328877 by sheenae Tue May 23, 2017 3:32 pm
I am so glad that I saw these before I went any further. Same thing happened to me today!! Different names of course but the smae things
#328878 by sheenae Tue May 23, 2017 3:36 pm
Here is the "interview"...I literally copied and pasted someone else's answers to the questions after I saw a post on here.

How are you doing today?
What questions ? I am here to put you through in any difficulties
I am good thank you. How are you? My name is just Sheena...no e at the end.
Okay no problem
I am fine too
THe first question is about the amount of hours that I need to work in a day....in the interview I was told 4 but the acceptance letter said 5 hours
Also, if I am just doing part time what would the requirements be as far as time I need to work each day as well as what days of the week
The regular pay rate is $30/hours and you will be paid $24hours while under training here. You will be getting your payment weekly or bi weekly on your medstar health debit card
You can choose to work during morning, afternoon or night you just have to make sure you complete the task that will be given to you
I hope you understand this perfectly
I do but you did not answer either one of my questions
It's 5 hours but you can choose to work 4 hours
Does it have to be all at one time or can i spread it out throughout the day?
And still the 6 days a week at part time?
You can spread it out throughout the day and it will be 3 days in a week for part time
Can I choose to do either or once I choose one I'm locked in? Meaning if one week I have more time and want to do more days is that possible?
Sorry for late reply I lost connection
Yes you can
Oh you're fine. Ok perfect....I think that cleared up all of the questions that I had about that. Now I just need to know about the training and what I need to do
Thanks
Can we proceed?
Are we connected?
yes
Next :- HOL registration
ok what is that?
You will now advance to register your Home office location with the Finance department.

You are to edit your home office location in this format as listed below.
Name:
address:
state:
city:
zipcode:
cell:
interview code:
When you are done, email this to me first to review before you email to me.
Subject message : HOL Registration.
ok I just emailed it to you
You are now cleared to resume your pre-training.
Welcome to your pre-training. The importance of the pre-training task is to make an assessment on how well an employee is able to follow instruction to the detail given the default instruction source (To prove an effective worker: less detailed instruction does not deter how well task is carried out) . This will show that the employee posses the technical-know-how required for the position.

I will be asking you some questions and you are t give me your answer immediately okay?
Ok....I have a patient coming in to my current job in about 15 min....will that be long enough to answer your questions?
At all
Just update me when you are done
I will be here waiting for you response
Take your time
How long do you think that it will take?
It depends on server and how fast you are to complete every task that would be given to you
Ok. Just to make sure that there is sufficient time then I will be available in two hours.
My afternoon is open at work so I will have plenty of time, just in case, I am pretty fast and efficient but I would rather not risk an interruption
No problem
Let me know when you are here
Ok sounds good! Talk to you soon!
10:59 AM
Hello, I'm ready whenever you are
Hello Sheene
How are you doing?
Good and yourself?
I am good too
Are you ready to proceed?
Yes I am
Task A:
Briefly explain the Entry and Enquiry Screens and their functions. taking any accounting software into consideration. indicate the software you took into consideration.
Are we connected?
yes
Entry screen would be where you input information, Inquiry Screen is where you look or research information that has already been entered into the system.
QuickBooks is where I used the example from.
Task B:
State Five Advantages and Five Disadvantages of Online work from home
Advantages: 1. flexible hours 2. save on gas 3.more comfortable work environment 4. can concentrate better with out distractions 5. don't have to worry about weather conditions. Disadvantages: 1. still need to get the work done no matter what, i.e. sick 2. no interaction with co-workers 3. using a room in your house as your office 4. keeping the equipment up and running 5. possible power outages causing issues.
Task C:
Highlight and explain Best Ways to Prevent Overdue Accounts using your own words. 5 examples.
You can prevent overdue accounts by setting up auto bill pay thorugh your financial institution. You can have your vendor send you their invoice / statement via email, one that you check frequently. You can reconcile your accounts monthly to make sure you have paid all that were due. Set reminders on the calendar of your phone to alert you when a bill is due. As a business owner who is sending out bills a friendly reminder to the person before the account comes overdue can be helpful
Your next and last pre-training task,which is task D will be done a little differently okay, i will instruct you on how to perform this task before we proceed to Fin dept task.

How to perform task D ------> You are expected to first understand the instructions and what is required of you from the task given. You will perform this task in a doc format (using MSword ). Your complete task should contain the following information : Your name, Interview code and interview manager name . Every other information other than your task should be in the top right corner of the page and contained in a title block. This title block should be in a tabular form. If your task spans across more then 1 page, then all pages should carry this title block on the top right corner of each page. When you are done with your task You export doc/docx file or save as type to PDF format. Attach this file and email to me.
Hello Sheene
I hope you are working on your task D
yes I am
Ok I just emailed it
Now we proceed to Fin dept.
Now you have been enabled to start the Fin Dept questionnaire, to be sure you can proceed with the final task.

Next is Fin dept questionnaire and task.
Is this a scam or is this for real?
This is legitimate I believe you know the company is well known and as a good reputation in u tied state of America we will never tarnish our image
Ok...is there contact information for the HR dept?
Yes. Contact [email protected]
Don't forget to submit your interview code
I would like a phone number not an email address
This is a stay at home work and interview and everything needed are done online .. I am not permitted to talk personally on phone with a client ..I am also a work at home individual like you

I just called the corporate office and they said they do not offer work from home positions
Well I wanted to speak to someone in an office for this company...so can I have the number to the finance department?
They do offer work from home .. if you want to continue a legitimate training then please do and if you all about wanting to know more about medstar then you can call the corporate office you just did and know more and then get back for training
I won't be giving you any of my banking information. I did call them and they said that they do not offer work from home.....so who do I believe?
Actually I'm not interested anymore....I know this is a scam....all of your interview questions are identical to the ones that other people have been given that were scammed by a different company name
I believe you know you are insulting the company?
Um No you are insulting my intelligence
It's not necessary you proceed
I just called them again nd they said that under no circumstances do they have any work from home jobs
I have been on this field for a couple of years as a best supervisor for medstar health
Can you give me the number you just called
You don't have your own corporate office number?
I have and I don't know where you gotten your own from
What do you mean they do not offer work from home?
I got it from Google.....you are a scam! I am reporting you
Thank you for wasting my time
Okay
Am sure you will be punished for spoiling what have been working for all day and night.
Scam, I will never involve myself in it
Work on your English skills as well....for being a supervisor my daughter speaks better English than you

Thank you too
I am sure that I won't be punished....you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. I am calling the police to report you.
Can I have your contact for better conversation?
I personally want to speak with you
You just told me that you are not permitted to speak with anybody on the phone and now you want me to give you my number?
I am asking you that because of the way you spoke to me
So now you want to speak to me because I said you were a scam??
#328909 by Tim Atem Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 am
Thank you for posting. In the future, please do not tell them you know they're a scammer and do not tell them why. This only educates them and helps them to make their scams more convincing.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#329739 by perlaba Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:14 pm
Mod Note: The scammer is pretending to be the real MedStar Health.

Thank you very much for posting this. I got involved in the same scam. I was actually doing some research about Medstar Health and found that the company is legit. So I took my chances to so their '' interview '' via Hangout, which they require you to have in order to proceed with the interview. While the person was asking me some questions vie Hangout, I was becoming more skeptical about the job offer and I am very glad that I found this forum.

Thank you guys!

Anyone who is going through the same scam, do not send any information about yourself because they will ask you to send a copy of birth certificate/driver's license or passport. Be aware!
#329740 by Bryon Williams Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:20 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

The scammer is pretending to be the real MedStar Health.

I am glad you found this thread.

Can you post any details that are not already posted? Like new email addresses, names and phone number.

Hangout user name?

Just do not post any of your personal information.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#329746 by perlaba Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:20 am
Definitely. Here are the details :

Name : John Thomas (same for Hangout)
Email address : [email protected]

He didn't provide with any phone number. He claimed to be the interview manager and he sent some interview details and an interview code to proceed on Hangout. Also, he sent a job description file in pdf format, using the Medstar Health logo with a fake signature of the CEO. In the job briefing file, they talk about the company's history and explain the job tasks. They also say that they will send some equipment at home to set up your work station (the material includes some Apple Macbook, laser printer, laminating machine, paper shredder and a headset).

During the interview, I was asked these questions :
- are you currently employed
- why do you need this job
- how would you describe your work ethics
- have you ever worked from home before
- What is your current typing speed and do you know how to make use of \ms excel
- What milestone did you accomplished in your last job that was remarkable and would love to share
- Where do you see yourself with Medstar Healths months from now
- If you had a job to do and there's no or limited time to get it done, How would you handle the situation
- Do you see yourself as a regional manager someday for Medstar Healths
- How much training do you think you need to become a productive employee
- What do you understand by privacy and code of conduct

After I was done answering his questions, he said that we will proceed with a health questionnaire and this is when I figured out it was a scam.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again!!
#330728 by Cristae Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:13 pm
I was the same you know. They both talked about the same company and the same briefing file.

I'm also in Canada and they said that I shouldn't mind it even if the job briefing only talks about the U.S.

But before I can even get to the interview part, they said that they need my profile to be activated and uploaded.

I asked to where. They said to Medstar database and because I'm not in America, I will need 120 USD so that means 200 CAD for me. (I really should have gotten suspicious at this point.)

They said that all the funds spent are refundable at the end of my training. But before my interview, my data need to be uploaded and activated. That's why I need an iTunes card. (Really suspicious since why would I need that card. Also, what's the relationship to the job?)

They even said that there'd be a bonus if I follow the instructions properly. They asked me to buy 2 $100 iTunes card and scratch it. I should also provide them with a photo of both cards with the details clearly visible. I should wait online since the activation only takes 15 to 30 minutes. Once my profile has been activated, only then will the interview start.

I was really suspicious since doing this means that even before the interview, I'm also hired. Since there's no way I'm going to pay that amount of money if my position is not guaranteed already.

Reading the posts on this site, it was a good thing that I didn't buy anything.

My interview manager:
Name: John Harrison
Email: [email protected]

There's also someone who contacted me about the same job in upwork.

Name: Casey Gordon
Email: [email protected]

Looks really authentic to me. I suppose I should be thankful of my stingy nature. And experience. Since there was once a job like this only it's printing and mailing checks and I need to buy the right ink. Only that time, I have no money to speak of and no can only reluctantly give up on the job. That's the only case I'm going to buy something for training. If the product is something related to the job andndnnd after the interview. Which in this case, this job doesn't have it.

Anyways I'm digressing. I hope this helps.
#333050 by Sarey13 Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm
I just had this happen to me, and had no idea it was a scam until the lady said I needed to buy $150 in iTunes gift cards. I'd already send them my driver's license photo about a week prior.

The two names I have are:

John Thomas - [email protected]
and
Deborah Clay - [email protected]

I'm not sure what I need to do now to ensure my ID doesn't get used. Advice please? I feel like an idiot. =(
#333139 by vonpaso xlura Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:33 pm
medstarhealths.com is a fake email-only domain. Please post the email from medstarhealths.com with complete headers.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#334040 by janedoe0814 Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:10 am
Please help. I just find out thats it's a scam and I have already provided my passport and birth certificate. how can I stop to make them use my identification anywhere else or do anything with that?.
#334041 by Terminator5 Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:22 am
Report those documents have been compromised to the issuing agency . And set up Google alerts on the info you gave them

Daniel 8 :25
#334042 by janedoe0814 Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:58 am
Terminator5 wrote:Report those documents have been compromised to the issuing agency . And set up Google alerts on the info you gave them

Thank you.
#334054 by Terminator5 Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:08 am
Your Welcome . Can you please post or private message any details from this scam that are not already posted .

Thx

Daniel 8 :25
#334467 by janedoe0814 Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:20 am
Terminator5 wrote:Your Welcome . Can you please post or private message any details from this scam that are not already posted .

Thx

after finding out about this being a scam i stopped responding, I'm not sure what to do.
the responses are something like:
Hello
Let me know when you are here
robinson • Mon, 2:26 AM

Hello
You are reading my messages and you are not replying why?
robinson • Tue, 1:36 AM

Hello
Let me know if you are still interested in this offer.
robinson • Tue, 11:45 PM
1 new message
Missed call from robinson
Wed, 4:06 AM
Missed call from robinson
Wed, 7:04 PM

Task A:
Briefly explain the Entry and Enquiry Screens and their functions. taking any accounting software into consideration. indicate the software you took into consideration.
robinson • Wed, 7:04 PM