Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#338570 by Delgazolucia Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:44 am
I applied to a marketing internship via internships.com. I was emailed the next morning to do an online interview, which happened to be an "interview" via google hangouts by message. I had a strong feeling it was a scam once they asked me to purchase equipment so I can work from home. However, I am now a bit afraid because I gave them my full name (my name isn't very common), address (I excluded my apt number), cell, email, and told him the bank that I use (I told him 2 different bank names when I only use 1 of the two, just in case.. I guess). I'm already looking to deactivate my email, however I'm still a bit concerned. Is there anything he could possibly do with this information??
Advertisement

#338574 by Tim Atem Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 am
There's really not much they can do with the limited information they have. Just ignore and delete any further emails from them and they'll just move on to their next victim.

You can set up a Google alert for your name and/or address if you're worried about the them possibly using them on other victims, if it helps.

Set up a google alert: http://www.google.com/alerts/

But most scammers just want to move on to the next person they think they can get money from. Going forward, anyone offering you a work-from-home job without any formal interview outside of a Google hangouts conversation and asking to send you checks for equipment is a scam.

Thank you for posting!

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#338606 by Delgazolucia Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:14 pm
I see, that's good to hear. I blocked them immediately after the "online interview", but I'll try to set up some alerts as well. I feel a bit better about the situation now, thank you!

I actually purposely extended the time of the interview asking silly questions, just so he won't be able to scam more people that day.. also reported the job posting on internships.com so it should be taken down shortly. As for my information, I guess that's one lesson learned on my end!