Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#340752 by ginevra.andrews Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:12 pm
Hi guys! Would really like to advise everyone to beware of this job scam posted in UpWork. Someone will message you the name of the Hiring Coordinator and he will interview you on Skype.

Email address: [email protected]

Here's what he'll send to you once you add him on Skype:

Before we proceed I would like you to know that the mandate has changed and if you are going to be employed we will be working outside Upwork, we will be paying you directly, providing working equipment and training and we are looking for employees that will work for a long term.

Job Information:
*This is an Online Position.
*Pay mode: Check or Credit card
*Hourly payment: $22.24/hr

THE DUTIES ARE:
Correcting spelling mistakes and grammatical errors;
Working with IT-based publishing systems and databases, as well as via the internet, CD-ROMs or from paper manuscripts;
Liaising regularly with authors and publishers by phone and email;
Ensuring that illustrations are correctly captioned and referred to in the text;
Ensure consistency in hyphenation, capitalisation, formatting of references, etc;
Can you handle these effectively if you are trained towards it?

He's using a legitimate company name for his fraudulent acts : www2.wwt.com TAKE NOTE THIS COMPANY EXISTS, but the employee is not!!!

He will then interview you then after 20 minutes or so, he will say you are accepted blah blah then he will require you to go online by 9 AM tomorrow to start. Here's where it will get interesting:

Day 1
1) He'll ask you to do a mobile deposit
2) He will "Email you a check" then instructions to ensure you deposited it
3) He will explain the reason for sending you the check instead of the company directly buying the packages/software for you
4) After depositing, he will say that's all for today and be online again tomorrow same time

Day 2
1) He will ask if the deposited check is now available in your funds
2) If not, he will ask if you can cover for them in the meantime (Since I honestly believe in this job, I said yes. I'm so stupid)
3) He will ask you to buy amazon cards to pay the "vendor" and even instructed to keep the receipt because it is needed in the delivery
4) He will need the scratched gift cards claim codes and pictures of the receipt

This is where he will take your hard earned money!!! I did send him the codes and everything but there's a gut feel that something's wrong especially the time he did not reply after I sent the claim cards. Fortunately, he was not able yet to claim the cards (BOO!!!!!) and I called up Amazon and they instantly sent the balance in my account. Thank goodness!

Soooo, I just want to warn you that no matter how interesting or appealing the job is, please make sure! Ask for a company ID, or better call up the company the person is supposedly working for. Even outlook emails can be deceiving (that's why I trusted him in the first place), and even if you search on the internet and can't find any trace of the email, be cautious. That might even suggest something suspicious is happening because there's no internet footprint.

May karma be with these scammers!!!!!! :bondage:
Advertisement