Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#98015 by Dotti Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm
I know this is an extremely stressful situation for you both, but being proactive is the best way to prevent it becoming something worse. Thousands of normal, intelligent people have fallen for this scam--just look on this website alone and you will see lots of examples. These criminals prey on people who are in need, and they wouldn't continue to do it if they weren't successful.

Definitely bring all of the related information to the bank, as it is the information that shows he was not a knowing participant. Don't wait for the "contract" to end. He may have signed a bogus document, but the other "party" is hiding behind fake identities and lies--in the end, there is no legally binding document. If he waits too long, they may initiate another transfer, causing even more problems.

After you do that, if you can post the first emails from the scammers here (include their email addresses, remove your name and email address), it may help others to avoid being scammed. These scammers typically send the exact same recruiting emails to hundreds of people--so it is a certainty that others have received or will receive them.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
Advertisement

#99980 by kiki35 Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 pm
Hi

Just an update. My husband rang the bank and spoke to someone in the fraud department. They were really good and made him an appointment at the main branch. He went in and they took copies of all the stuff and took notes. They changed his bank account, card and pin all in one go too!
They asked my husband to contact the police and give them the money he was 'paid' and explain, a plain clothes policewoman came to the house took a statement and copies of all docs, then the next day a uniform policewoman came and took more details and the money.

Both the bank and the police said that he most likely would not have to pay the money back and did the right thing by notifying the bank and police and that if he had done it more than once he would be liable for fraud.

He admitted he was taken in by it all and since then he has beaten himself up about it ever since! We are now waiting to hear from the police and the bank as to what happens next. My husband emailed the scammers the next day after we discovered it was indeed a scam and said he had a full time job and didn't want any more transactions. The number he rang just went to answer phone and he has had no response at all.

I can ask him if he still has the details so I can put them on here, but its all UK based.

We want to thank you for all your help. I just hope someone will read this thread before its too late!

If there are any major developments I will post again. Hope not tho!!

Thanks
KIKI35
#100047 by Bubbles Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 am
Thanks you for the update Kiki. We don't always hear back what has happened when we help a victim.

In my experience, it is always best to go with the direct truth as your husband found out.
Both the bank and the police said that he most likely would not have to pay the money back and did the right thing by notifying the bank and police and that if he had done it more than once he would be liable for fraud.

Sadly, the police in most jurisdictions hear about this kind of situation more than they would want to. Scammers are getting more and more greedy and brave. I would be very surprised if the scammer is actually in the UK. Scammers use the country borders as part of their protection, so they are less likely to scam someone in the country they are in.

Please do post up any and all information you still have from the scammer. Email addresses and headers from them are helpful.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.