Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#54924 by kashmirichai Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:28 pm
I replied to an ad on Craigslist:

Administrative Assistant to provide secondary administrative support to CEO, Chairman, CFO and General Counsel. Individual will back-up front desk, answer phones, handle basic clerical tasks, set-up meetings, greet clients and visitors, update contact databases, coordinate travel both business and personal and take on various projects as assigned. Ideal candidate will have strong MS Office skills, strong writing and strong problem solving skills, a minimum of two years experience working in administration in a corporate environment, strong communication skills, the ability to work well in a team environment and a Bachelor's degree. Gorgeous offices in midtown and great team culture! If interested and possess all of the above qualifications please email resume

Sounded like a great opportunity. So I sent my resume.

Got two separate messages from TWO different email accounts, signed by TWO different people claiming to be the SAME person. CAN'T KEEP YOUR OWN SCAM STRAIGHT DUDE.

Here they are, they are exactly the same as the previous ones:

reply-to H Clerk <[email protected]>
subject Re: Admin Assistant/Receptionist

Hello,
I just received your email,that you are interested in the job.I am replying you back this job offer,because i really needed someone urgently to start working for me as my persona assistant.My name is Scott Thomas and Mr Wimi Jonx use to be my personal assistant and he just traveled back to his country (China) on an emergency.I would have loved to meet up with you to talk about this job,but I am currently away on business trip.I am currently in Australia so there will be no interview,till i get back to the USA in July,then we can meet and talk more about the future of the job. All you need to do is follow instructions......I am an Artist.I just started my own art gallery here in Australia, I buy ideas and materials from ancient cities and I have got so many clients as companies, individuals and government and private museums.

I am looking for someone who can handle my personal and business errands at his/her spare time. Someone who can offer the services listed on the advert on craigslist such as receiving calls and reporting back to me what information you got from clients, replying emails and printing invitation for exhibitions, shopping for gifts and materials, paying bills as well as receiving payments from clients when am not around.
You will work on the average of about 5-10hrs per week and I will start by paying you $250 per week which will rise to $400 depending on how effective you are, the job will start from the moment you start running errands. This job istemporary and could possibly be a permanent one for you based on how you deliver your duties, we will talk more when am back and you can take part more in my successfully growing business.

I will email you the list and samples of pictures of what to shop for when I need you to shop for me and will be precise on what and where, funds will be giving upfront and the shopping must be reported in detailed manner. No heavy
packages is involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them.

Please provide the following information of you, (no mistakes in name as it will
appear on payments):
Full Name:
Full Address:
Apartment number:
City:
State:
zipcode:
(NO P.O.BOX)
Phone Number Cell:
Phone Number Home:
Once you send all this information,i will make a back ground check on your details and will get back to you within 48hrs to let you know if you get the job.

Thank you!
Thomas

from Thomas Harris [email protected]
subject Position Confirmed

Hello ------,

Thanks for the Swift Response,i am more than happy to inform you that your position has been confirmed,i will get back to you as soon as i have Payment for shopping of items Including your salary sent to you with set of Instructions on each task you are to perform.Your Total commitment is However Needed.And this job require you to check your e-mail at least 2 to 3 times a day.

I await your Response

Thanks

Thomas

And at this point seeing the different names/emails, the fact that what he wanted me to do had NOTHING to do with the ad and that he was just SENDING me money, I was like...no thanks. When he started calling me, I told him I found another position and would have to decline. He was mad! He said he already sent my first "package" with my payment in it. I told him I would send it back without opening it once I received it. I had yet to receive it when I got this awesome email:

from Thomas Harris [email protected]
date Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM
subject URGENT

HEY ------ I AM REALLY WORRIED COS YOU HAVE NOT EVEN EMAIL ME BACK ALL THIS WHILE AND NOT EVEN PICK UP MY CALLS..AND I KNOW BY NOW YOU MUST HAVE RECEIVED THE CHECK SENT TO YOU AND CASHD IT.....I WILL BE SENDING YOUR DETAILS TO THE FBI AND THEY WILL BE GETTING IN CONTACT WITH YOU VERY SOON.
THOMAS.

If you know that I've received your check and cashed it, CHECK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. I haven't deposited any of your dirty money.
Advertisement

#54929 by Arnold Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:09 am
Welcome to Scamwarners.
That's a typical fake check scam, whch involves you buying goods for the scammer with your own money. The "FBI" threat is less common, but somw scammers do try and threaten victims into complying.

#55313 by briness Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:57 pm
This is crazy. I recieved the same emails and calls as everyone else! i recieved a check for 3100. my brother told me that its possibly money laudering. im debating on emailing him and informing that im on to him but not sure if i should.

he called me from 447553155103 - idk where the hell that is, but im sure someone could use that info.
he recently emailed me asking about the check. please what should i do?? i dont feel like getting calls from him and emails.

thanks
briness
#55317 by Dotti Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 pm
It is fraud or money laundering, no doubt about it. In most cases, it's a fake check, written on someone's phished or stolen account info. Cashing it could land you in jail.

Either completely ignore him, or just tell him that the bank (or police) told you that the check is fraudulent, and they have advised you not to do business with him. Tell him that any further emails from him will be forwarded to the police and the FBI.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#55334 by Arnold Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:51 am
briness wrote:he called me from 447553155103 - idk where the hell that is

It's a UK mobile number, but the scammer could be anywhere in the world, and it's quite possible that he got one of his scam victims to buy it for him.
Unregistered mobile phones are easy to get in the UK.

#55621 by der_panda Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:04 pm
Hello! I'm new to Scam Warners and I'd like to say THANK YOU for being here. I applied for the Administrative Assistant Ad on Craigslist and when I got a response I was very suspicious. (If it's too good to be true, it usually is.) So I googled around on the internet and found this forum. Here is the email they sent me.

-----------

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:17:39 +0100
Subject: Re: Receptionist/Admin Assistant Application
To: N/A

Dear applicant
This is to update you that we received your email in regards to my posting for A Personal Assistant . I am looking for someone who can act as my PA, Someone who can handle my personal and business errands at his/her spare time.This duties required of you will be needed basically during the weekends and this will give you free time to go on with your regular job.Below are details of what you expected from this job position.

Someone who can offer me these services:
Mail services: Receive my mails and drop them off at UPS, Shop for Gifts,Bill payment ( pay my bills on my behalf),Sit for delivery( at your home) or pick items up at nearby post office at your convenience. Let me know if you will be able to offer me any/all of these services

Where are you located?
I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on vacation with my family in London and soon we would be going to France because of my little daughter love for wild animals and the safari wild life and family addiction to tourism.

MORE DETAILS :
I own a new art gallery in Scotland which just started operations and sales and i am sourcing to buy more art works from professional painters and artist within the Untied Kingdom.This is where you come in. I am willing to pay you in advance to do my artworks and paintings shopping's for me,make payments for them and have them delivered to you. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address.. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience. When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your house and do my shopping.. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content. The content of the packages are art works,paintings,computer and electronics, clothing's and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work only on Saturdays. How much will you charge per week? I am willing to pay $400.00. That is not a bad offer is it?

I need your service instantly because I am constantly out of town. I will return to the state by July so this process will be on going till then with a view to making it permanent when i return. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term though i will still get in touch with you via phone soon as we have an agreement and you start work. Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position. Hope to hear from you soon.I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy packages is involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores.
I will provide you my personal UPS account number for Shipping. All you have to do is provide my account number to UPS and shipping charges will be applied into the account. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them. If I were to mail you money in form of cashiers check or money orders to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? How should your name appear on the money?

Provide me with the following details below :-
Full Name:
Full Address: (NO P.O.BOX)
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
I will be expecting your response towards my request. Hope to read from you as soon as possible.Thanks for your co-operation and understanding.

Best Regards.
Justin Devon
Cheers.

---------

This is the AD I replied to:

Date: 2011-06-04, 6:58PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Part-time position (15-20 hrs/wk)
If position becomes full time (32-40 hrs/wk, medical benefits and paid vacation)
$10-$12 DOE

Looking for office assistance with:
-strong writing skills
-computer literate
-moderate knowledge of Excel
-general knowledge of HTML
-basic knowledge/ability of Photoshop
-data entry
-strong organizational skills
-attention to detail
-ability to work in a team
-positive attitude
will train person

Please attach resume and contact information

* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 2421502855

-----------

Hope this helps others in their google searches.

-Panda
#55622 by Michael Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm
Hi der_panda, welcome to scamwarners.

Thank you for posting this email and his data - it will certainly help others :D
I am very interested in the headers of that email, could you please post them? If you aren unsure on how to find headers or what they are, tell us which mail provider you use and we'll explain. I will need those headers to get their domain, rythmcorp.com, offline :)

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#55650 by der_panda Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 pm
Michael wrote:Hi der_panda, welcome to scamwarners.

Thank you for posting this email and his data - it will certainly help others :D
I am very interested in the headers of that email, could you please post them? If you aren unsure on how to find headers or what they are, tell us which mail provider you use and we'll explain. I will need those headers to get their domain, rythmcorp.com, offline :)

Hello~! No I'm not sure how to get headers. :3 I'm using hotmail for my work stuff. I'd love to know because any info I can give you to help others would make me happy.

-Panda
#55652 by der_panda Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 pm
Sorry for this WALL of Text. Hope this helps. Also thank you Justin for the info~! :3

Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; sender-id=temperror (sender IP is 209.85.214.193) [email protected]; dkim=none header.d=rythmcorp.com; x-hmca=none

X-Message-Status: n:0:n

X-SID-PRA: Justin Devom <[email protected]>

X-DKIM-Result: None

X-AUTH-Result: NONE

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTE7YT0xO0Q9MDtTQ0w9MA==

X-Message-Info: DFa+w7oqK+9KtdTT4RrJBTHk1b3ipUcZammaG0zsct43aekSotEwVtKCetpe9VHkAf1I1z55R37O2bt5PYBD2GOiQNtbgkT1GRkxCWh5zal8p0JdWOSQd/wD1hZDY2AhxQzkJTnZ+00=

Received: from mail-iw0-f193.google.com ([209.85.214.193]) by snt0-mc2-f23.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Thu, 9 Jun 2011 05:17:40 -0700

Received: by mail-iw0-f193.google.com with SMTP id 19so395266iwr.0

for <EMAIL REMOVED>; Thu, 09 Jun 2011 05:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

MIME-Version: 1.0

Received: by 10.42.151.72 with SMTP id d8mr1075930icw.26.1307621859887; Thu,

09 Jun 2011 05:17:39 -0700 (PDT)

Received: by 10.42.241.69 with HTTP; Thu, 9 Jun 2011 05:17:39 -0700 (PDT)

X-Originating-IP: [68.38.84.142]

In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>

References: <[email protected]>

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:17:39 +0100

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Subject: Re: Receptionist/Admin Assistant Application

To: NAME REMOVED

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=90e6ba1efdd6758a8804a546701e

Return-Path: [email protected]

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 09 Jun 2011 12:17:40.0881 (UTC) FILETIME=[3A6D7810:01CC269F]

--90e6ba1efdd6758a8804a546701e

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
#55665 by Michael Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:47 am
Exactly what we needed. Thanks! :D I know it sometimes looks like a whole bunch of text and most of it we don't need (and I have deleted that from your message to keep the thead tidy), but it contains the evidence necessary to hunt the domain down.

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#55711 by der_panda Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm
Michael wrote:Exactly what we needed. Thanks! :D I know it sometimes looks like a whole bunch of text and most of it we don't need (and I have deleted that from your message to keep the thead tidy), but it contains the evidence necessary to hunt the domain down.

Thank you~! I wasn't sure what to delete but I figured you would help. :3 Good luck hunting him or her down!

-Panda