Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#21172 by jkc1682 Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Hello everybody?
I posted my resume online recently and I have been contatced by Michael Garcia, claiming to be a personal training manager for Bechtel Group INC. He sent me the job offer through email and I have replied to him a number of times. I have faxed him employment forms that contains my personal information such as: My full names, my social security number, scanned copies of my ID's, my address and phone numbers. I will paste here some of our email conversations. Before you skim through these emails I would like to know what kind of harm they can do to me granted they have all my information. They do not have my bank accounts yet. What do I need to do to protect myself? Thank you so much; I wish I had visited google for verification purposes before giving him such information.

Dear (my name)

Congratulations,this date will mark Your first working day as a REGIONAL INVESTMENT COORDINATOR of the Bechtel Group, Inc.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank You for it.

We know that the growth and success of our company is largely dependent on having strong and capable staff members.
We hope that You will make much for our company and will be a responsible employee.
I received all Your documents.
I sent all Your filled forms to HR Department. Please wait registration now usually it is necessary 1-10 days for complete registration in our Company. Actually Our Security Department to verify Your person in anyway so it usually takes over 1-10 business days.
I inform You when it will be completed.

Now Your information:
It is comfortable address for delivered mail and paperworks?
#
#
#
If not please provide us most comfortable address for delivered.

Also is this name right for look on bank check - (my names)
If not - please provide us right.

We hope that You will remain with us for many years and would like to
congratulate You on this.
Enjoy working with us!
Best regards,
Michael Garcia

Michael Garcia
Personal training manager of Bechtel Group, Inc.
Phone: +1-415-685-4397
Fax: +1-415-762-5298

Dear (my name)

Thanks for confirm your information.
I return to you when registration completed usually it take 2-10 days.

Have a great day!

With respect,
Michael Garcia

Dear (my names)

I would like to start this letter from thanking you for applying for the job offered by Bechtel Group. We appreciate the opportunity to meet you and learn more about your interests.

To join our team as soon as possible you have to confirm your intention to work with us by filling out and sending us the EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT and APPLICATION FORM (see attached).

The procedure is as follows:
1. Edit, fill-in (do it with your handwriting) EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT and APPLICATION FORM;
2. Send me these documents by fax or e-mail;
A) A copy of the filled out and signed EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT (You may send only the first and the last two pages) and APPLICATION FORM (You may send only the second and the last pages).
B) Your Photo ID (There will be your personal labour book stored in a staff department of our company therefore your photo will be attached to the labour book)
C) The scanned copy of any of your ID documents (Driver’s licence, Passport, ID or other)

Note:
Please read and fill in all forms very carefully to eliminate possible misprints. Having sent all the forms please wait for 1 day to get a response from me, I will ask you some questions.

You will enjoy the comfort of working with us.
All information will be confidential and will be used for your job.
We guarantee your security. We take the responsibility to send you immediately information about your personal details and your confidential information. Do not worry, information given to us is strictly confidential and only certain range of people has permission to check it. We are completely responsible for the security of your information and its protection from third parties.

My job is to assist you in your training in testing period including communication with clients and investors, processing investments, etc. and I will be happy to be there for you whenever it's necessary.

With respect,
Michael Garcia

Michael Garcia
Fax: +1-415-762-5298

Michael Garcia
Fax: +1-206-426-1014
Advertisement

#21176 by Crispy Duck Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:40 pm
Hello, jkc1682 & welcome.

It's good that you found us before sending any bank account details etc....but dependent upon what other info you have sent, I do not think you have too much to worry about.

Did you send your SS number? If so, I would suggest you advise the appropriate authority (sorry, I know little about the American system). But if the scammer has only your name & address, you should have little to worry about (they are not going to come after you - they are too lazy & there's no money in it for them...).

Bechtel appears to be a legitimate company - however, there is no mention anywhere of "Bechtel Group, Inc". The phone numbers are San Francisco numbers (360networks (usa) Inc. - Ca) but the listed number for the San Francisco office (per the website for Bechtel) is (415) 768-1234

Do not worry, information given to us is strictly confidential and only certain range of people has permission to check it.

That is definitely a scammer's (mis)use of English & although better than most scammers . . . it's atrocious!!

Be aware, though, that as they have you email address, you may now be approached by other scammers, as they trade email addresses between themselves. You may like to consider changing your email address.
#21356 by FTWalker Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:18 pm
Crispy Duck-
An SSN is THE big goal for ID theft. With that and a person's date-of-birth, the door's wide open. That's why here (Ohio), they've actually removed our SSNs from driver's licenses.

For the posters that have had their SSN compromised:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=329

For your driver's license number being compromised, you'll have to contact your state's Bureau of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent). Laws/procedures vary from state to state. It should be as easy as going for a renewal. Emphasis on should. :)
#21374 by Ralph Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:21 am
Most scammers are not interested in ID theft, I do say most as we know some are, if you did hand over those details FTWalker's advice is good and should be taken as a precaution.

The other thing to look out for though is new scams that may now include some of your details
#21487 by xxroxy90xx Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 am
I got the same thing and the emails are exactly the same
i recently emailed him and he informed me hed be sending me a check
by mail could you please tell me what has happent to you after you sent out your personal info
please help im stressing so bad over this
thank you,
Roxy
#21488 by Ralph Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:51 am
Hi Roxy

Dont be too alarmed, you are not in any danger and so long as you take some precautions you will not be scammed either.

First up, regardless, do not reply to these people or anybody else in regards to this.

If the check arrives, you have 3 main choices;
Take it to the police unopened (or with the envelope if you do open it) and let them deal with it
Destroy the cheque by ripping it up
Write in big letters "FAKE" accross teh cheque and keep it as a souvenir

Personally I would lean towards option 3, then display it where people will see it, it will remind you to be careful and create a talking point where you can teach your friends and family about scams, just be sure that you mark it as fake or you may end up in trouble with the law.

As for the scammer having your details, this may mean you might get an increased amount of scam emails, be on the look out and be suspicious of anything that mentions money, scam emails may now include your real details, they may even be from scammers pretending to be the police and insisting you pay money to the original person, ignore these and let us know so we can set you straight.

If you have given your bank details, then you will need to talk to your bank to have the account details changed.

Follow these instructions and you will be fine
#22598 by yours Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:54 am
oh my god.
is this really a fake job?
i was so desperate for a job. i got this offer. i checked the corporation on website so i didn't think for a second that this could be fake. i sent all my information like a month ago. i am the most unluckiest person on earth. you know why? because i told my family i am a regional investment coordinator. now they will be disappointed. anyways so now that they have of course all my information. i have even received a check and i am supposed to withdraw the cash and transfer it to someone. after reading this, i am not going to do it. so now what do i do? should i just take the check and send it to where it came from? i mean i have no idea what to do? very frusterated and annoyed with the people who think it's fair to play with someone's emotion. question is i have deposited the check and now what do i do? i mean i opened a brand new account at bank of america for this job. oh man i am so mad. should i just email him that i want to quit this job. i was thinking of not taking any action at all and he will automatically stop emailing me. but what about the check? i mean this check looks so real and it's in my account. i think i will just send it back. i am a little bit relieved that i didn't transfer the money anywhere. so i am still at risk of id theft since they have my ssn and license copy. i mean i don't have any money for them to steal since i am broke. come on man what the hell do i do with check? please suggest something fast. are you guys sure this is a fake job offer?
#22599 by Ralph Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:57 am
Hi Yours and welcome to Scamwarners.

First thing is dont worry, you are in no danger and we will help you to sort this out.

The most important thing is to not contact these people ever again regardless of what they tell you.

First step, go to the bank where the cheque was deposited and tell them what has happened, they should be able to reverrse the transaction, whether or not they do, keep a record of who you spoke to and a run down of the conversation.

If you have more cheques, take them together with the packaging to your local police station and explain how you received them.

Do not send them back to the sender.

The bank will reverse the transaction so do not spend the funds from the cheque, keep the money in the account, eventually it will be removed together with a cheque dishonour fee.

Had the scam gone on, the bank would have realised by themselves that the cheque was bad and taken their money back, if funds were not available for them to do this they would most likely contact the police and you could be faced with charges relating to use of a fraudulent financial instrument.

Please do not delete any of the emails from these people, they will be your only evidence that you did not intentionally break the law.

Next thing to do is contact you bank in regards to any of your bank details that you may have disclosed to teh scammer, if you did hand over any bank details, have the bank change the account.

You should also be mindful of any emails you receive in regards to this, you may receive an email apparently from the police or some other government body demanding you pay teh money to the scammer. This is another ploy scammers use to convince you to send money.

Be alert for more scam emails, they may be similiar in nature or completely different, you will be viewed as a good potential victim and as such you may be targeted een more.

If you have any questions now or in the future, please dont hesitate to ask
#22648 by yours Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:28 pm
hey ralph it's me yours
so thanks for your help. i went to bank and actually bank of america on the next day of deposit found out the check was fake. as a punishment i am banned from bank of america forever. i am honestly so mad because i never did anything wrong. now my main concern is that they have my ssn and licence number. i mean as i said if they wanted to steal money, i really don't have much money in my bank account. my main concern is my ssn, can the gov't change it for me?
#22649 by Jillian Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:42 pm
Hi Yours. I'm glad to hear you were able to save yourself from losing money, sorry to hear about the conflict with the bank. Fortunately, there are plenty of other banks out there and you're now wise to this scam.

As for your SS number being compromised, my suggestion is to visit the Federal Trade Commission's website on ID theft. They have sections for you to look at for defending yourself as well as what to do if your information is compromised but you're not sure that it is/will be used. The website for this information is here: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/

Good luck to you. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#22666 by yours Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:06 pm
thanks. i will keep up to date as to what i am going to do. i am probably going to notify ftc so at least, if something happens in the future, they will have the record that i atleast notified about what happened to me. in this way, it will minimize the damage. do you think he was after money only or something else like making duplicate copy of my information as to sell it someone else. it sounds scary to think but it happens. anyways, i learned my lesson never to give out any information online.
#22668 by Ralph Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:29 am
Scammers are primarily only after your money.

In saying that, if the need arises for a new identity and your identity is what they are looking for they may use it.

Unfortunately getting real peoples identification and details is not difficult for them, they would normally have many different people who's identity they could assume so the chance they will use yours is lessened